- See Manual:Interface/Sitenotice for instructions
Perhaps it's my imagination, but the information on the main article page appears slightly deficient. Davydog 15:46, 1 August 2011 (UTC)
Not sure what's going on, but MediaWiki:Sitenotice looks like
while on the pages of the site, the notice comes up as
It looks like it is replacing the wikilink with with bold. This is something I would associate with wikilinks to the page itself (e.g. in navigation templates) but that doesn't appear to apply here.
Is everyone getting this problem?
I am using Google Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m (and it says "Google Chrome is up to date.")
- OK... so as soon as I saved the above message, the problem disappeared. I am now getting the correct site message at the top of my screen. Very weird. Yaris678 (talk) 12:45, 28 December 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the report. Weird indeed and I doubt it can be your browser's fault, I have no idea what to do. Your hint may be the right one, probably the sitenotice was cached in that version when someone visited the linked page; I'll replace it with an interwiki link. --Nemo 13:14, 28 December 2013 (UTC)
I think the Phabricator RFC should probably be advertised with a site-wide announcement, given that we're talking about a change of tools that would basically impact almost every user of mediawiki.org. Does anyone object to using a sitenotice for this? Something like:
I'm thinking of letting it run until the next milestone (April 28) and see if it makes sense to keep it longer then. guillom 16:09, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- +1. But use an interwiki link to avoid the problem above. --Nemo 16:29, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- +1. ~ Seb35 [^_^] 22:58, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- Done! Thanks. guillom 07:52, 25 April 2014 (UTC)
Hello, good news! Thanks to FreedomFighterSparrow and Brion, unregistered users can now hide the sitenotice again. Previously, they were forced to see it continuously.
In all cases, please use the sitenotice with care, and keep in mind that occasional visitors see sitenotices on all their visits, if they visit less than once a month or they don't click "dismiss" and save a cookie. Nemo 15:43, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
Copy edit needed
The current message needs a copy edit. How can I do that? I see "View Source" instead of "Edit". Among other errors: "Please help us identifying", a proper dash instead of a hyphen, and a missing comma. Jonesey95 (talk) 04:09, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
- The "View source" is not an error, but rather the notice is protected from editing by most users to prevent abuse. Tropicalkitty (talk) 05:12, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
Technical Conference Input
I am running a survey to find out how MediaWiki can be improved for the typical non-Wikimedia user. The survey was reviewed by several MWStake folks, who are also sharing it on their own platforms. Having a banner here on MediaWiki.org would be fantastic.
You can read more about the surveys on my company blog at https://professional.wiki/en/news/mediawiki-survey. Note that the surveys themselves are not branded in any way.
I'd like to run a banner that links to the surveys for a few days starting later this week and am posting here as a request for permission.
- @Jeroen De Dauw: Please ask on Project:Current issues, which is followed a lot more than this page. Jdforrester (WMF) (talk) 18:06, 21 April 2020 (UTC)