Multimedia/Standup notes/2018/March

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2018-03-29[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Can't make standup, conflicting meeting - will be at the retro a little late
  • Meeting to scope the "replacing file titles" discussion
  • Closing the copyright/licening discussion today

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Not enough e's in 'meetings'
  • Today: Trying to get to code, luckily meetings are less of a thing today


Pam[edit]

  • Yesterday, spent some time reviewing Matthias' Upload Wizard and left comments on the ticket. Also spent some time on the UI for multilingual captions on File Page
  • Today, continuing with UI for multilingual captions on File Page

Ramsey[edit]

  • 3 consecutive hours of meetings
  • catching up with admin stuff
  • reviewing work that's up on the Labs instance (captions and search)


Cormac[edit]

  • search patch deployed and working on labs
  • merged one of Matthias's patches, reviewing others
  • tomorrow gonna try and finish off the coursera course I've been doing in my 10%
  • not working on Monday (Easter!)


2018-03-28[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Can't make standup today, Community Engagement Department meeting
  • I have seven meetings today, so that is what I'm doing.

Matthias[edit]

  • Started looking into semantic choices (labels vs captions) again
  • Deploy 3d2png tonight

Mark[edit]

  • Rested up yesterday, feeling much better
  • Today: Meetings, then hopefully can clean up some of the MediaInfo work. Would like to get it to the wmflabs instance sometime early next week.

Amanda[edit]

  • Not attending, connection is whack
  • Still publishing SDC AP on SDC portal
  • Update email!
  • Hunt down records of Commons metrics needs
  • Review GLAM ontology building plan

Pam[edit]

  • Had a productive yesterday with JMo
  • Today is Meeting Wednesday, so planning on watching Commons curator interview recordings in between meetings
  • Hoping to squeeze in UI work on multilingual captions on File Page

Ramsey[edit]

  • Keeping an eye on GSoC (Google Summer of Code) projects that may effect us (MultimediaViewer)
  • Still working on the Linked Knowledge presentation
  • Metrics discussions (probably linked to what Amanda is doing)
  • Various administrative duties as I fill in for JK while he's away on pat leave

Cormac[edit]

  • Still haven't reviewed Matthias's patches, sorry!
  • Almost have the search patch working on labs though, I think I just need to import some templates
  • Will review that stuff on the morrow for sure
  • Can devs have a chat about hackathon?

2018-03-27[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed labs instance; submitting 2nd language caption is now also displayed
  • When submitting captions fails, the captions are now also included in the error message (for easy copy-pasting)
  • Down arrow added back to language dropdown in UW
  • Language dropdowns in UW don't repeat already picked languages

Mark[edit]

  • Won't make it to standup...feeling under the weather and going to try to get some rest before it turns into even less productivity
  • Still need to do follow-up and clean-up on the MediaInfo patches

Amanda[edit]

  • Will send Mark and Cormac email about hackathon planning
  • Coordinate Metrics presentation
  • Publish SDC AP on SDC portal
  • Blocker: Lydia out until April 2, waiting to hear about federation

Pam[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • The meetings. Filling in for JK while he's away
  • Continuing to work on the Linked Knowledge deck/proposal
  • emails - responding to requests for syncs on many things including Query Builder

Cormac[edit]

  • Trying to get cirrus search working on labs
  • haven't forgetten those code reviews ...


2018-03-26[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Long live the king
  • Demo: File page MediaInfo rendering/editing in-line (parking lot)
    • YAASSS (Amanda)
  • Today: ???, profit

Keegan[edit]

  • About the same as Mark, Re: Today -
  • Emails
  • Looking at the newsletter, which I think I'm sending out next Monday
  • Catching up on teh wikis from the weekend
  • Etc.

