Multimedia/Standup notes/2019/January

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2019-01-24[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • double-booked all this morning. will miss standup but be at Dev-Design-Rev
  • Looking at planning/scheduling for All Hands (including places to eat on Tuesday)
  • still poking with Plan B search filtering scenarios

Mark[edit]

  • Still working out stuff for next week
  • Handled a few cross-team requests on phab

Pam[edit]

  • Spent the morning on CC0 messaging UI today, will be sharing at design:dev chat
  • Spending the afternoon on search UX

James[edit]

  • Production now has PHP7 as a Beta Feature. Tested and all looks fine.
  • Some community gadgets that relied on CSS classes broke with the train; they're on it.
  • Will work on the CC0 stuff when it's ready; have one patch already written in advance. ;-)

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page ... consolidating markup/css
  • my annoying cold seems to be about to clear up in time for All-Hands - hooray!

Keegan[edit]

  • Community!

Eric[edit]

  • Back online!
  • Will continue working my way through that Onboarding checklist

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW


2019-01-23[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • On-call for community stuff around captions still
  • Working out depicts & other statements plan

Mark[edit]

  • More onboarding/onboarding prep
  • Chime in on the team dinner for next week - we should make a reservation soonish!

James[edit]

  • Mobile editing support is landing. Very rough, and we should but it works.™
  • Code review today, hopefully.

Pam[edit]

  • Working on a mock for CC0 for captions today
  • Alongside Ramsey working on search result filtering stuff (future-oriented)

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings!
  • documentation! (Wikidata/Wikibase strategy stuff)
  • some search result filtering stuff (future work, not to be worried about too much for now)

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page - surprise!!!


2019-01-22[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Hangouts Meet won't let me in, apparently...

  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Search filtering with Other Statements

Mark[edit]

  • Welcome Eric!
  • Final prep for all-hands, various onboarding stuff, etc.

James[edit]

  • Three day weekend means I've forgotten everything I was doing
  • Focus on little fixes as Ramsey demands and supporting Cormac/Matthias.

Cormac[edit]

  • still depicts on File page ... realised I have to handle the case where there is no data yet

Ramsey[edit]

  • Also doing All Hands stuff (might need to chat with Mark)
  • so many meetings
  • helping out Pam with search filtering

Eric[edit]

  • Hi everyone!
  • Still figuring things out today


2019-01-17[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Looking forward to retro
  • Looks like Leszek has a plan
  • A little more onboarding prep for Eric

Matthias[edit]

  • Fix broken captions/description input (for multiple lanugage) in UW
  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Per yesterday’s design team feedback, working on ways to make search filtering easier for non-power users. Have two layout versions in mind, will shoot for having both up for testing via usertesting.com by the end of next week.

Amanda[edit]

  • Posting some Cunningham business to COM:File_captions
  • Shipping cookies!
  • Lurk on the Commons channels

Ramsey[edit]

  • got started early with giving people weird bugs and UBN tickets to look at it when they woke up :)
  • continuing to spot check as much as I can
  • working on deck for "future" grant meeting tomorrow
  • 1:1 meetings today

Cormac[edit]

  • messing about with Matthias's widgets for depicts on File page

Keegan[edit]

  • meetings
  • Community, Community, Community

James[edit]

  • Cormac's depicts read-only for file pages now merged in master.
  • Will probably want to adjust the design to do the tabs?
  • Need to enable federation in production.

PL:

   Some captions I added last week are not appearing on the pages I added them on. They're ok if I purge the page. Works fine for new captions. Could caches have gotten overwritten someplace?
   Given how we hack around with ParserCache objects, yes, things can get messy.
   Plan for posting list of planned changes tomorrow

2019-01-16[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Continuing the community angle of captions release
  • Meetings

Mark[edit]

  • Onboarding stuff starts in full swing (roughly)
  • Meeting day of course
  • Watching, rapt, for Leszek to respond to Amanda
    • Just realized I've memorized the task number. That can't be healthy.

