Multimedia/Standup notes/2017/October

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2017-10-02[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Past few work days: Exploring MediaInfo. Have done some task expansion/clarification on Phabricator, and should have a path forward now.
  • Today: More of the same, plus code review rounds.

Chris[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Poking around MediaInfo
  • Looking at SDoC Gdocs documents

Ramsey[edit]

  • Talked with researcher at Duke university to move their data to Commons
  • User stories & roadmap work
  • Going through multimedia phabricator backlog
  • Communicating with Adam to manage all-hands & quarterly reports
  • MP3: help community develop a tool; reaching out to another company who may be able to help us

Cormac[edit]

  • Simple PD-Art patch coming up
  • Get acquainted with MediaInfo

Amanda[edit]

  • Budget finagling
  • Amanda to finish and Ramsey to review goals & responsibilities
  • Send out an SDC update

2017-10-03[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Got around to CR this morning - was caught up yesterday
  • Today, more MediaInfo work
  • Friday afternoon - probably useless, have a dental appointment
  • Next week - holiday floating to Tuesday

Cormac[edit]

  • Little change to pd-art patch, waiting for Ramsey
  • Got MediaInfo running
  • Will pick up something else Soon™

Ramsey[edit]

  • Will have PD-Art input today
  • Follow up with people we talked to about 3D stuff (Duke university content)
  • Arrange sessions for co-working during all-hands week
  • Triage Phabricator backlog
  • Contact partner for MP3/copyvio detection tools

Matthias[edit]

  • MediaInfo page_props

2017-10-04[edit]

Mark[edit]

Chris[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Look at & comment on Phabricator tickets
  • Attempting to find a contact for copyvio detection
  • Template research

Cormac[edit]

  • Wikibase/MediaInfo exploration/import
  • Gonna take a look at some tickets Ramsey suggested - T154781, T177161, T154132

Matthias[edit]

  • MediaInfo page_props
  • Importing wikidata entities

2017-10-05[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • MediaInfo page_props

Mark[edit]

  • Sorry about the early meeting, I wanted to be able to get to the staff community time meeting (hoping to get a glimpse into the new office)
  • Made progress on the MediaInfo API module, but still working
  • Bug about the custom license marker template seems to have been cleared up, thanks Steinsplitter

Cormac[edit]

  • MediaInfo exploration - got properties data in, poked around
  • Picking up a suggested bug (multilingual error messages)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Looking at bug about custom license template, basically already done, wish we could look at it again
  • Meeting - how do we work with the Comms team? (re: 3D release)
  • More triage in backlog!!!

Chris[edit]

  • Positive responses on the legal UI stuff for 3D
  • "Looks okay, let's get on with it." - Commons users :)
  • Message sent about read-only - good to go from communicaiton perpective
    • I'll try to be around day of to help a little, but it will be rather late in the day

2017-10-09[edit]

  • It's a "holiday", everyone is working

Mark[edit]

  • Submitted a patch for the MediaInfo API module, got smacked by three or four WMDE people, so starting fresh today...

Matthias[edit]

  • Writing tests for page_props patch

Ramsey[edit]

  • Went through Phabricator tickets
  • Scheduled meeting with 3rd party for copyvio detection
  • Working on presentation for quarterly checkin
  • Talked with comms about 3D rollout
  • Waiting for Palmyra to provide file

Cormac[edit]

  • Finished one of the tickets assigned by Ramsey

Max[edit]

  • Trying to get phlogiston reports for MM

Amanda[edit]

  • Working on deliverables for grant report
  • Working on quarterly checking slide deck

2017-10-10[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Added tests to page_props patch
  • Files at Commons enter after renaming

Ramsey[edit]

  • Sync up with Chris about license design
  • SDoC stuff
  • Looking at bugs & provide input
  • Phab backlog triage

Cormac[edit]

  • Submitted Exception patch
  • Working on issue with Chinese in SVG

Max[edit]

