Project:WikiProject Extensions/MediaWiki Workshops
|Home||Discussion||Participants||Projects||Ideas & Requests||Workshops||Barnstars||Templates|
Utilizing the model set by Wikimedia staff IRC office hours, WikiProject Extensions will hold regular MediaWiki Workshops for developers (volunteer and staff) to present trainings, hold discussions and collaborate on community or WikiProject Extensions projects. Facilitators host the session to introduce any presenters, determine the order of questions, and generally helps to keep things going.
MediaWiki Workshops will typically last one hour, and happen no more than twice a month. Time of day will vary in order to offer people in different parts of the world the opportunity to participate. (Check local timezones) Announcements are made on this page, MediaWiki developer meetings, @MediaWikiMeet on Twitter and identi.ca, MWUsers.org and on the wikitech-l, mediawiki-l, mediawiki-enterprise, semediawiki-user mailing lists.
- 1 How to participate
- 2 Being developed: Git / Gerrit introduction, troubleshooting and discussion
- 3 Being developed: MediaWiki documentation and identifying future needs
- 4 Archives
- 5 Ideas for future workshops
- 6 See also
How to participate
Everyone is welcome to attend. You are not required to be a participant in this WikiProject, a known developer, previous volunteer or other criteria.
Any developers (volunteer or staff) are welcome to sign-up below as presenters to share information on that workshop's topic or help answer questions.
If you haven't used IRC before, it may be easiest to use a web client; this means you don't have to install any software on your computer. Just click here to join in, and then choose a username when prompted: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wikimedia-dev You may be prompted to click through a security warning. It's fine. Another option is http://chat.wikizine.org.
For more information about IRC software you can install on your computer, go to the MediaWiki on IRC entry or the Meta page on Wikimedia IRC. If using dedicated software, connect to the channel #wikimedia-dev on the freenode network.
Date & Time TBD
Learn more about the migration to Git and how to utilize Gerrit. Also an opportunity to ask questions about developing MediaWiki extensions.
Git / Gerrit Experts
Involved in preparation
Being developed: MediaWiki documentation and identifying future needs
Learn more about how to navigate and contribute to MediaWiki documentation. Also an opportunity to provide feedback on future priorities for documentation and ways to encourage your participation in improving documentation.
MediaWiki Documentation Experts
Please add your name if you plan on attending and can help answer questions related to MediaWiki documentation.
- Your username here...
- Git / Gerrit Tutorial - 8 May, 2012
- MediaWiki's ResourceLoader - 23 February, 2012
- Preparing extensions for MediaWiki 1.19 - 13 January, 2012
Ideas for future workshops
- Feedback on and intro to MediaWiki.org documentation for developers / sysadmins / enterprise / etc.
- MediaWiki API:Main page
- MediaWiki ContextSource
- Wikimedia Labs
- m:Best practices in hosting an IRC open meeting
- Wikimedia Foundation staff office hours
- Wikimedia Foundation India programs - Community meetings.
- There were strategic planning office hours every week from 2009-08-24 until 2010-06-30.
- m:Wikimedia meetings for open community meetings