Multimedia/Standup notes/2018/October

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

2018-10-31[edit]

Happy Halloween!

Mark[edit]

  • Won't make it to standup, attending the QCI
  • Still trying to sort out hiring stuff, hopefully will make progress

Keegan[edit]

  • Licensing v2 is the name of the day
  • IRC office hours reminder posting

James[edit]

  • his computer has crashed! (so I'll write his notes)
  • doing config/testing in beta cluster - has to work out why we're getting the wrong error msgs from wikibase

Cormac[edit]

  • trying to document/draw a line under what I've done on virtual statements so far so I can move on to ...
    • upload wizard metrics
    • and then depicts via UW

Amanda[edit]

  • trapped on the bart
  • last grant doc tweaks
  • Reading ramsey's ontological purity deck

Ramsey[edit]

  • helping Pam and Keegan with the licensing stuff
  • following discussions

Pam[edit]

  • not here, at QCI still
  • been chugging away at the UI copy audit
  • have been talking with Ramsey about licenses and linking qualifier values
  • sooo many meetings today, but all productive :)

2018-10-30[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Continuing to work through resumés, slowly
  • My afternoon is pretty well shot but hopefully have some time to get through some of the needful this morning

Pam[edit]

  • Still working on that UI copy audit
  • Also rolling up feedback on the search prototype (which phab ticket to put feedback on?)
  • Might miss tomorrow's standup because I'll be attending the QCI meeting

Cormac[edit]

  • virtual statements prototype ... the end is in sight (I think)

James[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Last night, thought about how to do some things for referring to rationale for public domain in structured licenses
  • today, finishing writing all that out and passing on to Pam
    • W00t -pam

2018-10-29[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Launched the caption study friday - ran into system errors (unable to save captions), so cannot fully launch :(
  • Finishing up an email with feedback/suggestions from the one usability test
  • Continuing to work on the UI copy audit
  • Meeting with Ramsey later to catch up on what to prioritize this week

Mark[edit]

  • Going to try to bomb through all of the resumés today, wish me luck.
  • Still a little behind on e-mail, that's probably a fair bit of tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • catch-up and leftover emails from post-TechConf
  • going to tryyyy to see if we can get things on beta...finally

James[edit]

  • More deployment fun. Beta Cluster ahoy.


Keegan[edit]

  • Working on comms stuff; need to write out a blog post from notes
  • Bunch of meetings, e-mails etc. to do today


2018-10-25[edit]

James[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Keegan[edit]

  • Much the same as yesterday, quietly working on wiki stuff
  • Re-doing WikiconNA expense report because there is yet another new expense report template out

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings light this week, so spending lots of time on resumés and stuff
  • Continuing to recover from backlogs also

Pam[edit]

  • Working on the UI Copy audit
  • Launching usability study soon (need to touch base with Daisy beforehand)
  • Forgot: also have to finish giving feedback to the grant report draft

Amanda[edit]

  • Assigned some grant report stuff to Sandra and Ramsey
  • Deadline tonight, should be back to SDC stuff tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • TechConf!
  • Interviewing Eric today
  • More talking about ontology and data stuff

Cormac[edit]

  • dervied statements prototype


2018-10-24[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • My meeting day dissolved. We should have TechConf more often!
  • So, back to backlogs. Probably reading a lot of resumés today.
  • Will have more on hiring stuff tomorrow.

Cormac[edit]

  • trying out a quick(ish) test implementation of virtual statements

Keegan[edit]

  • Captions communications and blog planning

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

James[edit]

  • Deployment progress derailed (see what I did there?) by the MW train taking 6 hours yesterday.
  • Working on this with Addshore.

Amanda[edit]

  • Reviewing grant financial report
  • Landed myself a mountain of work on another project, so a bit overwhelmed. Ping me if you need me!

Pam[edit]

  • Meeting day
  • Coworking with Alex Hollender!
  • Still working on launching the usability study
  • Still need to read through the grant report


2018-10-23[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

James[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Scrambling a bit on some hiring details
  • Continuing to catch up from a week away - pretty close actually

Pam[edit]

  • Got caught up on emails and slide decks
  • Setting up user testing today
  • Reading over the grant report draft & making edits

Cormac[edit]

  • crap! forgot all about standup!
  • trying to figure out how feasible it is to implement virtual statements


2018-10-22[edit]

Cormac[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW
    • Amanda's email discussion has implications for this I think
      • Good to know, will check

Note: plan to be gone October 31 & after

Mark[edit]

  • Coming back in, catching up on backlogs
  • (brief) hiring update!

