Multimedia/Standup notes/2018/April

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2019-04-30[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • in the San Francisco office today. posting now in case I can't get to the office in time for standup
  • busy with meetings all day, including scoping out the design research project with George

Matthias[edit]

Not around - holiday today & tomorrow (- a bit of work on UW EventLogging)

Cormac[edit]

  • still nothing from addshore on the search patch, pinged him again
  • figured out (with David's help) search scoring, and how to tune it for commons when we deploy
  • mailed bawolff about that volunteer patch that I reviewed (it looks ok, except for one odd little thing I want to check with Brian)
  • starting work on writing qualifiers to the search index https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193407

Keegan[edit]

  • About half of the feedback in on captions from the signup, so I'm chasing down the missing feedback

Mark[edit]

  • Hell of a weekend
  • Continuing Wikibase frontend investigations...

Pam[edit]

  • Working on design consultation (MLC on FP)
  • Working meeting with George et al the latter half of today

2018-04-26[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • depicts search path has +1 from Stas, waiting for input from addshore
  • looking at how search results are scored https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192535
  • code review
  • tomorrow: continue to investigate scoring, also 10% time

Matthias[edit]

  • Changing label to caption on File page only

Ramsey[edit]

  • will be giving a brief presentation for Bring Your Family to Work day
  • working out hopefully final final arrangements for George Oates meeting Monday
  • back to depicts

Mark[edit]

  • Started investigating the Wikibase code...nasty bit of work but it'll have to get fixed
  • Continuing today, some meetings, hopefully minimal distractions otherwise

Pam[edit]

  • Finalizing MLC on FP
  • Tomorrow attending a pro-dev workshop


2018-04-25[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Working from the coffee shop today because my landlord notified me this morning of the loud workmen who will be around all day (and that they were shutting off water/sewer)
  • Getting to inbox zero: Priceless
  • Starting in on interface changes, not sure how that will go, seems like the frontend code for Wikibase is about as complicated as the backend.

Keegan[edit]

  • Soliciting signups for caption prototype review, managing that process
  • The Wikidata thing: Léa asked property creators about stuff for Lexemes, they responded kind of how I thought. Gotta translate that into our work and organize around it.

Pam[edit]

  • Revising MLC on FP for design consultation
  • MLC A/B Survey was deployed yesterday

Cormac[edit]

  • making more changes to search patch based on Stas's input ... think I'm nearly there
  • talked to the search team about how to handle qualifiers, have an idea that will work for a first stab at least (and have their agreement)

Matthias[edit]

  • Label -> captions working, but...

Amanda[edit]

  • Did the things yesterday, except bother Keegan
  • First draft of the quarterly check in deck
  • Review Depicts specs
  • Update email

Ramsey[edit]

  • Yesterday: furiously worked to get contract stuff in for George Oates. Seems to be working.
  • Will need to arrange logistics for the actually meeting with George on Monday.
  • Shared the depicts v1 spec with the team, will continue to work on that


2018-04-24[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Patches merged, fixed up, etc. - good momentum
  • Working on some UI stuff hopefully between meetings and interrupts

Amanda[edit]

  • MCR...dealt with!?! fake news news from a certain point of view
  • Support Carolyn with Hackathon design
  • Review GLAM ontology kickstarting proposal
  • Katie needs a wmflab project
  • Haz passport, need Hackathon tickets

Ramsey[edit]

  • trying to get George Oates locked in on a contract
  • continuing the depicts spec (almost done!)

