Multimedia/Standup notes/2019/April

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

2019-04-30[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Deployed one of the CORS fixes; I believe other (in Wikidata) is going out by train today (test-commons) & tomorrow (commons) - will follow up
  • Working on some UploadWizard things
    • What are the remaining issues? (I only saw the ticket about the thumbnail's shadow) [Pam should be making a ticket about helpful text on the Add Data step today, we also need to remove the file nav in the left column if it's only 1 file]

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (clash with Pipeline weekly)
  • Holding on the UW enablement per Ramsey.

HANA[edit]

- Outcome from global testing meeting- this is what developers want to focus on Answer the ”selenium question”: Rule out or rule in selenium as feasible for end to end testing ^baum baum baum Focus on adding JS unit tests and refactoring Refactor JS towards making as independent of DOM as possible Rotate who works on tests on a weekly basis - Today I start some offboarding meetings :( - Writing performance reviews and still working on JS unit tests

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Testing never happened...again. I think I'm going to declare bankruptcy on the current test sheet and start a new one since we have UW on test commons.

Eric[edit]

  • Finishing up tickets and other tasks before I take off

Pam[edit]

  • been doing annual review stuff all morning, hoping to wrap that up soon
  • goal is to finish/post designs for Depicts on UW by end of day (2 tickets)

Cormac[edit]

  • integration tests (phpunit)
  • talking to Zeljko about selenium

Edward[edit]

  • QA Checklist testing (after I touch base with Mark)

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • lots of emails to address
  • stil conceptualizing a search pitch for Sloan
  • updates to the QA checklist as I get time


2019-04-29[edit]

James[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Never did get around to testing, but apparently nobody else did either and everything still seems to be working. I guess I could start in on it today though, I have some free time
  • Turning on UW integration tomorrow (on test)? Should we schedule a SWAT and start a patch? Or should we do it today?
  • I feel older
    • ^Hopefully because you had a birthday, not because the last release sucked life out of you?
      • Porque no los dos?

Keegan[edit]

  • Community! See what's happened over the weekend
  • Largely distracted this week from non-SDC stuff

Pam[edit]

  • assorted tickets
  • review prep
  • looking forward to chatting with ramsey
  • will be working offline for about an hour (car estimate repair)

HANA[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Assorted tickets (README updates, mobile adjustments)
  • Finally making some headway in how to make very minor changes to markup in PHP, this feels like a big deal personally yaaaaaaaay
  • OOO starting Wednesday through end of next week
    • Amanda I picked up Shadow of the Wind per your recommendation!

Cormac[edit]

  • catching up after my week off, doing some integration test work

Matthias[edit]

  • Mostly annual reviews

Ramsey[edit]

  • poking with QA checklist
  • search stuff (the "future of search")
  • double checking tickets and community comments


2019-04-25[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixing submission issues on mobile

Keegan[edit]

  • Start putting feedback into the spreadsheet
  • Keep an eye on community conversations

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Testing if I have time...

Pam[edit]

  • chipping away at phab tickets in my queue
  • updated mobile UI epic with screenshots

HANA[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Hopefully writing a "New Search" deck tor pitching purposes
  • Updating master QA checklist with better images

Eric[edit]

  • Mobile UI bugs & tickets

Amanda[edit]

  • working on WMDEF stuff
  • and AP
  • ping me if you need me :)


2019-04-24[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixing bugs

Eric[edit]

  • Documenting/fixing various small issues
  • mobile design walk-thru w/Pam
  • Working on updating README
  • HR/performance review stuff

Mark[edit]

  • Didn't get to testing yesterday - today might be better
  • Meetings (but of course)

HANA[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • been spending the morning working on mobile UI tickets (had a good meeting w/ Eric yesterday)
  • continued phab tickets throughout the day, including the RTL one
  • keep peeking at village pump/SDC discussion

Amanda[edit]

  • so much distraction perusing of file pages and recent changes ^_^
  • also commenting on GLAMbase deck
  • bothering Ramsey about SDC II search stuff

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • continuing to double check VoP tickets (few left now)

Keegan[edit]

  • Processing community feedback


2019-04-23[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • performance review stuff
  • still trying to get my PR up, eric's merged this morning thanks!