Pam[edit]

  • Have a filtered search page direction I'm happy with, just getting it ready to send to the team (via email) for discussion & also to share at design review today with the design team

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

James[edit]

  • Found, fixed and deployed an UBN bug in TestCommons yesterday. Yay for that.
  • Some cleanup. Working with Cormac on depicts display patch which is looking pretty good.

Ramsey[edit]

  • meeting day!
  • presentation deck for meeting Friday

[PL]: launch retro tomorrow?

Amanda[edit]

  • Starting back up on WMDE/WMF stuff
  • Keeping an eye on community conversations
  • Looking at hiring a technical writer for the GLAM team

Cormac[edit]

  • feedback on depicts on File page first patch
  • code review on search prototype and various changes from James


2019-01-15[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Had a good chat with Eric about basics around our dev environment, he seems psyched! Should get his laptop today and said he might poke around.
  • Not many meetings today, so trying to look at tickets and patches more.

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page - php part pretty much done, just adding feature flag and beefing up tests
  • next: reviewing search prototype again, and pinching some of Matthias's code to make the UX work

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Pushing forward with search filters, thanks to a good talk with ramsey yesterday
  • Keeping an eye on feedback

James[edit]

  • Code review for Comac and Matthias if they need me.
  • Carefully reviewing test-commons with the new train ahead of tomorrow's train deployment to real Commons.

Amanda[edit]

  • Reviewing WD/WB/SD strategy doc
  • Looking at some GLAM pilots
  • Going over caption feedback

Ramsey[edit]

  • double-checking tickets
  • selectively answering some community questions now that things have chilled out a bit
  • meetings
  • hoping to do some presentation work for things we'll do next year and beyond

PL [James}: Is there a plan for All Staff? Do y'all want me?

  • Of course we do <3 Monday afternoon, all Tuesday, Weds afternoon
    • +1

[Cormac] remove MediaInfoEnable feature flag, does it need a ticket?

  • [James] I was thinking we'd wait a couple more weeks just in case we need to disable it in an emergency.


2019-01-14[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

James[edit]

  • We're stil up.
  • Some neat fixes written, some of them have landed.
  • File page design keeps coming up in feedback, shock. :-)

Mark[edit]

  • Watching discussions
  • Chatting with Eric in a bit
  • Try to make sense of our tickets etc. since launch
  • Probably take a crack at reading Matthias's patch

Amanda[edit]

  • Ordering cookies!
  • Watching the pages
  • Bugs

Pam[edit]

  • Good design:dev chat last friday, sent Ramsey an email with updates
  • Filed some tickets/responses for captions

Been working on Searching other statements

  • Later today will catup on scattered feedback/comments from folks
  • Meeting with Ramsey after grooming

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page
  • bit of code review

Keegan[edit]

  • Community stuff - checking on the wikis

Ramsey[edit]

  • catch up on things that have happened over the weekend
  • meetings
  • putting out the small fires


2019-01-10[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Been writing tickets
  • Have a workflow for V2 of Search (filtering with any statement)
  • Will be sharing with Ramsey for review/comments
  • Afternoon slated for mocking up designs
  • Will ping Keegan to ask: would you be up for tag-teaming community feedback on File Captions and grouping into categories/themes?

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • watching for and putting out fires
  • Doing a thing for Wired magazine about Structured Data
  • prepping for day trip to the office tomorrow

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page
  • fretting about live commons ...

Mark[edit]

  • Helping out with testing etc.
  • A few meetings but nothing too bad
  • With all of your feedback, submitting a group travel form

Amanda[edit]

  • Going to spend a lot of time playing with captions, not even ashamed
  • Cookie preferences!
  • Bothering other managers about help getting baselines

2019-01-09[edit]

Amanda[edit]

  • Cookies
  • All Hands SDC hangout

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting day, of course
  • Offsite brainstorming? Email me with thoughts
  • Things seem to be lining up for our release, will be tracking that

Keegan[edit]

  • Reminders about captions, keeping the push
  • Woke with a splitting headache, going to take some time from the screen for a bit

Matthias[edit]

  • Changed caption textareas to text iputs
  • Depicts in UW

Cormac[edit]

  • code review
  • depicts on File page

James[edit]

  • Captions appears good to deploy tomorrow. \o/
  • Final sign-off from everyone appreciated. :-)

Pam[edit]

  • Finishing up design brief for search filters (user flow's been written, tech constraints are already figured out, etc.)
  • Meeting-ful day today
  • Hoping to get to some sketches before the day is over
  • Might be able to line up design research support for the Reuse scenario
  • Would like to attend the IRC office hours, invite me to the cal invite?

