Multimedia/Standup notes/2017/December

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2017-12-04[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Long weekend was long. (not like, more days than usual, but tiring)
  • Goals! Goals goals goals
  • Today: Firing on all cylinders to get a prototype for our first feature
  • Also: Meetings

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed 3d2png - was broken because of STLLoader (changed how to construct)
  • Wikibase/MediaInfo exploration

Pam[edit]

  • Working on the Upload Wizard multilingual caption user flow

Ramsey[edit]

  • Backlog meeting
  • Annual planning!!1!!1one
  • DACI chart work
  • Phab ticket backlog cleanup
  • 3D work - maybe this week.......?

Amanda[edit]

  • Talked with JMo about user research status
  • Talked with GLAM team & CLs about goals
  • Going to project management salon thing

Cormac[edit]

  • Investigating broken links after image was deleted
  • Test 3D patch

2017-12-05[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Working with Amanda & Grace on DACI chart for next quarter
  • 3D finishing touches (communications, legal)
  • Looking at community issues for SDoC, MP3, and 3D

Pam[edit]

  • Working on multilingual caption for UW
  • Working on rough user flow

Cormac[edit]

  • CR & QA
  • Getting set up to run maintenance scripts on production

Mark[edit]

  • Lost track of time!
  • Started prototyping things, but stuck on some data processing crap (I swear, it's impossible even to mock something up in Wikibase)


2017-12-06[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Prototyping: Progressing. I have the information on the page, just want to play with styling a bit then see if I can't hook up editing.
  • Meetings, meetings, meetings
  • Goals!

Matthias[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • WMDE catch-up meeting
    • They're working on service improvements
    • Structuring Wiktionary, so bandwidth is reduced
    • Pushing further on work on MediaInfo (and related)
  • DACI chart complete
  • Quarterly goals! Draft due by Friday.
  • 3D - only have legal stuff in UploadWizard. Will keep an eye on other tools (Special:Upload, etc.)

Cormac[edit]

  • Submitted bug: MP3 thumbnail in UploadWizard
  • Maintenance script on prod, one file at a time - waiting for feedback
  • More bugfixing!

Pam[edit]

  • Working on multilingual caption user flows
  • Checked out 3D upload on beta

2017-12-07[edit]

Max[edit]

  • Just making sure retro is in order, otherwise just present if you need me :)

Chris[edit]

  • Not much, at Staff Community Time

Matthias[edit]

  • 3D up-to-date on beta
  • Tested 3D upload with campaigns, seems ok
  • Will talk to wikide about renaming commons labels
  • Skipping retro today

Mark[edit]

  • Guess I need to clear out the etherpad.
  • Prototyping: Slow. Not much done yesterday. Not quite sure where to move from where I am, but will look into things today.
  • Retrospective!

Pam[edit]

  • Talked with Sandra/Amanda
  • Working on UW

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meeting with Sandra, Amanda & Keegan about community things & SDoC communication
  • Waiting for legal input on patent rights for 3D objects uploaded by non-UW tools

Cormac[edit]

  • CR
  • Coursera course

2017-12-11[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Doing some small work on new legal 3D patent requests

Ramsey[edit]

  • Working on fully baking new 3D patent requirements for non-UploadWizard scenarios
  • A little annual planning stuff
  • trying to figure out schedule for MediaInfo

Mark[edit]

  • More prototype stuff...slow going as per usual

Pam[edit]

  • Wireframes coming soon - multilingual captions

Cormac[edit]

  • Bug - image links not updating locally when deleted from Commons (or vice versa?)

2017-12-12[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Add Template:3dpatent license to files uploaded with UW
  • Create Category:Files_with_no_machine-readable_patent for 3D uploads lacking said template
  • Working on adding Template:3dpatent to custom JS used for Special:Upload on commonswiki

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Swamped, not much progress on prototyping
  • Today: Hopefully not the same, fewer interruptions anyway

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings & discussions around SDoC & community stuff
  • Monitor community wishlist & tickets in SDoC board

Cormac[edit]

  • Digging into links not being repointed to deleted file

Pam[edit]

  • Research around design feedback
  • Wireframing multilingual caption - will try to get feedback tomorrow

Max[edit]

  • No updates

2017-12-13[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on adding Template:3dpatent to custom JS used for Special:Upload on commonswiki

Chris[edit]

  • Can't make this meeting due to confilct. :( Please let me know if you need anything form me.

Mark[edit]

  • Slow, very slow, progress on prototyping - looking into how to fetch real data, which is way more complex than the first attempt I made
  • Meetingpocalypse today, so I'll be in and out of working.