Matthias[edit]

  • Last round of testing, deployment prep & deployment

Pam[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Latest unit test patch now merged, folks can continue adding similar tests to the Statements panel if so desired
  • Next tickets I tackle may depend on story meeting outcome today: potential tasks include:
  • I am OOO from May 1 to May 10, BTW

Mark[edit]

  • Test suite - will have copy of spreadsheet up soon, posted in Chat once ready

Edward[edit]

  • Finally back. Catching up.
  • Will reach out to Mark about Test craziness.

Ramsey[edit]

  • testing the now-deployed depicts statements
  • tickets!
  • communicating with stakeholders and community as necessary


2019-04-18[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Test craziness!
  • Releases!
  • Meetings!

Pam[edit]

  • Making mocks for assorted tickets + ticket writing

Eric[edit]

  • Unit tests, continued
  • HR stuff

HANA[edit]

  • looking at eric's patch, getting my own work up
  • I am on PTO tomorrow Friday 4/19 and also on Friday 5/3 (early notice).

Matthias[edit]

  • A little testing
  • Poking around statements issue on phone

Cormac[edit]

  • testing!
  • I'm off tomorrow and all next week fyi ... will be available in the morning if needs be, but would rather clean the house before I go on holidays :p

James[edit]

  • Still no-go. :-(
  • I'm off tomorrow.

2019-04-17[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Testing

HANA[edit]

  • also testing, writing tests, moving tickets

Mark[edit]

  • It's a good day for tests! Copy of checklist for focused testing coming soon. Random clicking also occurring in the background.
  • Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Keegan[edit]

  • Writing release announcement
  • Writing up a quick help page, maybe

Cormac[edit]

  • testing, ticket wrangling

Pam[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Testing, Moved some tickets into "verify on prod"
  • Gradually writing more meaningful unit tests for Statements Panel

2019-04-16[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • good conversation yesterday with Eric about progress we are each making unit testing, continuing on with that today and watching the board
  • took a look at test-commons things looked good to me

Mark[edit]

  • Testing Soon(TM)

Eric[edit]

  • Test-commons looks good to me aside from the one issue mentioned yesterday (added a ticket to board for it)
    • If we want to work on that issue, it might make sense to address at the same time we start working on "data model" stuff, something I'd be interested in participating in
  • Similarly looking into unit tests for some Filepage components

Pam[edit]

  • Finished taking screenshots for the QA checklist - have emailed to Ramsey to add to the doc, as we discussed
  • Finishing up some interim search designs for the stakeholder meeting tomorrow
  • Otherwise, a meetingful afternoon starting now

Matthias[edit]

  • Testing & fixing things (thanks Cormac & James for the many last-minute CR)
    • Decent support for other statements & unsupported datatypes ("support" in the definition of "not obviously broken, or breaking other things")
    • Making sure MediaInfo stuff doesn't show up on other wikis via InstantCommons thank you for looking into that -- i hate that experience when things are all jumbled good if we make it even a bit better

Amanda[edit]

  • Looking at Ramsey's glambase deck
  • GLAM contracts
  • Will actually do some QA business today

Ramsey[edit]

  • putting together a deck for search research recap meeting
  • emails and tickets

Cormac[edit]

  • CR and testing


2019-04-15[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Friday: code review, started work on setting up more filepage unit tests
  • Today: can continue working on latter or can pick up other tickets as needed

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (clash with RelEng weekly)
  • So, the plan is to get federation and then depicts live in production this week, yes? Do we want a group call where we make it go live again? :-) [yes. we'll do it live!]

Mark[edit]

  • It's going to be a good week!
  • Travel requests are ready to be submitted - please fill them out!
  • More wandering around for last checks before pushing things out
  • Annual review process starts today! Add peer reviewers in Namely at your leisure (after speaking with your manager)

Pam[edit]

  • Been working on Search designs
  • Need to write some tickets for UW
  • Need to update QA checkist spreadsheet with latest UI screenshots

Cormac[edit]

  • a little selenium, a lot of code review

HANA[edit]

  • working on unit tests in javascript - so far just stubbing out a ridiculous amount of config
  • if there's things more urgent to do, ready to pick them up

Keegan[edit]

  • Monday emails, prep for the week

Ramsey[edit]

  • Maybe taking a peek at the Wikibase/Wikidata doc stuff again
  • presentation/pitch deck for Sloan grant 2020
  • presentation deck for search research results and next steps
  • QA testing when I can

Matthias[edit]

  • Couple of little things
  • Work on support for non-depicts statements with unsupported datatype: new statement input field must not be present (because those are not supported...)


