Multimedia/Standup notes/2019/February

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Contents

2019-02-28[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Yesterday's canceled meetings were replaced today!
  • Followup with community from a couple things yesterday
  • The usual stuff, making sure nothing is burning

Amanda[edit]

  • actually sending conference emails
  • review tech writer SoW and pilots comms plan
  • probably talk to Ramsey about some WD strat papers stuff

Pam[edit]

  • Met with Eric to hash out some design stuff, tickets are now on the Depicts-Crawling board
  • Thanks to Keegan’s facilitation, the community decided on a URL for now for “Learn more” and I’ve updated the ticket: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216763
  • Got design team feedback on draft personas and have a bit more work to do on it, so I’ll be working on that and then I will be making it sharable to the team/SDC stakeholders
  • Spending a little time to clean up that Depicts explainer I made a while back, hope to share it out by EOD

Eric[edit]

  • Working on some design-related tickets after meeting with Pam
  • Docker SIG first meeting this morning
  • Will look into QUnit again if time allows

Mark[edit]

  • Stumbled through some code yesterday with Hana and Eric
  • OK but seriously phabricator
  • Hardly any meetings today
  • Thanks Matthias for the quick fix on the train blocker! +1+1
  • oh geez I should follow-up with Travel before I forget again

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • madness
  • wikidata/wikibase strat docs

HANA[edit]

  • looking more at the sample extension
  • will be looking at code review a bit
  • anything else?

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed train blocker
  • Fixing submission of depicts (not working on new pages without existing depicts/captions)

Cormac[edit]

  • grinding through test failures in the OOUI tabs patch
  • think I've unblocked the javascript part, Matthias is gonna help me out with that tomorrow


2019-02-27[edit]

Amanda[edit]

  • Moar conference attendance
  • Moar pilot SoW review

Eric[edit]

  • Basic empty state dropdown for Depicts autocomplete is working, can submit a follow-up patch to adjust appearance: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T217164
  • Tuning in to the Parsiod presentation happening later today
  • Happy to look at other UI design/ux tickets if there's anything that's ready to go - I'm going to ping you about getting together soon on this +1

Keegan[edit]

  • Community!
  • Talk about potential gadget issues with depicts
  • Try to get some abuse filters
  • Meetings

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings craziness today, as usual
  • Had a QA kickoff meeting yesterday, Edward/Proticom now joining us at 30% capacity to help with QA

Pam[edit]

  • Met with Hana yesterday to learn about Chrome Dev Tools. Would like to partner with Eric next on some tickets if he’s available for the changes that need to be made
  • No update on the “Learn more” link. Sandra gave good info, but need to follow up with Keegan
  • Polishing up the two personas I made as a result of those stakeholder meetings & the audience mapping

Matthias[edit]

  • Bring search prototype back to life

Cormac[edit]

  • spent some time trying to figure out federation on beta ... bit of back and forth with Adam
  • the php tab patch is pretty much ready, have to jump through some OOUI hoops before submitting it for review
  • then onto making it play nice with the js

HANA[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikibase/Wikidata stuff
  • testing the things people claim are merged :)
  • getting to some tickets that might need some attention before they fall off the radar


2019-02-26[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Disable caption & depicts submit buttons until changes have been made
  • Bring search prototype back to life

Pam[edit]

  • Learning basic Chrome Developer Tools (been wanting to for some time) to help illustrate needed UX polish, per stakeholder feedback
  • Making the above mentioned mocks
  • Finished personas, reviewed with Ramsey yesterday, and will be getting a little more feedback from the design team
  • Ramsey and I set a date for next week to hash out search filters

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting days begin!
  • Didn't get around to Phabricator population yesterday, perhaps today
  • Elitre informs me that tomorrow marks seven years since I joined the Foundation - send caffeine

Eric[edit]

  • Got my last ticket merged finally, on the lookout for more
  • Finalizing docker dev setup for MediaInfo work
  • Trying to figure out some PHP stuff (debugging w/XDEBUG, running PHPUnit tests, etc)
    • this is the alias I use for running phpunit ... alias phpunit='sudo -u www-data php /vagrant/mediawiki/tests/phpunit/phpunit.php --wiki wiki'
      • Cormac, are you using AddShore's mediawiki-docker-dev setup for this? Nope, vagrant Cool, I will try to adapt!