Amanda[edit]

  • Transcribe JMo interview
  • Hackathon planning
  • Budget review and reconcilation! SO much fun
  • Respond to Lydia and Andrew Lih

Pam[edit]

  • Catching up on email :O
  • Prep for JMo co-working meeting tomorrow (A/B testing caption instructions)
  • Getting back into UI design for adding multilingual captions
  • Helping interview a designer candidate later today

Matthias[edit]

  • Labs currently broken (updating Wikibase)
  • UW/multilingual captions:
    • 2nd language caption probably working, but not showing up because of missing Wikibase files (hence, updating Wikibase on labs)
    • Seeing if I can update language dropdowns to not show duplicate languages

Ramsey[edit]

  • A number of long meetings
  • following up on tickets
  • management of accounts for folks on labs

Cormac[edit]

  • Hail to Mark!
  • Search patch approved and merged
  • Trying to get it all running on labs, but in the process have broken labs :(


2018-03-22[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Drumming up more participation in the licensing consultation
  • Probably working a half day today, errands

Mark[edit]

  • Met with Thiemo, cleared some things up, should be clear to work on frontend code now and actually make some progress on a file page early prototype.

Cormac[edit]

  • addshore reviewing search patch as we speak
  • ... at a bit of a loose end now, have been reading through MCR code to try and get a better handle on it, but could do with some direction if there's something better I could be doing

Ramsey[edit]

  • 4 meetings after this one
  • furiously working on a Product Vision for this Linked Knowledge endeavor

Matthias[edit]

  • 3d2png deploy didn't happen; some servers got repurposed & need to get rid of those in deployment config...
  • Settings up UW/multilingual captions on labs instance
  • CR Cormac's patch


2018-03-21[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Getting UW on labs instance
  • Reviewing Cormac's patch
  • Probably deploying 3d2png changes tonight

Mark[edit]

  • Meetingsssss
  • Hoping to meet with Thiemo tomorrow to clear up some questions about Wikibase EntityView stuff - file page prototype nearly complete but still has some parser placeholders in it that should get cleared out before we push things anywhere.

Keegan[edit]

  • Keeping an eye on the wikis and consultation
  • WMF stuff to do today: travel request, expense reports, wellness form, quarterly goals, all that jazz
  • Start a google doc for the file name conversation if I can find the motivation

Ramsey[edit]

  • Will be meeting with Tilman tomorrow about logging for Multilingual file caps
  • Spending most of today with meetings and prepping presentation ideas for Linked Knowledge / Mellon grant


Cormac[edit]

  • vagrant instance was giving me headaches this morning and yesterday evening
  • fixed now, implemented addshore's comments, waiting for further feedback from him
  • still a good chance will be merged this week


2018-03-20[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • arranging meeting with data analyst peeps for guidance on measuring file captions
  • working on new GLAM version of George Oates presentation doc
  • meeting with Smithsonian about 3D
  • researching / reading various structured license discussions

Pam[edit]

  • getting feedback on A/B test protocol
  • scattered meetings today
  • off rest of week

Cormac[edit]

  • +1 from Stas on search patch
  • couple of comments from addshore, but implementing them broke the patch :( ... hopefully will get sorted today
  • Matthias reckons he should have time to review it himself tomorrow (maybe)
  • (crosses fingers)
  • partly sorted that issue with images downloading instead of displaying

Mark[edit]

  • First: SoS callouts? Status reports?
  • Yesterday/this morning: Made some progress converting my MediaInfo code to use a third, more different class, that does the same thing as the last two. Going to try and figure out how to fix the rest of it next.

2018-03-19[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Won't be around for task planning (picking up cat) Probably won't be around for tomorrow's standup (errands to run)

  • Tested & merged a bunch of 3D things
  • Won't work much tomorrow (errands to run...) but will do some more 3D work

Mark[edit]

  • MediaInfo: Will get back into Thiemo's email and make necessary changes to get things functioning (I hope)
  • PL: Frustrating weekend for other life things (Ingress-related), in case we have extra time we want to spend on that trivia

Amanda[edit]

  • Just popped in from travel to do Q4 goals with peeps (not mm, y'all are already covered)

Ramsey[edit]

  • emails
  • research
  • working on this new, somewhat urgent Linked Knowledge thing

Keegan[edit]

  • See how the licensing converstiaon is going
  • Begin poking at the Spring edition of the SDoC newsletter

Pam[edit]

  • Off Wed-Fri, so working sole on multilingual copy for UW & the A/B testing protocol


2018-03-15[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetingpalooza part 2
  • User stories when I get a chance
  • Research

Pam[edit]

  • Got good feedback on MLC (on FP) UI from design team, Mark, and Ramsey yesterday
  • Today, solely focusing on UI copy for MLC on UW (copy to A/B test)

Matthias[edit]

