|This page contains release notes for an unsupported version of MediaWiki.|
- 1 MediaWiki 1.1
- 2 MediaWiki release notes
- 2.1 Version 1.1.0, 2003-12-08
- 2.2 mediawiki-20031118
- 2.3 mediawiki-20031117
- 2.4 mediawiki-20031107
- 2.5 mediawiki-20030829
- MediaWiki Stable Releases 1.1.x
No one should install these on new wikis – security updates for older wikis only.
- Released on: 2003-12-08
- Download at: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wikipedia/mediawiki-1.1.0.tar.gz?download
- Changes: Release Notes (old location)
MediaWiki release notes
Version 1.1.0, 2003-12-08
This is the new production release. Any following 1.1.x releases are expected to contain only bug fixes; developments of new features will go towards a 1.2.0 release. New features in 1.1:
- New wiki table syntax: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide:_Using_tables
- User-editable interface messages: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace
- XML-wrapped page source export with optional history: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_import_and_export (There is not yet an import function!)
- "Magic words" Fixes and tweaks:
- linkscc table caches link data for rendering; faster rebuildlinks.php
- Numerous bugs in Cologne Blue skin fixed
- Login gives warning about missing cookies
- Block log, protection log added; deletion log now includes undeletions
- Deletion & upload logs now escape comment text properly
- Problems with <nowiki> segments in section titles etc mitigated
- Contributions offset and minor edit bugs fixed
- Whatlinkshere now sorted alphabetically
- Various exciting new profiling options.
- Debug log is off by default.
- Various small bugs fixed. Internal changes:
- wfQuery has had a second parameter inserted, DB_READ or DB_WRITE. This value is not actually used so far.
- Partial code for categories and Smarty template-based skins is in the tree but disabled.
- Parts of Article.php have been moved to EditPage.php and ImagePage.php. New translations:
- fi - Finnish
- ia - Interlingua
- no - Norwegian
- sk - Slovak
- ta - Tamil
"linkscc" table added. If upgrading manually (rather than with update.php), run maintenance/archives/patch-linkscc.sql to create the table. Older releases were dated snapshots from the old 'stable' branch:
- Image deletion fixed.
- Deletion of image old revisions now restricted to sysops (this is an irreversible action and not well logged)
- Fixed maintenance scripts broken by last release's security fix
- Many errors in rebuildlinks script fixed.
- SECURITY FIX: stricter checking of include path
- Fixed user contributions next/prev bug
- Login cookies now have the database name prefixed to allow wikis to coexist in the same domain. This will invalidate any old saved password cookies.
- Update cache timestamp when talk pages are created
- Saving the login form in Mozilla no longer blanks password in prefs.
- Check existence of source page before performing a move.
- Detect invalid titles in Special:Allpages
- Q-encode headers on outgoing inter-user e-mail
- Updates to some translations.
- Added table of contents border/bg to Cologne Blue, Nostalgia skins
- Protected pages no longer appear unprotected when visited via redirect
- Swapped old Wikipedia logo for the MediaWiki sunflower logo
- install.php, update.php print warning on old PHP versions, added compatibility functions that might or might not help No database changes since 20031107; upgrading should be clean.
- Fixed various bugs!
- Some speed improvements from tweaks to the table indexes
- Limited support for memcached (see below)
- New translations (see below)
- Interwiki link data now kept in database for flexibility
- Friendlier read-only source view if asked to edit a page when the db is locked or the page is protected.
- Normal IP blocks auto-expire after 24 hours
- Optional support for blocking usernames
- Uploads disabled by default (see below)
<Directory "/Library/MediaWiki/web/upload"> # Ignore .htaccess files AllowOverride None # Serve HTML as plaintext AddType text/plain .html .htm .shtml # Don't run arbitrary PHP code. php_admin_flag engine off # If you've other scripting languages, disable them too. </Directory>
If you're using update.php, the necessary database changes should be made automatically. To manually upgrade your database from the 2003-08-29 release, run the following SQL scripts from the maintenance subdirectory: archives/patch-ipblocks.sql archives/patch-interwiki.sql archives/patch-indexes.sql interwiki.sql To copy in the Wikipedia language-prefix interwikis as well, add: wikipedia-interwiki.sql
New interface localization files are included for:
- fy - Frisian
- ro - Romanian
- sl - Slovene
- sq - Albanian
- sr - Serbian
Memcached is a distributed cache system. See http://www.danga.com/memcached/ MediaWiki can optionally use memcached to store some data between calls to reduce load on the database. Currently this is limited to user and talk page notification data, interwiki prefix/URL matches, and the UTF-8 conversion tables. MediaWiki includes version 1.0.10 of the (GPL'd) PHP memcached client by Ryan Gilfether; if memcached is disabled it acts as a dummy object with minimal overhead. To use memcached you'll need PHP installed with sockets support (this is not in the default configure options). See docs/memcached for some more details. Additionally, you can store login session data in memcached instead of the local filesystem, which can help to enable load-balancing by letting login sessions transparently work on multiple front-end web servers. (The primary other issue is with uploads, which requires some care in handling.) To enable this, set $wgSessionsInMemcached = true; and set $wgCookieDomain appropriately if exposing multiple hostnames. This system is new and may be volatile; login sessions will fail dramatically if memcached is unavailable when this option is turned on.
Documentation for both end-users and site administrators is currently being built up on Meta-Wikipedia, and is covered under the GNU Free Documentation License: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide
A MediaWiki-l mailing list has been set up distinct from the Wikipedia wikitech-l list: http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
UseModWiki import script
A stripped-down UseModWiki import script is available in the maintenance subdirectory. It is incomplete and requires a lot of manual clean-up, but does function for the brave and pure of heart.
Test suite removed
The unmaintained Java-based test suite has been removed from the tarball release. If you really want it you can check it out from CVS.
First release under MediaWiki name.