Pam[edit]

  • Working w/ the WMDE designers was fun/useful, and WMCON was great
  • ALL THE EMAILS
  • Wrap up tasks from WMCON
  • Coworking with JMo today to get the survey out the door
  • Have to sort through MLC on FP feedback from Alex and Sandra

Matthias[edit]

  • Labels to captions

Cormac[edit]

  • spent most of the day trying to understand a comment Stas had made on one of my search patches :/
  • started reviewing that volunteer patch
  • next - talk to search team about qualifiers


2018-04-23[edit]

=== Keegan ====
* Feeling a little less blah, catching up on stuff

Ramsey[edit]

  • lot of weekend emails to catch up on
  • hopefully moving forward with finalizing George Oates stuff
  • made a lot of progress with Depicts Friday, hoping to have a doc to share tomorrow
  • decent number of meetings

Amanda[edit]

  • MCR breeds more MCR...
    • Have y'all talked to the MCR engineers about what you need when? -> Nupe, probably need to set up a meeting, can talk about it in backlog grooming
  • getting Hackathon tickets

Mark[edit]

  • Checked on patches - fixed something for Matthias, I think - will dig deeper in a minute
  • Stepping into the new work on changing interfaces
  • Cleared out extracurricular #1 yesterday, #s 2 and 3 are close, should be much more focused by the hackathon

Matthias[edit]

  • Renaming labels -> captions

Cormac[edit]

  • Submitted a few more updates to the latest search patch, had feedback from Stas and David
  • Gotta chase up WMDE for their 2c too
  • oh ... and could do with CR for this one https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/426944/


2018-04-19[edit]

Matthias[edit]

I'll probably miss today's meetings (girlfriend going to hospital (it's probably nothing) and I'll join her)

  • Working on MediaInfo page; renaming label->caption

Pam[edit]

  • Successful design sprint with WMDE design team today
  • Going to be giving more full update of designs/survey at desinh:dev chat
  • Conference begins tomorrow

Keegan[edit]

  • Very unmotivated yesterday and today
  • So pretty much the same stuff

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting day was not great for Getting Shit Done
  • Today looks better - need to take another pass through patches then start making bold choices about what to do with new design stuff

Ramsey[edit]

  • hopefully closing out the prep phase of the George Oates thing today
  • still trying to find time to dig more into depicts

Amanda[edit]

  • MCR resolved today!
  • chat with mobile devs re hackathon
  • case doc for federation

Cormac[edit]

  • moved one of yesterday's patches to a different repo based on Stas's advice
  • got feedback on the moved patch from David Causse, tomorrow will be working on that (and 10% time)


2018-04-18[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • First minor progress on renaming label->caption

Ramsey[edit]

  • Only six meetings today :P
  • Attempting to close out this George Oates thing so we can get started with her
  • Discussing MCR issues with Amanda et al.

Mark[edit]

  • It never occurred to me to count the meetings but I'm tied with Ramsey today
  • Two prongs of my work for the foreseeable future
    • Shepherding stuff through CR (quickly) and deploying on labs
    • Meanwhile, investigating changes to Wikibase core for editing/viewing tools
  • Predicted interrupts: Trying to herd cats during breaks (sigh, organizing) and possibly cutting off many hairs

Pam[edit]

  • Today:
   * Visited WMDE office, had a tour
   * MLC UI copy: Updating some links on the survey 
  • Tomorrow:
   * Design Sprint with WMDE design team on a to-do list builder
   * Hope to grab time with folks re: Advanced Search
   * MLC on FP: Gathering internal feedback on V2. Would appreciate feedback when the team gets a chance in advance of our design:dev meeting: https://wikimedia.invisionapp.com/share/VZGT8KX93DG

Keegan[edit]

  • I have some logins to test the caption prototype, so I need to figure out how to distribute them and then collect feedback
  • Check up on Wikidata and property creators

Cormac[edit]

  • two patches submitted for searching on statements - one for writing the data, one for finding based on the data
  • probably working on feedback from those tomorrow


2018-04-17[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Spinning back up after surprise holiday
  • Should we reschedule our planning meeting (missed yesterday) for today or tomorrow?