2019-04-11[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Look into not being able to submit captions (browser cache) & depicts error messages (patch to support HTML ready)thanks for doing this quickly
  • Looking into UploadWizard campaign options a little

Mark[edit]

  • We'll need to do QA for releases next week - probably me or Ramsey (rock, paper, scissors?) [Mark's turn!]
  • Clearing up a few things otherwise
  • Probably some wandering through tickets and CR to make sure we're looking okay

HANA[edit]

  • spending morning catching up on code review, starting JS unit tests in the afternoon
  • just calling out matthias has a fair amount of small patches needing code review

Eric[edit]

  • Started a patch to separate out Jenkins tests from those to be run against Beta Commons: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseMediaInfo/+/502904
    • This patch fails in different ways in every environment: recurring error in CI (node modules problem?), unable to properly upload a file when running locally vs. Beta
    • Attempted to reproduce the failing build in Quibble, which just caused a different (Wikidata-related) test to fail
    • May need to step away from this and work on something else for a while, not really sure how to get things working at this point

James[edit]

  • Will be back-porting Matthias's fix for the wrong JS variable in cache (whoops).

Pam[edit]

  • Been working on Search designs
  • Need to write some tickets for UW

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Keeping an eye on community things

Ramsey[edit]

  • Very busy meeting morning
  • Handling issues and tickets and catching up
  • trying to find time to do presentation stuff for multiple things

Cormac[edit]

  • testing, testing, testing ...

2019-04-10[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • James and I got the most basic version of Selenium patch merged,
 but CI would throw errors whenever we tried to add actually useful tests (like file upload)
    • Now that basic setup is merged I will try to get other (useful) tests in place as separate patches

Matthias[edit]

  • Dealing with non-depicts statements & unsupported datatypes & qualifiers (patches ready for CR, test/reproduction cases created on beta, tickets created in phab)

Keegan[edit]

At the CE department meeting

  • Getting non-SDC stuff done
  • Ready to start announcements when we are!

Pam[edit]

  • Focusing on doing a lot of little tasks today (ticket writing, email sending, etc.)
  • Usability study findings went well. Am updating some designs and will share with the rest of the team next week, I'm thinking

HANA[edit]

  • php integration tests update - passing baton to Cormac - prepping a WIP patch right now
  • he may suceed in getting things a bit farther

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings, as usual
  • Winding up testing stuff (looks good so far)

Cormac[edit]

  • got some help on core tests from James, maybe will get that sorted today
  • ongoing help from Zeljko

Edward[edit]

Focussing on Multimedia today. Meeting with Mark.

James[edit]

  • Train seems like it'll go fine (jinx)
  • How do we know we're good to re-enable federation (once the tests merge?).

Amanda[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Looks like I'm getting back into Wikidata/Wikibase stuff for a bit ("Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!")
  • Concepts/presentation stuff for possible SDC 2 projects
  • Will knock out a few QA tests that Edward passes off to me
  • Reviewing new tickets made


2019-04-09[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Hammering things out for testing
  • Meetings

Matthias[edit]

  • Dealing with non-depicts statements & unsupported datatypes & qualifiers

HANA[edit]

  • php tests a bit blocked (spoke with Cormac about this earlier). A bit confused about how to create entities (P and Q items) in the proper state for self contained integration tests
  • been looking in other extensions that use wikibase for ideas and also started playing around with the api sandbox

Eric[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Making the last revisions/updates to the usability findings deck
  • Spent some time with UW labs testing ("Add data" step)

Edward[edit]

  • Working on the Normal priority Needs QA tasks

James[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • found out why basic selenium test wasn't working, fixed it (took me all day!)

