There are many programming languages associated with MediaWiki, including:
- PHP - the primary language that MediaWiki was originally written in, and which most new code in MediaWiki uses
- Lua - language of scripts executed via Scribunto.
- Ruby is the base language for the browser test engine (Cucumber) and is used in Puppet deployment system.
- Python is used in development of many tools such as Pywikibot.
- Many client libraries available at API:Client code, including C++, C# (.NET), Java, OCaml, Objective-C, Perl, Python, R, and Ruby