Mobile/PhoneGap/iOS build instructions
This page is obsolete. It is kept for historical interest only. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
Wikipedia's new official mobile application is designed to run cross-platform using the PhoneGap framework. Initial steps to make it work on iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) are underway.
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- XCode 4.3
- PhoneGap 1.4.1 for iPhone (We are incompatible with v1.5 for now)
- after installing XCode, install the PhoneGap iPhone frameworks
$ git clone git://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile.git
You'll need to pull some submodules also:
$ git submodule init $ git submodule update
- Open 'Wikipedia-iOS.xcodeproj' in XCode
- Select an appropriate simulator
- or ... a real device. Getting that set up is an exercise for the reader.
- Hit 'Run'
You can't distribute applications you've compiled yourself very easily due to Apple's distribution system, which is designed to give Apple a stranglehold (and slice of gross sales) for all software on the iOS platform.
Unsupported features at this time:
- "Share page"
The iOS version currently uses a toolbar similar to the web app version; this is different from Android where there's a popup menu for the special Android menu key.