Ramsey[edit]

  • ticket fun (triaging, following up on Edward's QA stuff, cleanup, etc.)
  • doing some work on concept decks for presenting to Sloan
  • reviewing usability findings with Pam
  • the usual meetings

Amanda[edit]

  • search usability testing results!
  • still owe RMP an email


2019-04-08[edit]

James[edit]

  • Fixed T220277 over the weekend; thanks Cormac for the merge. Will deploy to production later today.
  • I am blocked on Ramsey(?) for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219181
  • Will miss standup (clash with RelEng weekly)

Mark[edit]

  • Still checking up on testing, CR, etc.
  • Looks like the team chat has some talk about delaying for test work - I'm sure we'll talk about that in the next meeting

Keegan[edit]

  • OoO after this and the next meeting

HANA[edit]

  • working on php tests more (slow but steady progress)

Pam[edit]

  • Finalizing usability findings deck today
  • Soooo many meetings (starting now through the rest of the day)
  • Random tickets

Matthias[edit]

  • Looking into dealing with non-depicts statements on file page

Edward[edit]

  • checking out the QA checklist
  • working on the high priority QA items

Eric[edit]

  • Last-minute bug from Friday seems to have been fixed (thanks, Matthias)
  • Design walk-through later today to address any potential visual regressions
  • would be great to spend time this week writing more unit/selenium tests

Amanda[edit]

  • I owe RMP (MRP, PMR?) an email about patrolling and ontology building for depicts-crawling

Cormac[edit]

  • fiddling about with selenium tests ... need some input from Zeljko, he was in meetings all day, planning to talk to him tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings from 9 to 2 basically. I'm gonna be fairly useless as far as productivity.


2019-04-04[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Synthesizing usability test results
  • Making a presentation deck for findings/recommendations

Ramsey[edit]

  • Slaying the QA checklist dragon (or at least mortally wounding it)

HANA[edit]

  • php integration tests https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220113
  • I am sick, possibly getting sicker by the hour so please stand by. won't be putting my video on, sitting here with pile of tissue and tea - hope you're able to rest soon!

Eric[edit]

  • Selenium tests: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219815
    • Some discussion w/Cormac about whether some of these belong in Core rather than Mediainfo
      • Would be good to have a team dev chat re: testing strategy next week maybe?

Chris K[edit]

  • I don't come to these meetings anymore, but I wanted to let you all know you're good people and your work is appreciated.

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard fixes (captions submission & edit conflict done, thumbs todo)

Keegan[edit]

Attending the COO thing

  • Keep up the community stuff

Edward[edit]

  • Testing the following in order of priority:

T218922: SDC: The tabs end up in the wrong place in "view" non-view pages like diffs T215304: "Depicts walking": Add/edit depicts statements in UploadWizard T218614: [Alpha/Labs] OOUI element/font size is too large T218620: [Alpha/Labs] Search bar: Adding a depicts tag changes the size and position of the input field

Mark[edit]

  • Not too many meetings
  • Wrangling more testing stuff
  • Checking up on CR status as well

Cormac[edit]

  • lots of messing about with selenium/talking to Zeljko

James[edit]


2019-04-03[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard/Depicts tickets done

HANA[edit]

Eric[edit]

  • Spent yesterday trying to figure out node/selenium test setup, I see that Cormac and Zeljko got a patch up for that today
    • I can either build on that patch and start adding tests, or I can leave it to you two, let me know...
  • Some CSS tickets to tackle after the refactor

Keegan[edit]

  • Prep depicts launch announcement
  • Post about IP login notice if it's ready
  • Watch the testing space

Pam[edit]

  • Teamed up with Ramsey on IP login notice wording/links
  • Updated the padding/spacing ticket: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216773
  • Finishing watching the last of the usertesting videos
  • Will be spending the rest of the day synthesizing results

Cormac[edit]

  • did some pairing with Zeljko on selenium, seeing as the integration tests are a blocker for release ... can fill you in after this Eric in case you want to pick up the baton now
    • Yes, this is great – I was slowly putting together what you all did this AM, but now I can just write tests

Mark[edit]

  • Wrangling different QA/testing things to unblock release
  • Only a few meetings which is nice
  • Will probably disappear for a bit in the afternoon for an epic shopping run (I have no food)

James[edit]

  • Federation fix is insufficient (direct edits work but API ones don't, e.g. VisualEditor, mobile editor, and probably e.g. the Commons community's mass edit tools). Working on fixing.

