Mobile support in MediaWiki core/status
Last update on: 2012-06-monthly
Arthur and Patrick drafted a rough task list of what needs to get done for the migration
Patrick created a new mobile skin and removed the need for the output buffer
Change If61797aa: Skin rewrite from MaxSem https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#change,5361
Max Semenik has rewritten MobileFrontend to use MediaWiki's skin infrastructure. We're continuing to further remove any Wikimedia-specific code from the extension in preparation for a migration to core. Future work will involve an easy way to create custom output based on the view (mobile, desktop, tablet).
- Change If9e7c468: Adds MFCompatCheck class, which is intended to track compatibility issues/statuses between MobileFrontend and MW core. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/6586/
- Change Ia9510d69: Adds support to HTMLForm for rendering form fields wrapped in divs or just plain old (mostly) raw form fields. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/6636/
- Change I97ed2539: Adds 'removeQueryValue' method to WebRequest (removing custom code in MobileFrontend to perform the same task) https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/6562/
- Change I62bbd0f8: Preparations for moving classes into core, https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/6635/
- Change I4d524fd7: First shot at integrating MobileFrontend into core: move prop=extracts here, https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/7048/
We've updated the timeline section and added owners for each task
Max added improved, modular device detection support to MW core (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/8350/) and Arthur's updates to HTMLForm are awaiting approval and merging to core (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/6636/)
Patrick Reilly, Max Semenik, and Arthur Richards worked on the very ambitious project of moving MobileFrontend to MediaWiki core. We now have a dedicated set of tasks for the project and have started to process them. Max added modular device detection support to core, and Arthur migrated HTMLForm.
This project was mostly on hold.