Ramsey[edit]

  • So much meeting
  • Misc. communication work between functional groups


2019-01-08[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Felt really bad yesterday but better today
  • Doing some last-minute reviews of our code (non-blocking, I just want to have a good sense of the status firsthand)

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Writing up/revising a design brief for search filters (much of the discussion's already been had, really)
  • Hopefully getting to some rough wireframes done by today/tomorrow morning to share with Ramsey

Ramsey[edit]

  • following up on ticket conversations
  • following up on email conversations
  • will test on testcommons if it's ready
  • working on some project proposal decks if time permits

Cormac[edit]

  • display bug for live
  • bit of code review
  • figuring out that search thing
  • depicts on File page

James[edit]

  • Figuring out broken things

Amanda[edit]

  • Financial projections still not up to date
  • Going to bother Ramsey about baselines
  • Where to ask, "What does Leszek's response mean?"

Parking Lot[edit]


2019-01-07[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Reminding Commons about Caption release
  • Reminder about testing captions on beta

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Amanda[edit]

  • More finances, oh boy
  • Wrapping up and sending grant reviewer responses
  • Do I need to do more stuff for the prefixes or search things?

Cormac[edit]

  • catching up
  • depicts on File page
  • @Matthias is that Search prototype ready for review now?
    • Not "ready" (T212790, T212262), but absolutely ready for review, yes - cool

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • catchup on some leftover things from last week
  • working out all the things that could keep us from launching depicts :)

Pam[edit]

  • Lost Thursday due to being out sick, spent most of last week/this morning on housekeeping (self-retro), phab tickets, doc comments, etc.

Mark[edit]

  • Perpetual catch-up
    • I read this as "pre-nuptial" catch-up
      • That would be one hell of an update
  • I may be roughly as prepared for on-boarding as I can be now
  • Should probably sort out a more concrete rollout estimate as we can (@James)
  • Oh, and I fixed the standup meetings

James[edit]


2019-01-03[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Can’t make it today. Didn’t get much work done (unexpected personal interruptions)

Mark[edit]

  • More onboarding prep work today
  • Not much to report from meetings, seems like this week is dedicated to everyone getting back up to speed

Amanda[edit]

  • Sending out Denny and Mark's grant report comments (some of y'all will have to respond.)
  • Catching up on data training

Ramsey[edit]

  • A couple meetings, including a Product team meet with katherine
  • Testing on Beta still, pondering campaigns
  • Prepping some pres stuff for the future.

Keegan[edit]

  • Prep for captions release w/community
  • Same for statements
  • Meet with Ramsey later to plan out depicts a lil' bit

James[edit]

  • test-commons.wikimedia.org now has DNS and HTTPD config landed (yay)
  • Next step is to actually create the test wiki in production (gulp)

2019-01-02[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Easing back into things
  • Will be doing some onboarding prep for our two new folks this week, probably stretching throughout the month
  • Keeping an eye on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T211800 but it seems like we're coalescing around Option 3
  • Otherwise, meeting day

Keegan[edit]

  • Getting back into it, checking all the wikis and emails
  • Brief vet appointment

Amanda[edit]

  • Financials again!
  • Trying to stay out of y'alls way

Pam[edit]

  • Writing out todos for the week, lots of catching up to do
  • Replied to Matthias on Phab, but need to do another reply
  • Will be sending out the link to ticket structuring doc for team feedback

James[edit]

  • Working on creating test-commons.wikimedia.org with SRE, RelEng, and Reedy.
  • Working from London until the weekend.

Ramsey[edit]

  • checking on feedback from the community Beta
  • tickets! So many tickets :)
  • QA on beta as usual