Manual talk:Configuration settings
Let's kill the insane contents of this page!
I don't understand what value this page adds.
- Category:MediaWiki configuration settings#mw-pages and other categories automatically list every variable.
- The generated documentation
should be the canonical source of the config variable descriptions.
- (BTW, I'm not sure why Modules > Global settings in the generated doc is empty.)
So, why are we manually maintaining yet another way to get lost in 900+ configuration variables?
Note that MediaWiki is moving away from
$wgSomeName globals (phab:T11968):
- Extensions specify SomeName settings in extension.json that update configuration variables (see Manual:Extension registration).
- Code should query
context->config->get( 'Somename ) (see Manual:Configuration for developers).
- That leaves just LocalSettings.php still screwing with
I'll be returning to this issue as part of a future reorganizing and deprecating
$wg. I'd be happy if someone else is brave and kills 1000 lines of this before me :-)
- I use this page on a daily basis as part of providing support to Project:Support desk or IRC, whenever I have to check a variable name that I don't know if I'm spelling it right or I don't remember exactly the name. Categories are hard to navigate, while having all variables on one page and a small description is very valuable when performing searches on the page from the browser itself. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) 09:42, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
- While MW is moving away, it hasn't moved, so the documentation is still required.
- The category listing(s), although listy, offer little to no information; they're just lists of links which all require following to be of any value.
- Having a tidy single online source of basic info about related variables makes life easy for folk looking for info IMO.
- What harm does it do to maintain this documentation while it's still relevant? I'd be the first to suggest
killingarchiving it when it's redundant. fredgandt 09:45, 7 March 2016 (UTC)