MediaWiki 1.17/Wikimedia deployment
|Other languages:||English • català • Deutsch • Esperanto • español • français • Bahasa Indonesia • italiano • português • русский • Tiếng Việt • 中文|
- This page is only about deployment to Wikimedia Foundation servers.
On 2011-02-16 at 6:00 UTC-12:00 UTC, we plan to deploy 1.17 to as many wikis as we can during this six hour window. See the list below for our progress.
Update 2011-02-16, 12:39 UTC - We have now pushed 1.17 to all wikis, and the deployment window is closed. Please see below for the best way to report any problems you might encounter.
MediaWiki is the software that runs Wikipedia and all the Wikimedia wikis.
An upgrade to a newer version of MediaWiki (1.17) is scheduled during two deployment windows in the next week
- (Done) First wave – This wave was Friday, February 11, 6:00 UTC – 12:00 UTC (10pm PST Thursday, February 10 in San Francisco). This first wave was on limited set of wikis. See Wikimedia Techblog post about the first wave of deployment for more information.
- Second wave – Wednesday February 16 (between 6:00 UTC – 12:00 UTC) – most wikis. We'll be deploying more debug code and deploy to as many wikis as we can without overloading the site.
The most visible change for Wikimedia users will be the deployment of ResourceLoader.
The tech team have been doing their best to make the upgrade go smoothly, but some issues may arise. Please help us solve them by reporting them (see below).
Thank you for your support and your understanding.
What to do if you encounter an issue
- Wait a few minutes; the tech team may be already aware of the issue and working on it.
- Join the #wikimedia-tech channel on Freenode.
- If you encounter an issue after the upgrade, please report it on our bug tracker.
Wiki we'll be updating
Phase 1 (completed February 11)
- mediawikiwiki (on February 14)
Phase 2 (underway February 16)
- eowiki (done 6:27 UTC)
- nlwiki (done 7:00 UTC)
- dewiki (done 7:00 UTC)
- jawiki (done 7:00 UTC)
- commons (done 7:00 UTC)
- enwiktionary (done 7:00 UTC)
- zhwiki (done 7:00 UTC)
- enwiki (1st attempt 10:02 UTC; done 11:20 UTC)
- All wikis (done 11:30 UTC)
- Others as time/debugging allows
Here's a few of the known issues with 1.17, resolved bugs are manually stroked below (for example
bug 27302: RL: Avoid unnecessary and uncached requests for user and site modules
- bug 27323: WMF Logo/Button not served via Bits
bug 27330: revreview-editnotice is aligned LTR in he.wikisource bug 27352: Wikimedia deployment needs /w/resources directory symlinked or overridden for debug mode bug 27354: "log me in globally" is logging me out in 1.17 bug 27355: Classic edit toolbar buttons fail in IE6 when WikiEditor automatically falls back bug 27368: 1.17 deployment enables enhanced toolbar even when disabled in prefs bug 27430: Special:CentralAuth shouldn't use always minutes
- bug 27432: Set foreground color in vector
bug 27451: CategoryTree shows categories just ul lists bug 27458: <gallery> has a white background now bug 27508: No access to some pages containing images
See our up-to-date list of post deploy cleanup tasks for a full list of issues we hope to tackle shortly.