  • Multimedia phlogiston working
  • 14 items in flight, worth talking about

2017-10-11[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Files at Commons enter after renaming

Cormac[edit]

  • Chased some QA tickets
  • Meeting with Anthony - ask about QA procedure
  • Bug with SVG - languages w/o standard code

Mark[edit]

  • Clearly I haven't cleared out our Etherpad in a while, I'll do that first...
  • Started exploring the new approach to our MediaInfo API, it looks fairly straightforward based on what WMDE has told me, but prepared to be underwhelmed

Ramsey[edit]

  • @Mark: Lydia said she's tracking MediaInfo
  • Responding on some tickets
    • Will respond to image-resizing ticket soon
  • Meeting with WMDE people
  • Meeting to talk about SDC
  • Forwarded Pam a design task about 3D upload pipeline
  • Talked with Gilles about 3D blog post
  • etc. ad infinitum

2017-10-12[edit]

Chris[edit]

  • There is some feedback on the 3d upload language, a suggestion to perhaps be more permissive
  • https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#Input_requested_on_3D_object_file_upload_process
    • tl:dr; Commons folks think they can handle errant uploads of the patented/weapon nature. They're fine with the proposed changes. Maybe add the word "knowlingly" to the language (that's a legal question, I think)
  • [question] Should Sandra be invited to these standups? Not sure if that conversation has happened, but putting it out there as something to consider.

Mark[edit]

  • New approach to MediaInfo API changes is taking longer than expected. Will continue digging through documentation today to try and figure things out, but it's gotten much more complicated and I'm not sure I'll finish during this sprint.

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed redirects showing up in non-machine-readable-license category
  • Processing feedback on page_props patch

Max[edit]

  • Got Grace for retro in 2 weeks & moved meeting 15min earlier

Ramsey[edit]

  • Met with Dir of Eng at CC
  • QR slide deck

Cormac[edit]

  • Working on SVG/Chinese bug

2017-10-16[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • No response from WMDE, going to enter their IRC channel and bother them a bit about API stuff.
  • May not be super productive anyway, seem to be coming down with a cold or a particularly nasty bout of allergies.

Matthias[edit]

  • Follow-up to Cormac's UploadStash i18n patch - i18n'ing a few more exceptions
  • MediaViewer cogwheel issue

Pam[edit]

  • Got back from SF, got to meet people in person
  • Onboarding
  • Will get Ramsey infographic

Ramsey[edit]

  • Backlog triage
  • Chat with Amanda about milestones
  • MP3 decision
  • Watch Wikidata video

Amanda[edit]

  • Helping Sandra review portal pages
  • Working on grant report
  • Work out Berlin travel
  • Bother Ramsey about putting milestones in roadmap
  • Need help from Pam for volunteer tool builders--will ping her offline

Cormac[edit]

  • Working on SVG rendering bug
  • Code review to do

2017-10-17[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday was bad because I was sick, but will continue on today with my MediaInfo work.
  • Also: Code review

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed MediaViewer cogwheel preferences
  • Fixed incorrectly labeled audio/webm files (caused some replication lag)

Pam[edit]

  • Created infographic
  • Onboarding & administrative things
  • Look into JMo's research

Ramsey[edit]

  • Lots of meetings
  • 3D: trying to get clarity on legal issues
  • Preparing for quarterly presentation
  • Meeting with 3rd party
  • Mikhail working on metrics for MP3
  • Requested access to wmde/mediainfo labs instance

2017-10-18[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • #wikidata IRC channel is going over like a lead balloon. May start working on something else and fire off some e-mails to get thoughts on implementation for MediaInfo API changes.
    • In 20 minutes before meeting: Getting responses, just not easy to get their attention.
  • Probably: Looking into label/caption things Ramsey added to the workboard, CR, etc.