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetingpalooza (seriously, 9 meetings today)

Pam[edit]

  • Yesterday, prepped for WMCon (GLAM research)
  • Leaving for airport later this morning (arriving in Berlin @ 8:30)
  • Will be prepping for a design sprint with the WMDE designers (on a "to-do" list builder... should be interesting)

Amanda[edit]

  • MCR again
  • Work on the federation case doc

Cormac[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Set up EventLogging locally
  • Back to MediaInfo page


2018-04-12[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Conflicting meeting w/Lea and Sandra during the retro, so will miss most of the retro
  • Some meetings around Wikidata
  • Half day, vet trip later for a kitty

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop pretty much solid at the moment, we'll see if I missed anything
  • CR from Cormac - thanks - will look into some things and reapply for attention
  • Interrupt later this afternoon for an appointment

Pam[edit]

  • Finally shared out MLC on FP designs. Feedback here: https://wikimedia.invisionapp.com/share/VZGT8KX93DG
    • Woohoo!!
  • Focusing on survey design today (coworking with JMo)
  • Also doing workshop prep for WMCON *and* design sprint with WMDE designers (today/tomorrow)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Creating a new presentation for the George Oates stuff
  • Reviewing Pam's new MLC on FP designs
  • Meetings
  • Research

Matthias[edit]

  • No updates

Amanda[edit]

  • MCR again
    • Gantt chart again
    • Will bother you Mark, Ramsey

Cormac[edit]

  • mostly code reviews today
  • some useful stuff for depicts already seems to exist, digging on that
  • will be afk for a little while tomorrow cos I've a doc's appointment


2018-04-11[edit]

Mark[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Meeting day as well
  • Figuring out where to begin with social issues between wikis that have a commom purpose, aspiration, and philosophy

Amanda[edit]

  • Every day is a meeting day
  • Still working on MCR :( Will bother Mark (& Ramsey?)

Pam[edit]

  • Tons of meetings today, but sharing out Multilingual Captions on File Page for feedback
  • A/B survey design

Matthias[edit]

  • UW is not really logging anything useful right now
  • But is set up quite well - adding new things should be pretty painless
  • Just need to know what kind of things we want to log/questions we want it to answer
  • Looks like I'm not going to Barcelona after all - I misread Adam's earlier email, which was about next year's hackathon :)

Ramsey[edit]

  • MEETING DAY
  • email catchup for various things
  • research when I have the time

Cormac[edit]

  • fixed the stuff on labs
  • still digging on depicts
  • I guess I oughta do some code reviewing on Matthias's UploadWizard patches tomorrow


2018-04-10[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop setup continues slowly
  • Patches for file page stuff updated - could use another look
  • Will be absent some portion of today to renew my driver's license

Matthias[edit]

  • Updated prod SSH key & had to fix some SSH config after that
  • UW eventlogging
    • Can't find existing dashboards, but I seem to remember them being broken anyway...
    • Pretty much all datasets stopped gathering data
      • Need to check if script generating datasets from captured data is broken, or if we're no longer collecting data (stopped/broken) - tomorrow

Amanda[edit]

  • All MCR today :(

Pam[edit]

  • Same as yesterday, but making progress:
   * Finishing up revision of UI of multilingual captions on file page
  • Designing A/B survey in Qualtrics

Ramsey[edit]

  • Got a surprise task from Toby for tomorrow
  • Getting closer (I think) on the George Oates engagement preparations
  • Helping with discussions about Wikibase Federation
  • Will try (again) to find times for 'depicts'

Cormac[edit]

  • elastic search stopped working on vagrant and sent me down a rabbit hole for a while
  • fiddling about with federation on the labs instance, it's actually really running federated wikibase now which is wasn't before
  • also loaded in lots of the data from wikidata to make it work
  • writing search indices a little weird when federation is in flight, looking into that
  • scrum of scrums tomorrow?


2018-04-09[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • missing standup due to an appointment with the ear-doctor (loud music is bad for your ears!) ... might be back in time for planning/grooming, depends on traffic and what the doc has to say
  • Friday - talking to David a lot about seach, looking into how indices and queries are constructed
  • Monday - found a bug with the search index when a statement is added, trying to get data on the labs instance into a state where I can replicate it

Matthias[edit]

  • Labels vs captions

Mark[edit]

  • New laptop arrived, doing setup
  • Patches up for new-file editing, will make a run through them after laptop setup is done to reply to feedback (if any), please review when available

Pam[edit]

  • Revising UI of multilingual captions on file page
  • Designing A/B survey in Qualtrics
  • Have an afternoon doctor's appt, so will work later into the evening to make up for that

Ramsey[edit]

  • further discussions of the George Oates engagement
  • product meetings
  • going through Chelsy's research on renaming metrics

Keegan[edit]

  • Catching up from end of last week
  • See what's up with the file name trial balloon


2018-04-05[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Progress slow yesterday, better today until late afternoon.

