Manual:Pywikibot/Create your own script
This page lists some very basic tips for getting started writing your own bot. Make sure you've set up your user-config.py file!
You can either use the following commands in a shell, or in a script.
To open a shell, run
python pwb.py shell;
As a script, please save the file as 'myscript.py' in the 'scripts/' directory; then run
python pwb.py myscript.
- To gain access to the pywikipedia framework, use:
- to retrieve a page, use the following, where pageName is the title of the page you would like to retrieve, e.g., "Wikipedia:Bots" or "India":
site = pywikibot.Site() page = pywikibot.Page(site, u"pageName") text = page.text
- to update a page, use:
page.text = u"newText" page.save(u"Edit comment")
- look at some of the pywikibot files for other ideas -- scripts/basic.py is relatively easy to read even if you're new to pywikibot.
- you can find all available Page methods in the pywikibot/page.py file.
- basic.py gives you a setup that can be used for many different bots, all you have to do is define the string editing on the page text.
- To iterate over a set of pages, see pywikibot/pagegenerators.py (see also old documentation) for some objects that return a set of pages. An example use of the CategoryPageGenerator that does something for each page in the Category:Living people category:
import pywikibot from pywikibot import pagegenerators site = pywikibot.Site() cat = pywikibot.Category(site,'Category:Living people') gen = pagegenerators.CategorizedPageGenerator(cat) for page in gen: #Do something with the page object, for example: text = page.text