You can type in the Akan alphabet with all the special letters! (The same alphabet is used also for Twi and Fante.)
This keyboard layout uses the tilde character to type the Akan letters Ɛ and Ɔ. There's also another way to type Akan, which doesn't use the tilde. It's documented on the page Help:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector/Input methods/ak-qx. Choose whichever is comfortable for you!
To enable this keyboard layout, do the following:
- Click the search box at the top of the page.
- Click the little keyboard icon that appears near the search box.
- If "Akan" appears at the top of the list, select "Akan tilde".
- If "Akan" doesn't appear at the top of the list, do the following:
- Click "..." at the bottom of the list. A panel will appear.
- Find "Akan" in the panel. Click it.
- Click the little keyboard icon again, and select "Akan tilde".
To disable this special keyboard and go back to type usually, click the little keyboard icon and then click "Use native keyboard", or press Ctrl-M. To re-enable the Akan keyboard, repeat the steps listed above.
To type Akan letters, type the tilde (
~), and after it type the Latin letter that is the most similar to the Akan letter. For example, to type Ɛ, type ~ and then E. The full list:
|To type this letter...||Type these keyboard keys:|