HANA[edit]

  • Looking at tickets and WikibaseMediaInfo extension files more
  • still trying to understand wikibase terms - properties, qualifers etc

Amanda[edit]

  • Upcoming conference attendance for SDC folks
  • Re-reading Magnus doc

Cormac[edit]

  • still working on tabs, it's kinda working (for a very loose definition of "working") - fixing it up tomorrow
  • merged one of Matthias's patches
  • have been talking to Adam about the prefixes stuff, gotta check a few things tomorrow on beta

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • still trying to find time to finish Wikibase/Wikidata doc edits
  • Answering questions from GLAM and other teams/people looking to build on our work

PL:

  • team offsite in JulyJune???

2019-02-25[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • missing standup cos kids
  • still working on tabs :( think I'm nearly there now FWIW

Matthias[edit]

  • Added "Items depicted in this image" descriptive title to file page
  • Some UploadWizard and other title-related fixing
  • Added "learn more" and "remove statement"

Keegan[edit]

  • Check up on the community after the weekend
  • Some emails to do
  • Meetings

HANA[edit]

  • documenting how I got WikibaseMediaInfo working locally.
  • finally going to start looking at tickets ...and also trying to better understand designs and work up next

Eric[edit]

  • Worked through some small tickets in Depicts-Crawling
  • Trying to understand the PHP side of our code a bit better

Pam[edit]

  • Finished Audience Mapping this morning
  • Nearly done with personas (will be reviewing with Ramsey today)
  • Will be discussing priotitization of Stakeholder feedback items with Ramsey

Mark[edit]

  • Not many meetings, but a few
  • Phabricator work - I see milestones that need populating!
  • Likely walking through some random work with Eric and Hana async, depending on how that's going

Ramsey[edit]

  • a few meetings
  • still working on Wikibase/Wikidata docs
  • poking with tickets as necessary


2019-02-21[edit]

James[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting day #3 today- everything going well so far
  • Probably looking at more Phabricator work - Ramsey, if you could give me permissions to create milestones in SDC Engineering I'm happy to slog through some of that.

Eric[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • Have meeting with Max Binder today to discuss improving phabricator organization
  • Working on getting MediaInfo running
  • will be out a bit early to go to community event

Keegan[edit]

  • Investigate next round(s) of community communications, newsletter, office hours, whatnot.
  • Eye on community
  • Some backlog stuff to handle

Matthias[edit]

  • Toggle edit mode on primary, and make state changes impossible during submit
  • Render property names the same way in PHP & JS

Pam[edit]

  • Switching up the order of work/deliverables in light of last night's meeting
    • Meeting with NP today to log additional Depicts feedback & make tickets for them
    • Organizing usertesting schedule according to releases
    • Start writing a test protocol (will talk with Ramsey Monday about the techical aspects: where to test and what's available to add in terms of items, etc.)
  • Out on Friday

Cormac[edit]

  • closed a bunch of technical tickets, cos they don't really need product signoff
  • tabification, the php part ... not gonna be finished today, hopefully Monday
  • sorry, I've not really been reviewing anything cos I'm trying to stay focussed on the tab stuff, please ping me if you need me to review something
  • I'm gonna miss design/devs cos I gotta go pick one of the kids up from a party
  • ... and reminder - I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off

Ramsey[edit]

  • meeting day!
  • will try to find to do Wikibase/Wikidata documentation
  • working Pam and Amanda to figure out this new stuff we have to do


2019-02-20[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • Explore Phabricator, work in flight, and follow up with Max Binder
  • Look more into work Eric is doing

Eric[edit]