Matthias[edit]

  • Change label->caption & description->summary
  • Prototype multilingual labels on file page

Ramsey[edit]

  • Met with 3rd party
  • Got contact at other 3rd party
  • 3D: legal looking at suggested design/wording
  • Working with newpalmyra for 3D model
  • UW: suggested 3D design can be worked on
  • Working on SDoC first feature (planning, communicating, ...)
  • Conversation about wikidata semantics?

2017-10-19[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Update UploadWizard with legal language/UI for 3D files

Mark[edit]

  • Did some CR, things are looking good in general, will continue hopefully
  • Looking into MediaInfo still...not quite sure where the walls are but there may still be a few.

Ramsey[edit]

  • Focus on triaging Phabricator
  • Prepare blog post for 3D launch
  • Administrative work for quarterly checkin on Monday


2017-10-23[edit]

  • Happy Mole Day!

Cormac[edit]

  • Submitted patch for the SVG/languages thing, in discussion with Glrx about it on phabricator. Can't reproduce part of the original bug, which is frustrating, Matthias helping me out a bit with trying to checkout the current versions of MW to see if that helps with reproduction

Ramsey[edit]

  • Met with Google about MP3 stuff on Friday. Looking to see if we can get a hacky solution implemented, but it looks like they're not quite set up to handle what we need either. They've suggested reaching out to AudibleMagic. Still following up with ZEFR.
  • Prepping/planning for WikidataCon
  • Today will be communicating with Amanda about a Structured Data report document to send to the Sloan Foundation (J. Curiel is leading this effort)
  • Wrote the initial draft for the blog post announcing 3D file upload. Will polish that up today and share with team before I give Comms the go ahead

Mark[edit]

  • Once more unto the MediaInfo breach
  • Backlog meeting
  • Monthly check-in and weekly sync meetings also
  • Heads up: My vacation starts on Saturday

Matthias[edit]

  • Refactored UW deeds a bit

Amanda[edit]

  • Friday - restructured grant report
  • Moar grant report
  • Tracking presentations

Pam[edit]

  • Reading research from JMo

2017-10-24[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings yesterday sapped all of my productivity
  • Today: Back to MediaInfo, no longer certain how long it will take
  • Helping Cormac with the SVG work he's on, sort of

Pam[edit]

  • Watching Wikidata video

Ramsey[edit]

  • Preparing for WikidataCon
  • Finalize 3D upload announcement draft
  • Communicating with 3rd parties about MP3 upload
  • 3D legal stuff ongoing

Amanda[edit]

  • Still drafting grant documents, thanks for responsiveness
  • Prepating for WikidataCon

Anthony[edit]

  • 3D: 7 tickets to take a look at
  • Flesh out multimedia expectations with Ramsey


2017-10-25[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Update UploadWizard with legal language/UI for 3D files

Mark[edit]

  • MediaInfo investigations took a turn...Daniel is now on the case helping me in a more involved way, things may actually get done
  • Is there anything that absolutely needs to get sorted out in the next 3 days before I leave?

Ramsey[edit]

  • Handling some things in inbox
  • Making sure there are no fires during flight today
  • Reading on flight

Pam[edit]

  • Meetings - brownbag, etc.
  • Studying Wikidata
  • Uploading pictures to Commons


2017-10-30[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Update UploadWizard with legal language/UI for 3D files

Pam[edit]

  • Researching: learning more about Wikidata & taking look at community-developed app Monumental


2017-10-31[edit]

Matthias[edit]

stuck in traffic

  • Working on 3D/license - mostly done
  • Ramsey: left a few questions on 3D/license ticket
    • Looking at this now, will spend an hour

Pam[edit]

  • Met with X person
  • Watching videos on using Wikidata

Ramsey[edit]

  • Catching up after Berlin
  • Working on MP3s on Commons w/Kaldari
  • Talked with Daniel and Lydia on MediaInfo
    • Need to update documentation
  • Talked to Brigitte at WMDE