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings! Lots of meetings!
  • Trying to find time to work on adding the actual template for Template:3dpatent
  • reviewing Phab tickets on Multimedia and SDoC boards
  • pinging Anthony on status of QA

Cormac[edit]

  • Failed to abandon deleted file links bug - maybe making progress
  • A few other things assigned

Pam[edit]

  • Meetings!!!!!!
  • Wireframe - multilingual <name here> in UploadWizard - not quite ready yet
  • Other UW issues on the radar


2017-12-14[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Preparing Special:Upload JS tweaks to add 3dpatent template once we roll out 3D
  • Will change default 3D object orientation to match thingiverse

Mark[edit]

  • Hopefully everyone saw that the Toby meeting got cancelled
  • Prototyping: Slow, but working through things.

Ramsey[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Have a plan for getting community feedback on designs (will share with Ramsey)
  • Meeting with JMo today to do some persona/user group exploration

Max[edit]

  • Nothing to report

Chris[edit]

  • Nothing to report

Cormac[edit]

  • Still digging on that moving files to commons bug

Parking Lots[edit]

  • Design gangs
  • Blocked column
  • How slow Abit is in BGoT


2017-12-18[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Meeting with WMDE conflicts with standup, will not be attending
  • Prototyping - got some data work done last week, going to start working on frontend because ugh PHP

Ramsey[edit]

  • Same as Mark, attending last minute check-in meeting with WMDE so will miss this
  • Still working on covering the bases with WMF Legal on the 3D patent stuff and revisiting the new 3D patent license on Beta
  • A number of impromptu discussions with SDoC team members about planning for next month, including George Oates sessions

Matthias =[edit]

  • Updated UW & Special:Upload to add correct patent templates
  • Tests to write for above & prepare MediaWiki:Common.js for above changes

Cormac[edit]

  • Still digging on that moving files to commons bug
  • Submitted patch for ULS

Pam[edit]

  • Reviewing roadmap for next year
  • Working on personas (in preparation for meeting with JMo tomorrow)

Max[edit]

  • No MM updates


2017-12-19[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Not around for standup
  • Still working on tweaks to MediaWiki:UploadForm.js (the custom script that adds those (?) thingies in Special:Upload)
    • Apparently, this needs the creation of about a billion templates/messages/... to set up, so this will take me a little longer than expected...

Mark[edit]

  • Prototyping: No progress yesterday, but continuing on with frontend work today
  • MI API work: Unblocked by WMDE yesterday, should be good to go on any API use we want to do (for now)
  • Code review: Not done yet, will clean up whatever Cormac didn't get to yesterday/today before jumping into prototyping work

Ramsey[edit]

  • Following up with mobile PMs and Corey on mobile support/plans for SDoC
  • Revisiting 3dpatent template
  • following up on various old items to make sure nothing got forgotten
  • reviewing what we need to do (if anything) for annual planning

Cormac[edit]

  • Work on bug - moving files to Commons
    • Documented what has been done - then will set aside
  • CR - +2'd a change, +1'd others
    • Special:Upload change still needs some work

Pam[edit]

  • Still working on yesterday's things (personas/stakeholders)
  • Researching possible design activities for envisioning the future of Commons


2017-12-20[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Managed to make required changes to MediaWiki:UploadForm.js (custom JS for Special:Upload) on local machine - instructions in Phab
  • Checking if I can move parts of Special:Upload patent patch into Extension:3D

Pam[edit]

  • Wireframing additional MLC versions

Max[edit]

  • No MM updates

Ramsey[edit]

  • Refactored 3dpatent template
    • Waiting for legal to respond to how that template looks & translation schedule
  • Sandra will no longer be SDoC CL - will be Keegan
  • We may be getting a new developer
  • George Oates partnership to define Commons vision (Ramsey, Pam & Amanda currently involved)

Mark[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • Able to reproduce cache pollution bug around moved/deleted files

Chris[edit]

  • Not much, just lurking


2017-12-21[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Refactoring bits of Special:Upload

Mark[edit]

  • Slow progress on prototyping - have some data loaded, need to consider how to edit

Ramsey[edit]

  • Sync up with GLAM team
  • Go-ahead from legal (without translations)
  • Tweak legal language for 3dpatent template
  • Check Phab boards
  • Check in on community discussions for SDoC

Pam[edit]

  • Finished initial wireframes (want to do more holistic UW ones)
  • Will sum up feedback on team communication

Cormac[edit]

  • Worked on scoping exercise
  • Looking into backlinks cache issue
  • CR & general cleanup