  • Spent all day on getting a minimal working Docker setup working (web/db/elasticsearch):
   https://gist.github.com/egardner/b4e16a9360c39d7c17a5eb44dd915a7d
  • Will try to add Wikidata to this today
  • I keep encountering the same issues in CirrusSearch installation, may try to file a Phab ticket for that team to look at

Keegan[edit]

  • Watching community spaces
  • Some non-SDC stuff to do today
  • Adjusting to a new gmail in box in the mobile app

James[edit]

  • TestCommons looks fine from my testing, will check out with the train to real Commons later.
  • MobileFrontend is the bane of my existence. +1

Amanda[edit]

  • Talking with Legal about pre-license-notification captions
  • Talking with Ramsey and Sandra about GLAM pilot timelines
  • So much talking, and some mid-term planning writing

Mark[edit]

  • Loving the new more-organized Phabricator system
  • Talking a lot about releases with lots of people - I think we're looking good(ish) (knock on wood)
  • A few more meetings to round out my day
  • @Ramsey - might want to take a look at existing tickets in FileAnnotations to see if my grouping makes sense
  • @Eric and Hana - there are four tickets at the bottom of the depicts-crawling board that may be good starter tickets for MediaInfo work, if you're interested

Cool will take a look!

Pam[edit]

  • Prepping for today's meeting
  • Working on mapping audiences to features (will share with Ramsey/Amanda later today to for feedback/refinement)
  • Comparative review (more around planning vs actual reviewing rn)

Cormac[edit]

  • spent the morning trying to get vagrant working again after upgrading my os last night
  • sifting through ooui code, beginning the tab-ification of the File page
  • merged one of James's clean-up patches, more to come ...

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings. so many meetings
  • working on Wikidata/Wikibase strategy/vision documents

Matthias[edit]

  • Made clicking "make primary" toggle depicts to edit mode
  • Working on making state changes impossible while submitting changes


PL:

  • feel like we need a process for working on tasks that aren't for the next feature release (example - unit tests, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T93273 ) maybe just have person(s) assigned and pick by priority from the SDC-Engineering board?
    • +1
    • or call them out in standup and whoever is free next can take it on?


2019-02-19[edit]

James[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • OOUI tutorials
  • setting up some one to ones (meetings) with you all in the next weeks
  • reading more about mediawiki architecture

Eric[edit]

  • Got a basic local dev env working last week
  • Going to try to replicate in Docker today
  • Happy to look at small issues in MediaInfo, anything q-unit related, or FileAnnotator
  • In the Story Meeting this AM, what board or boards should we be looking at? Was pretty confused last time

I think mainly sdc engineering but it would be helpful if someone screen shared so we all know what ticket we are discussing +1

Matthias[edit]

  • Don't do API calls for statements that have not changed
    • Should we localise our own version of the data model as a model/controller locally for the UI? Upstream are replacing theirs…
      • oh god :(
  • Working on making clicking "make primary" toggle depicts to edit mode
  • Working on making state changes impossible while submitting changes
  • Code review

Mark[edit]

  • I has a laptop again (mostly, sort of)
  • A few meetings (I've split Meeting Day into several different days)
  • Hopefully getting to FileAnnotations task cleanup etc. today after and in-between meetings (this has been on my list for too long)

Amanda[edit]

  • Ramsey, more WD stuff coming at you :(
  • What happened on the wikis over the weekend? And I'm thinking of writing an apology
  • Fyi, I'll be off Friday and Monday

Pam[edit]

  • Worked yesterday, mostly refining some designs (like the FP tab design - will attach to a ticket today) and illustrating some needed design fixes for tickets (mostly Depicts)
  • Today, much meetings, but otherwise have been working on the Search comparative review
  • Sent James an email, hoping to hear back
    • Ooh, will go look.
  • Taking Friday off

Cormac[edit]

  • working on/reviewing various 'crawling' tickets (shit's getting merged!)
  • next one - tabs

Ramsey[edit]

  • a gaggle of meetings
  • the Wikidata stuff I need to do
  • as usual, serving as firefighter as necessary


2019-02-14[edit]

Hana[edit]

  • Another onboarding meeting this morning - will miss standup
  • Continuing to work on setting up my machine
  • FYI Yesterday Pam and I met about trying to reorganize the phab tickets. We looked over existing "releases" (i.e. depicts crawling/walking) versus "epics" (effective search) but we weren't able to take any action. We realized its unclear if we will ship by release or by feature area still - so reorganizing the artifacts at this point seems unnecessary.

