MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group/Tasks/Feature wishlist/2019 assessment
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group/Tasks/Feature wishlist/2015 assessment
- DevSummit 2018: Supporting Third-Party Use of MediaWiki T183312
- TechConf 2018: Building MediaWiki to Support Collaboration T206075
- TechConf 2018: Choosing installation methods and environments for 3rd party users T206059
Review 2015 stakeholders wishlist
- Easier installation, extension management and a better upgrade process are being addressed by Meza, but there is still work ahead. Everyone is encouraged to contribute to that project.
- Editing and VisualEditor - Installation issues will be solved by the Parsoid port (ongoing since 2015, planned to take another ~2 years). Not much we can do to hasten that.
- Skinning and UI - RfC ongoing right now: T217158
This is a brief list of features discussed as being important for enterprise use cases:
- Fine-grained access control
- Packaged ontologies to bootstrap new wikis
- Improvements in output formats like PDF
- Better search
- Personal file management (like dropbox)
- Being able to check out a file like in Sharepoint
- Continued improvement of VE
- Expand the use of the "Maintained by mwstake" banner
- Have companies put their logo next to the extension banner for "who uses this"
- How do we audit the use of the banner (make sure it is used appropriately, what are the rules/steps for an extension to get the banner)?
- Can we create a "curated" list of extensions that are useful for enterprise users (start with Meza?)
- Can we hook into Wikiapiary or MediaWiki Pingback to grab info about who uses what extensions?
- Make templates similar to Template:OnWikimedia for major enterprise MediaWiki users (preferably including whom to contact to ask about usage of that extension at that org) to build trust in widely used extensions
- Track progression of T200375: Implement Pingback v2
- Verify WikiApiary pulls new version of data from Pingback to provide metrics on extension usage