Manual:Running MediaWiki on ALT Linux
|It has been suggested that this page or section be merged with Manual:Installing MediaWiki. (Discuss)|
This article gives instructions for people who want to run MediaWiki on a ALT Linux system.
Prerequisites: Apache, MySQL and PHP
Versions of packages in ALT Linux branch/4.0 are ok for MediaWiki.
Just do a
apt-get update apt-get install lamp-server chkconfig httpd2 on service httpd2 start chkconfig mysqld on service mysqld start a2enmod mod_php5
For branch/p7 you also have to do
apt-get install php5-dom
PHP security configuration
PHP in ALT Linux has quite secure defaults, so change the following settings in /etc/php/<version>/apache-mod_php/php.ini:
- safe_mode - turn it off
- memory_limit - raise to 500M
- suhosin.executor.func.blacklist, suhosin.executor.eval.blacklist, disable_functions - remove 'system', 'chdir', 'popen' and 'passthru' from those blacklists.
- remove 'exec', 'shell_exec', 'chdir' from blacklists
Page editing will break on very long pages unless you change the limit in /etc/php/<version>/apache-mod_php/php.d/suhosin.ini:
- suhosin.post.max_value_length - increase it to 650000
service httpd2 restart
For experienced users, here is the quick version of the installation instructions. Most users will want to go through all the passages.
- Check that your system meets the minimum requirements shown nearby; Installation requirements has more details.
- Download MediaWiki (direct link to download the stable release version) and extract the archive to a web-accessible folder on your server.
- Point your browser to the directory where MediaWiki was extracted and follow the link to the setup screen. It should be in the form
http://domain/directory/mw-config/index.php. Replace directory with the path to your extracted MediaWiki folder. If installing on a local machine, replace domain with
localhost. If you install locally and later want to access your wiki from domain, then you will need to change LocalSettings.php from
localhostto domain. If installed on a remote server, replace domain with your server's domain name (eg: www.myserver.com).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
These instructions are deliberately brief. There is a lot that could go wrong, so if in doubt, you are advised to read the full instructions!