Eric[edit]

  • In same onboarding meeting as Hana, will miss Standup & Retro mtg today
  • Also continuing to set up my machine for local Wikidata/Mediainfo development
  • Happy to look into QUnit stuff if there is a ticket for that

Pam[edit]

  • Like Hana mentioned, we met yesterday and discussed tickets/process but did not change any tickets till we hear more information about potential release schedule changes
  • Prepping for the evening meeting (SDC sync)
  • Revising/cleaning up some designs (focusing on FP tabs moslty)
  • Tomorrow, will be focused solely on search experience research for the text+entities ideal search ux concepts i'm working on
  • Will be working Monday (floating the day off to Friday)

Keegan[edit]

  • Interal work to do today, mainly
  • Watching the community stuff still

Amanda[edit]

  • Much reviewing of non-SDC documents
  • Hanging out on the VP
  • Floating Monday holiday to the next Mon (25th I assume?) Yep, the 25th

Mark[edit]

  • Good meetings this week
    • Is this sarcastic?
      • I'm in better meetings than you clearly!
  • Calendar shifting continues, woo
  • Doing some FileAnnotations task culling today in my copious free time
  • Getting my popcorn.gif ready for later tonight

Matthias[edit]

  • Made depicts widget load faster
  • Fixed issue with depicts loading without existing statements
  • Fixed how MediaInfo HTML gets injected into pages
  • Running purge again

James[edit]

  • Will look at tabs if no-one else has (no-one has so far ...)
  • Helping Stas with WikibaseCirrusSearch stuff.

Ramsey[edit]

  • so many meetings today
  • checking community discussions

Cormac[edit]

  • deleting statements done
  • gotta test/merge some stuff for Matthias
  • gonna pick up another ticket in the morn
  • got some unit testing tickets to raise from the earlier meeting
  • shout out to Matthias who is ON FIRE! +1 +1


2019-02-13[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Onboarding meetings this AM, can't make stand-up
  • In the proces of getting a native (non-MAMP/Vagrant/Docker) mediawiki install working locally
  • AKA the joys of Apache configuration

James[edit]

Hana[edit]

  • Also in onboarding meetings- will miss standup
  • I've still been working on getting wikibase/mediawiki working together on vagrant. No luck yet but happily keep getting new errors so I'm motivated to continue
  • meeting with Pam this afternoon to look at phab tickets

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings today
  • Also getting back to phabricator cleanup for FileAnnotations, may need some input from Ramsey/Pam at some point (not super soon, though) - I think they're aware
  • May spend cycles this week on other phabricator cleanup...not to step on toes :)

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings. I actually finished a meeting that was about meetings.
  • Community.

Matthias[edit]

  • Speeding up depicts widgets initialization

Pam[edit]

  • Meeting day, such meetings
  • In between, prepping for tomorrow's meeting

Amanda[edit]

  • More monitoring of file captions stuff
  • Much non-SDC email writing

Cormac[edit]

  • still working on saving deleted data (nearly there I think)

Ramsey[edit]

  • putting out internal files

PL: internal fires


2019-02-12[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • CC0 notice in UploadWizard & file page
  • Added "read" state to depicts widget

James[edit]

  • Sorry, will have to miss this standup and our first story meeting. :-(
  • I can hot-deploy our CC0 notices in UW and FP later if needed.
    • Some follow-up work there possibly? Happy to help out
  • Once the cut happens, the CC0 footer message is ready to land.