  • Building 3d2png Docker image

Keegan[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Fired off an email to Thiemo to get some answers about my work...response arrived early this morning
  • Today: Deciphering and attempting to integrate Thiemo's advice into my life, etc.
  • Tomorrow: Will be off, don't expect me to be responsive

Cormac[edit]

  • Working through more comments on search patch! What a surprise!
  • addshore says 'LGTM', so that's something


2018-03-14[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Made limited progress on shifting code around, but didn't really change much in the rendering.
  • Today: Continued exploration, more meetings, sigh
  • Heads up: I'll probably be out on Friday

Pam[edit]

  • Still working on the UI for adding MLC on the filepage
  • Lots of meetings today
  • Taking a few days off next week (Wed-Fri)

Keegan[edit]

  • Lauching the licensing discussion as soon as I get the okay from Legal

Cormac[edit]

  • more comments on search patch, Stas says "it's pretty good" at this stage, so maybe I'll get sign off this week

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetingpalooza
  • Email festival continues
  • Will try to spend time on more user stories today

Matthias[edit]

  • UW multilingual captions pretty much done (except for UI copy & possibly error handling)
  • 3D tomorrow, for real this time


2018-03-13[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Trying to come up with decent error handling when submitting captions from UW fails
  • Next: 3D

Ramsey[edit]

  • email festival again
  • monitoring discussions between and about the MCR ParserOutput debate
  • chasing various people for follow-up info

Pam[edit]

  • UI -> adding multilingual captions on File Page still
  • Beginning to prep for WMCon

Cormac[edit]

  • suddenly remembers to do this ...
  • submitted a new patch for search, replying to comments atm
  • no doubt there'll be more tomorrow

Mark[edit]

  • Computer lag issues, sorry if my update is text-only
  • Yesterday: Interrupts prevented significant progress (sigh)
  • Today: Looks a bit better and we'll be doing some interesting things to clear the way for work


2018-03-12[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Won't make it to today's stand-up & planning (in transit/spotty wifi)
  • Yesterday (Friday)
  • Made comments to: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T188502
  • Began writing a reserach protocol for testing UI copy on Upload Wizard (to test Caption), will pick this up again on Tuesday
  • Today (Monday, or what will be Monday)
  • Working on redoing UI of adding multilingual captions on file page

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard captions working, except for 3 questions that Ramsey already answered
  • Will work on 3D tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • emails, emails, emails
  • meetings
  • jumping back into Community discussions to see how we should proceed

Cormac[edit]

  • Holy crap! A shitload more comments on my patch. Work continues ...

Mark[edit]

  • Progress on MediaInfo: Still a bit slow.
  • A few meetings today but nothing too impactful

Keegan[edit]

  • Launching the licensing discussion?
  • Delayed from the end of last week due to some community stuff


2018-03-08[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Won't make today's meetings (friend gave birth yesterday, we'll go visit)

  • Submitting UW captions to Wikibase - chaining a bunch of promises - functional! but need to clean up some code

Keegan[edit]

Can't make standup

  • Licensing discussion draft going up soon

Cormac[edit]

  • Search patch
  • implemented Adam S's suggestions
  • now working on some comments from Thiemo
  • DCausse has commented now too, so his ones are next

Pam[edit]

  • Yesterday: lost some time due to doctor visit, but managed to make progress on FPFC. Also shared a doc for UI Copy (on Upload Wizard's Describe step)
  • Today: will be working on FPFC mostly

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Got to the point where I'm actually working on frontend code again. I can do this.
  • Today: Doing this
  • Tomorrow: ???, profit, 10% time

Ramsey[edit]

  • emails, emails, emails
  • Opened up the Future of Commons discussion to the whole Product team. Waiting for feedback
  • Working on Quarterly goals for next quarter before Amanda goes on vacation
  • There will probably be at least one surprise meeting

2018-03-07[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Yesterday: worked on File Page File Captions
  • Today: morning meetings, then File Page File Captions

Ramsey[edit]

  • Emails. So many emails.
  • Meetings. So many meetings.
  • Further work on the new, focused doc for the work we want to do with George Oates.