Edward[edit]

  • Working on Tickets in order of Priority

Ramsey[edit]

  • Working on new language for the IP logging warning (to review with Keegan and SLaPorte)
  • Meetings
  • Got up to speed on the WMDE-WMF collab results from Berlin (so much more work to be done)
  • wrangling tickets
  • making progress on QA checklist


2019-04-02[edit]

Matthias[edit]

(might not get much done tomorrow - have to look after baby)

  • Fixing little things here & there, CR, moving tickets around phab, random things

James[edit]

  • All looks quiet? Will do some quick testing with the train today.
  • https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase/+/499812 landed so theoretically T219450 will be fixed with the train and we can re-enable federation on Commons later this week.
  • Moving more over to Continuous Deployment work from now on, but for now I will keep coming to these when I can [not this time].

Pam[edit]

  • Wrote a spike ticket for Advanced Search extension (in relation to Commons): https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219878
  • Have 25 responses to the basic search usability test (20 WMF folks, 5 usertesting folks), am grouping responses by theme today, but still have some recorded videos to finish watching from usertesting.com

HANA[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Offsite brainstorming spreadsheet, add your ideas/thoughts/approval !votes

Eric[edit]

  • CSS patch about ready to merge yay
  • Next up: integration and maybe unit testing tickets

Cormac[edit]

  • bugfixing, code reviewing

Amanda[edit]

  • On my way to training in Petaluma, will be out today through Thursday

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings!
  • tickets!
  • giving feedback/notes on docs from Sandra (UploadWizard campaign stuff for SDC) and Charlotte (captions/translations from the Android app)
  • as always, trying to find time to wrestle with my nemesis, the QA checklist


2019-04-01[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Adam suggested some safeguards following the NS0 business last week. Some of the following are already in progress, some need attention from the team for automated testing (i.e. Selenium). Should probably discuss what makes sense, but these seem at least facially sensible to me.
    • An integration test for regular editing.
      • ^ what does this mean? A test that fails when ?? and passes when??
        • Probably a few minimal tests - logged-out user attempts to edit a page in NS0, then maybe NS6 (File), then logged-in does the same. Could be run on beta and/or test.
    • Integration tests to upload with the tools users use.
    • A manual testing step for NS0 on Beta Commons and testcommonswiki.
      • When would we do this on every release? Or only releases that involve changes to our integration wikibase federation
        • Probably when we release a feature or config change.
    • If technically possible, an integration testing step for NS0 on Beta Commons and testcommonswiki.
    • Chat channel notification + email notification to the Multimedia team for UBNs for Multimedia extensions. yes!
      • Email notification to multimedia-team is set up. Thanks Max, Greg, and Andre.
      • I requested a wikibugs notification in -multimedia but the functionality doesn't exist yet. Ongoing.
    • A protocol to follow for system verification following train deployment stages. You'll need to take into consideration Europe and US trains.
  • More offsite planning coming today.

HANA[edit]

--- random note: it appears we don't consistently use 'makeReadOnly' state in DepictsPanel, this solution uses that after publishing instead of manually disabling everything, hopefully that is *ok* will need some eyes

Keegan[edit]

  • Check up on community testing and feedback

Eric[edit]

  • Once CSS refactor patch gets merged, I can work on any other outstanding visual/design tickets (starting with https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218951 maybe)
  • would be good to start adding unit tests to any of the filepage-related tickets that can support them

Pam[edit]

  • Housekeeping
  • Collating/updating design files still
    • Is there a good link/set of links to use for current state of everything? A standard reference would be very useful (i'm still putting the "current state of everything" together. there have been so many changes over the past two months all my links are outdated. will share out asap once i've updated it all)
  • Summarizing search discussion from Friday

Matthias[edit]

  • Code review thanks! I will respond to things that I know were changed but I think you have caught a few important things that should not have changed
  • Is wearing a fashion sweater!

Cormac[edit]

  • bug fixing, logging new bugs

Edward[edit]

  • Testing stuff as best as I can

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Wrangling tickets
  • Community feedback review and response if necessary

PL: the flexbox patch