James[edit]

  • Getting back in the saddle
  • Plan to encourage WMDE to help get Beta Cluster Wikidata setup deployed

Ramsey[edit]

  • at TechConf so mostly lurking


2018-10-18[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Will miss standup & design:devs chat (in hospital - checkup)

  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Have uploaded individual files on Labs for the File Caption usability test
  • Still need to create and paste in the individual test scripts for ten participants (because i'm using individual file urls to test the captions)
  • Had a good meeting with WMDE folks today about more design collaboration (overall, not just limited to SCD)
  • Off Fri/Mon, back Tuesday bright and early

Ramsey[edit]

  • meeting #3 today already :)
  • continuing to work on "explainer" deck for depicts/ontology woes
  • will perhaps get a chance to update the machine aided depicts deck

Cormac[edit]

  • trying to figure out how I might implement virtual statements

Amanda[edit]

  • grant repoooooooort


2018-10-17[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Pam[edit]

  • Met with Daisy yesterday re: MLC usability study
  • Need to set study up on Usertesting.com
  • Prep for design:dev meeting tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • 3-5 year planning/tech conf stuff continues
  • will try to knock out most of that Ontology slide deck so we can move the email thread over there and (hopefully) get some clarity/conclusions
  • also may not make it through the entire day depending on how the teeth holes feel

Cormac[edit]


2018-10-16[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • have a working patch for is empty https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T207016 ... have had one review from David, waiting for another
  • still thinking about searching and data modelling etc - trying to see if I can display search data on File page
  • question from David about licensing

Pam[edit]

  • Finishing up the MLC usabillity study prototcol
  • Meet with Daisy to set up study
  • Meeting with Max
  • Meetings, meetings

Ramsey[edit]

  • attempting, as always, to reconcile differences of opinion about data model/architecture
  • will be visiting the dental surgeon today to address the wisdom teeth (which may or may not come out today)
  • TechConf/3-5 year planning stuff
  • PL : ontology!

Matthias[edit]

  • Depicts in UW

Amanda[edit]

  • Moar grant report
  • Moar QCi

Both hopefully done tomorrow (especially the QCi,


2018-10-15[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Completed an engineer interview (Jenny), have to fill out scorecard now
  • Continuing work on the File Caption user study protocol (in advance of meeting Daisy tomorrow re: usertesting dot com)

Matthias[edit]

  • Tech task review
  • Depicts in UW

Ramsey[edit]

  • a morning filled with meetings (including a Jenny interview)
  • dentist stuff over the next couple of days (getting bones ripped out of my head)
  • planning tech conf stuff/3-5 year planning

James[edit]

  • [I'm now light blue?]
  • Talked briefly with Amir about how to configure Wikidata as a federated source (at first on Beta Cluster)
  • Will try to bully^Wencourage Wikidata friends to merge Matthias's patch making non-SDC<->SDC diffs work.
  • Production Commons is now running READ-NEW MCR data, yay. \o/
  • I'll be off in Portland for the rest of the week doing Infrastructure team things.

Cormac[edit]

  • interviewed someone (Jenny), filled out scorecard (on Fri)
  • today spent working on isEmpty ...

Amanda[edit]

  • QCi
  • Grant report draft review and deliverables

Keegan[edit]

  • Writing things
  • Good coverage post by Ramsey into a wiki page
  • Finish up a few slides for this weekend
  • Caption release communications plan


2018-10-11[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • More meetings today (but fewer)
  • I *will* get through the hiring backlog today

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Keeping an eye on the search consultation
  • Working on a couple presentations
  • Good coverage page draft

Pam[edit]

  • Finally replied to the infamous Depicts email thread
  • Pulling together some more info for the grant report
  • Going to be working on the File Caption user study protocol for the rest of the day
  • Will peek at the current consultation

Matthias[edit]

  • Started working on depicts in UW

James[edit]

  • Reviewing Cormac's security patch. If we get Brian happy enough to sign-off, I'll do the beta cluster deployment.

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • 3-5 year planning
  • TechConf session stuff
  • still exploring machine-assisted depicts stuff (when time permits)

Cormac[edit]

  • thinking about search versus modelled data, and messing about with elastic search


2018-10-10[edit]

James[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Not around for standup

  • Mostly only just fixed pre-/post MI diffs (or well, got that patch in good condition)

Mark[edit]

  • This week is pretty crazy.
  • Meeting day today!
  • Will attempt to get some hiring stuff done as well.

Pam[edit]

  • Sent Matthias some annotated statement designs for the depicts prototype
  • Have to edit the depicts flow today and send that to Matthias also (need to remove the WD client editor screens)
  • Still need to reply to Sandra/Alex re: that email thread that keeps going :)
  • Other than that meetings meetings meetings

Amanda[edit]

  • So much QCi presentation building
  • Very much grant report writing

Ramsey[edit]

  • Tech Conf! I'm leading the Data session and have some things to do
  • 3-5 year planning docs still consume [so very] much time
  • Answering questions about the search prototype

Cormac[edit]

  • spend a lot of the day panicking about stuff that was apparently broken, but it turns out it's ok (elasticsearch in vagrant was running out of memory and crashing)
  • have been doing some thinking/experimenting with retrieving data from elasticsearch for display on the frontend
  • working through the security issues


2018-10-09[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • It's merged!
    • hehe \o/
  • PL: discuss implications of breaking equivalence between search data in modelled data
  • been thinking about searching and data modelling - see

Ramsey[edit]

  • PL: discuss security review results and assign tasks
  • many meetings today
  • working on refining ML plans
  • helping people sort out data modelling (email threads are fun)
  • 3-5 year planning docs if I get a chance

James[edit]

  • Re-testing all of the MCR integration now things have landed and looking for snagging issues
  • Review of outstanding tickets esp. SR
  • [PL] Loose mocks of overall designs, e.g. reader-facing file page, would be helpful.