HANA[edit]

  • will be trying to get mediawiki and wikidata/wikibase working together today
  • still have some outstanding work for onboarding

Amanda[edit]

  • Moar CDP discussions
  • More checking up on file caption licensing discussions
  • Where do I ask for the alpha to match depicts-crawling?

Mark[edit]

  • The world is dark and full of snow
  • IT problems not as resolved as previously thought - needed to order a new hard drive because somehow I have no working drives with enough space to back up my encrypted image
  • Vet appointment later, hopefully (see above re: snow), then prepping for future work and tomorrow's meetings should wrap the day

Eric[edit]

  • API walkthrough with James & Hana yesterday
  • Also trying to get a local wikidata/wikibase dev env for SDC work running locally
  • Worked through the OOUI tutorial and some docs for the framework

Ramsey[edit]

  • monitoring/checking/signing off on CC0 notice fun
  • talked to Sandra this morning about campaigns and configurable statements (for future consideration, not right now)
  • working on some text for the Wikidata strategy doc
  • cleaning up Phab tickets as needed

Pam[edit]

  • Revised CC0 designs per community/legal feedback
  • Testing stuff on Beta
  • Didn’t get new tickets done yesterday, moving to today
  • Taking a look at possible caption revisions (edit button: pencil icon or edit copy)
  • PL item (see below)

Cormac[edit]

  • loading depicts data into js merged
  • working on saving deleted data
  • also need to review Matthias's read state patch

PL:

How best to test Abuse Filter when we can’t get a good idea of what it’ll look like on production? https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T210753   


2019-02-11[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • Read about product plans and department-level plans
  • Continue exploring mediawiki codebase
  • Meeting with Eric, James

Cormac[edit]

  • load depicts data into js on File page load
  • have to drive a child around unexpectedly, so will be late for/miss standup
  • PL below is mine, can talk about it at planning or tomorrow

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts on filepage - adding a "read" state (after submitting)

Eric[edit]

  • Continued reviewing docs, tutorials
  • Meeting w/Hana & James this AM, then Adam B later today
  • Looking into codebase for MMV, File Annotator

James[edit]

  • Legal things.
    • Good boilerplate response to police inquiries
      • My client has no comment to make at this juncture, your honour.
  • Disabling descriptions in a way that won't break everything.
  • Federation fixes from Wikibase "should" be fixed and live in Beta Cluster.

Pam[edit]

  • Phab ticketing
  • Search comparative review

Keegan[edit]

  • Checking in on our community!

Mark[edit]

  • Weekend was not the time to fix up my laptop - that will happen today
  • Phabricator access restored, so I will be helpful there again
  • Random calendaring needs to happen as well (adding meetings, etc.)

Amanda[edit]

  • More GLAM pilot projects logistics (setting up contracts)
  • Community response for captions?

Ramsey[edit]

  • Putting out fires
  • once fires are out, or at least managed, hopefully back to Wikibase/Wikidata strategy doc

PL:

  • close old/create new ticket rather then keep older tickets with increasingly irrelevant titles/descriptions alive forever? e.g. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208993
  • agree, maybe this could be added to the ticket process slides?
  • counterpoint, discussions on the older ticket provides valuable info in one place [just for argument's sake, I'm fine with either approach]


2019-02-07[edit]

Matthias[edit]

AFK, sleeping, flu... hope to be back tomorrow

Pam[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Taking tomorrow off
  • Yesterday: Meetings, mostly. Useful ones, though!
  • Today: Meetings, mostly; hopefully finding some time in between to keep up with onboarding tasks and maybe follow-up on some IT stuff

Eric[edit]

  • Spent yesterday reading docs, started OOUI tutorial
  • Various local env / editor config
  • Hana and I are planning to pair on tutorials or similar tasks today

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts Big Patch finally passing CI and ready for review
  • starting on small tickets tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • meeting day part 2
  • seeing what happened with the train
  • community comms
  • thinking about search filtering

Hana[edit]

  • Meeting with Eric and Mark
  • Reading more tutorials

James[edit]

  • Code review of Cormac's big patch, it sounds. :-)
  • Working with Legal on things. Oy.