Keegan =[edit]

  • Posting the trial balloon about file names to the SDC talk page
  • Out most of today and all of tomorrow for funeral stuff

Ramsey[edit]

  • I got older
    • This is a good start to every update
  • Created new ticket for Chelsy to look into data related to file renames on Commons (frequency, reasons, etc)
  • Working on moving that George Oates engagement forward somehow
  • sketching out some high level ideas for depicts

Matthias[edit]

  • Labels/captions

Cormac[edit]

  • Was it your birthday Ramsey? **today! <- happy birthday!
  • had a good chat with search team and as a result I've been ...
  • reading elastic search docs
  • Macklemore was fantastic fyi
    • +1 - seen them a few months ago

Pam[edit]

  • Catching up on work: revising UI of multilingual captions on file page
  • Will follow up with JMo on A/B test


2018-04-04[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • will miss standup today cos I gotta leave early to go to a Macklemore gig in The Big City with wife and kids \o/ (I nearly had a heart attack just now when ticketmaster sent me an email saying 'how was Macklemore last night? please review the show' but checked my tickets and it is on tonight like I thought (phew))
  • more reading docs and code about search, gonna drop into the search team's meeting at 1600UTC to ask a few questions

Keegan[edit]

  • Death in my wife's family - distractions from work, having to pick people up at the airport, etc. Keeping me up and down from the computer the next few days
  • Putting together a thing to run by Commons about filenames before we take it to the broader community
  • Newsletter went out yesterday.

Ramsey[edit]

  • Started efforts to have the Facebok/Oculus team help out with implementing the GLB 3D format
  • will chat today with Dario about a project grant review
  • will attempt to find some time to work on semi-formal depicts requirements
  • still working on finalizing approach for George Oates engagement

Mark[edit]

  • Probably not much progress today because meetings
  • Getting into the file page new-entity workflow tomorrow

Matthias[edit]

  • Making progress on labels vs captions
    • Do we care about the MediaInfo page (now that Mark's moving the interface to File page)?


2018-04-03[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Patches rebased and updated a bit to reflect reality. Wikibase patch ready to go, going through some extra work on the MediaInfo patch.
  • (PL?) Matthias, Cormac: I currently short-circuit the MediaInfo code unless there's already an entity for the file. Should we automatically create the entity? Should it be automatically populated? Can we create an entity without any data in it? Or should I redouble my efforts to find out how Wikibase does a new entity's page? (Ramsey: this would not delay launch of what I have on wmflabs, but may cause unexpected behavior on new file pages)
  • Battles with the work laptop continue

Pam[edit]

  • Making progress on MLC on FP
  • Still need to find remaining images for A/B test

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on semantic choices: label vs caption

Ramsey[edit]

  • email! fantastic times
  • picking up "Future of Commons" / George Oates discussion
  • meetings

Amanda[edit]

  • Tackling SDC phab board, intereseted in if/how y'all use it
  • Review draft session plan for WMCon
  • Update email
  • Will nudge Lydia re federation again

Cormac[edit]

  • reviewing some stuff
  • looking into Depicts searching (basing on Stas's patches for Label/Description)


2018-04-02[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings, email -- Monday stuff
  • Close out the coyright/licensing conversation
  • Working with two other CLs this week on the File name replacement draft
  • Sending out the SDC newsletter either today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow)

Pam[edit]

  • Multilingual Captions on File Page
  • Finish finding images for A/B test

Mark[edit]

  • Laptop issues this morning, will probably put in an OIT request for a replacement
  • Task planning, everyone's favorite day
  • Probably will get to the patches today and deploy sometime tomorrow (pending a second pair of eyes)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Picking up a lot of loose threads from last week
  • doing some JK cover stuff