Mark[edit]

  • Looks like things are coming together!
  • Lots of resumés to get through today - hiring pipeline looks good - y'all should have face-to-face interviews coming soon

Pam[edit]

  • Have to reply to an email thread about depicts (will take time to write)
  • Gather timelines of designs for Jonathan Curiel
  • Documentation
  • Going to be finding time to move yesterday's missed 1:1 with Ramsey

Matthias[edit]

  • Merged Cormac's patch
  • Working on issue in wikibase when diffing pre & post mediainfo slot revisions
    • Is this the initial-MI diff? [Yes] Is there a task for it?
      • Diffing a file's first revision (no MI data) with a later (w/ MI data) revision fails - working on a patch, have not yet filed task (or is there one already?)
        • Neat. No known task to me.


2018-10-08[edit]

Cormac[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Tech task review


2018-10-04[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring stuff going well - may get a chance to breathe today
  • Today and tomorrow is the time for me to finally slay the backlog I've been complaining about

Keegan[edit]

  • IRC office hour in one hour, so that
  • Search prototype discussion posting

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixing UW caption submission

Pam[edit]

  • Added two search scenarios to Keegan's doc, as well as some other minor additions
  • Still writing out/documenting the editing issues w/ depicts/other statements on Commons vs Wikidata - will finish today
  • WIll be lurking irc during office hours
  • Nothing to share/discuss for today's design:dev chat - what can we use that time for?

Amanda[edit]

  • So excited for office hours!
  • QCi first draft

Ramsey[edit]

  • morning full of meetings/IRC office hour (which is kind of a meeting)
  • 3-5 year planning stuff, of course

Cormac[edit]

  • MCR patch ready for proper review ... Adam's patch still not merged
  • I *think* the cache purging thing might be a red herring, haven't tracked it down for sure yet (suspect it might be something up with vagrant)


2018-10-03[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Finish up the search prototype talk page post
  • Post said post.

Cormac[edit]

  • MCR stuff working, just trying to get it past CI
  • The Wikibase patch I need isn't merged yet (probably cos it's a public holiday in Germany)
  • haven't got the cache purging stuff figured out yet

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting day round 2,302
  • I need to sort out my inbox today or it will never happen

Pam[edit]

  • Added some stuff to Keegan's search prototype doc - want to add some more
  • Been writing out how best to incorporate/surface the Wikidata Editor (it's tricky) & designing a few versions.
  • Meetings throughout the day

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings!
  • emails!
  • yesterday, got to completion/near completion on the Search documentation. Waiting for Cormac for final approval
  • 3-5 year planning stuff

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixing UW caption submission


2018-10-02[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Search proto on labs in good condition to test
  • Looked at depicts work

Pam[edit]

  • Prepping stuff for Matthias for Depicts
  • Need to make changes to Wikidata Editor (modal) but that's not needed for the Depicts prototype

James[edit]

  • More review of Cormac's MCR patch with Adam S.; looking close!
  • Talked to MCR folks; cannot yet proceed with T189220 as it needs other work first.
  • [PL] Loose mocks of overall designs, e.g. reader-facing file page, would be helpful.

Mark[edit]

  • Interviews have made Tuesday meeting day
  • More resumé review later in the afternoon
  • Really ought to catch up on backlogs as well

Amanda[edit]

  • More grant report draft review
  • Catching up on where we are with designs/building things/community announcements

Ramsey[edit]

  • yesterday - lots of unexpected communications (but productive!)
  • started on updating the SDC search documentation, will finish that today
  • emails, emails, emails
  • 3-5 year planning madness continues

Cormac[edit]

  • MCR continues ... the *main* bug seems to be solved now, but I haven't quite caught up enough to be sure
  • we need some UploadWizard work after all - was gonna write up a ticket and maybe pass it to Matthias?
    • Absolutely, pass it on!


2018-10-01[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • OoO until noon PDT, errands
  • Check up on the wikis
  • Work on search prototype comms and "all files at once" comms

Amanda[edit]

  • Not really here, but how are we doing with integration bugs? Can someone send me a list of phab tickets?

Cormac[edit]

  • Still working MCR, lots of back and forth with Adam/Daniel ...

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring stuff is going to dominate the day (again, sigh) with hopefully some time to catch up on the ol' inbox later.
  • Datacenter switchover may happen a little later than planned (not the 9th, but the 11th), which may mean no deployments next week.

Pam[edit]

  • Anwered most/all of Sandra's comments on the Depicts Invision clickable prototype
  • Today working on the test protocol for the MLC user study (using User Testing dot com)

James[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Documentation day (3-5 year planning, search documentation)
  • reviewing design stuff with Pam