PL:

   * [Cormac] remove epics from board?
   * [Cormac] question for Jamies about mobile target
   * [Cormac] couple questions about tickets
   * [Mark] How shall we use the next time block?

2019-02-06[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Can't make standup
  • Advertising CC0 designs to the stakeholders group
  • Still talking Mike Peel through his bot idea

HANA[edit]

  • using this morning to set up my machine, in the afternoon I will transition to reading onboarding guides and tutorials

Mark[edit]

  • Failed to accomplish IT work yesterday, that may become a weekend project
  • Meeting day, hooray
  • Some onboarding check-ups scheduled tomorrow, we're making good progress

Eric[edit]

  • Fixed bug T77320, patch merged (thanks Mark & James)
    • woot woot! first code change!
    • Wow! That was quick!
  • Happy to try to find another ticket from yesterday's story mtg
  • May work through the OOUI tutorial
  • Various remaining onboarding tasks

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts on filepage - adding a "read" state (after submitting) <- did you add a ticket for this?

Pam[edit]

  • The usual meeting Wednesday
  • In between meetings, keeping an eye on CC0 design feedback
  • Gathering search design ideas for the ideal search experience
  • Knocking off other assorted to-dos on my list (small phab tickets, etc.)
  • Morning appt

Ramsey[edit]

  • many meetings [to cross, but I can't seem to find my way over] (one already finished)
  • going through the SDC Engineering Sign-off column and resolving/confirming things that are fixed in production
  • sending out the Stakeholder Check-in deck in prep for tomorrow's meeting (get your input in!)
  • trying to figure out who is going to fix the API and Special Pages problem because WMDE Adam is not down with that

Cormac[edit]

  • trying to get Big Patch ready for merge - think I'm pretty much there with the latest commit

James[edit]

  • Train finally got deployed to group0 last night; didnt have time to check on TestCommons, so I'll look at that.
  • Looks like fullscreen mode on MediaViewer stopped working years ago when jQuery supports went away, oops.
    • James, do you want me to look at this since I'm already looking around in MMV?
      • Sure! I'll file a task.

PL[edit]

  • Formal (brief) introduction to standup process?


2019-02-05[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Stuck in tech support hell with myself, and have only myself to blame
    • This is syntatically ambiguous...
    • If I find time this week, I'll probably have to clone my encrypted hard drive to a backup image somehow then install a new system on my work laptop
  • Onboarding sprint with Hana and maybe finishing up some stuff for Eric
  • Story meeting should prove interesting - probably will have some stuff to do after that as well

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts on filepage - adding a "read" state (after submitting)

Eric[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • continuing with the stakeholder update deck (to be discussed with Amanda later)
  • answering questions with internal folks about stuff
  • have assembled a list of tasks that Hana and Eric might want to noodle on for a bit.

Pam[edit]

  • Sent out some emails
  • Uploaded CC0 designs to Commons for Keegan: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T214482
  • Have to write some phab tickets
  • Looking forward to chatting with Ramsey
  • Later this week: dental appt :P

James[edit]

Amanda[edit]

  • Filling out AP mid-year report
  • Contracting logistics
  • Catching up on wiki conversations

HANA[edit]

  • Figuring out everything.

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts on File page ... (wasn't working in the morning)
  • merged the widgets patch

PL:

  • Has anyone told Max about all our lovely decisions at the offsite?


2019-02-04[edit]

  • Mark, Hana, Eric, Amanda, Matthias out.

James[edit]

  • Catch-up on all the fun tasks that got filed whilst we were AllHands-ing
  • Priority is supporting Cormac and Matthias's code review and Eric and Hana's on-boarding?

Keegan[edit]

  • Catching up with all the things

Cormac[edit]

  • took most of today off, just showed up for this meeting

Ramsey[edit]

  • still working!
  • covering/discovering tickets
  • filling in things that were learned during all hands
  • starting work on the deck for Stakeholder Check-in on Thursday