Keegan[edit]

  • Couple meetings
  • Wrote a brief convo for Commons about licensing, needs review from Ramsey, Amanda, Stephen. It's short, the long version got canned.
  • Address a pile of Gdoc notes from various gdocs

Amanda[edit]

  • Respond to Miriam
  • Submit WMCon session
  • All the meetings

Matthias[edit]

  • Hacking around 3D STL loader - nothing useful so far...
  • Working on submitting caption to Wikibase

Cormac[edit]

  • working on more search stuff with help from Adam S ...
  • tomorrow - more of the same, I suppose

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Some progress on edit interface! I now get error messages that actually make sense to me.
  • Today: In between meetings, fixing what I did yesterday
  • Last call for SoS needs


2018-03-06[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Messing around with 3D STL loader, hacking around inefficiencies in our existing one to see how much there is to gain

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Interrupts were as expected, not much progress
  • Today: Continuing work on file page inclusion of WB editing interface
  • Also: Generally continuing some threads on MGMT education

Pam[edit]

  • Yesterday: wrapping up research on Boolean logic, have more clarity on Search, also rabbit-holed in Wikidata
  • Today: scattered meetings throughout the day. Returning to File Page File Captions to begin revisions.

Ramsey[edit]

  • more emails
  • updating roadmap with metrics tasks
  • working on an updated doc for the George Oates project

Cormac[edit]

  • more feedback on search patch from search team, implemented some suggestions
  • prodded WMDE for clarification on something from Daniel
  • researching MCR


2018-03-05[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • 3D
    • Looking into thumb failure for huge files - need to investigate if we can write an improved STL loader
    • Looking into thumb quality: unfortunately, no antialiasing available - need to test if Thumbor downscaling can help
  • UploadWizard
    • SDoC: caption interface mostly complete. Next: actually submit the caption to Wikibase
    • Apparently, there's been a recent change in jQueryMsg parser, causing regressions in UW; investigating... (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T188818)

Cormac[edit]

  • Implemented Daniel's suggestions for multi-lingual captions search patch, waiting for feedback from Adam
  • Continue investigating MCR

Pam[edit]

  • Continue working on Search (Autosuggest)
  • Answer InVIsion feedback for Captions on Filepage

Mark[edit]

  • File page inclusion of Wikibase editing interface: No progress since last update, hopefully I can untangle some stuff today
  • Couple of meetings, couple of errands to run today, potentially impacting throughput
    • More potentially impactful: Poor sleep
    • Also: It's snowing again

Amanda[edit]

  • WMCon session description
  • New readers inspire grant proposal eval
  • Review Community communication strategy
  • Update email

Ramsey[edit]

  • Emails, emails, emails (responses, questions, and general administrative stuff)
  • If time permits, back into the User Stories doc

Keegan[edit]

  • Investigating and writing draft for "high-level" structured licensing placeholder conversation
  • Mondays.

2018-03-01[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings this morning
  • Can't make standup, meeting overlap. Wil be at retro.
  • Sorted out the Order Of Doing Things for March with Amanda
  • Ontology closes todayish, pending review

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on UW multilingual captions

Ramsey[edit]

  • communicating with Smithsonian about 3D and Andrew Lih about a grant they're applying for to do an improved UI for depicts
  • still exploring whether we keep filenames. reached out to other PMs yesterday and got an interesting response.
  • reviewing and updating docs as I find time
  • putting together a more specific plan for the Future of Commons

Pam[edit]

  • Working on Search today (looking for example queries for the Query Builder)
  • Going through InVision comments for MLC on FP

Max[edit]

  • Starting with Data Analysts' new team today, scaling back with MM as planned
  • See you at retro after standup

Cormac[edit]

  • implementing some suggestions from Daniel K on search patch
  • spoke to Adam Shorland about MCR
  • merged some patches for Matthias and Mark
  • looked over latest wireframe from Pam and search specs from Ramsey
  • more of the same tomorrow

Amanda[edit]

  • Final budget reconciliation for AP SDC
  • Reach out to affiliates about WMCon program planning sesh
  • Formalize code reviewer group for MCR
    • Add Cormac to MCR reviewer group
  • Respond to file caption name thread (Sorry Keegan and Ramsey)
  • Community communication strategy
  • Ramsey there are a ton of people working on depicts/categories, apparently?

Mark[edit]

  • CR moving on MI patch...hopefully done with that soon (correction: Done!)
  • MI importing WB editing interface: Ugh. Complex. Will be hunting through hook documentation and WB class documents for some time.