Jump to navigation Jump to search
This will be the help page for Wikipedia editors and other end users who are using DiscussionTools.
Links are added after each comment for posting quick replies to existing discussions.
- At the end of each signed message, there will be a [ reply ] link. Click that link to reply to the message.
- A box will open. Your message will be placed where the box is located.
- Type your reply in the box. Your signature and the date will be added to your reply automatically.
- When you are ready to post your reply, click the button.
- You can switch between visual and wikitext source editing modes.
- In the wikitext source mode, a live preview shows what your message will look like while you are typing it.
- In the visual mode, you can use keyboard shortcuts to make links, to @-mention the person you're replying to, and to add character formatting.
- As of 2020, this tool does not work with multi-line templates or wikitext codes that must be placed at the start of a line (e.g., wikitext table syntax). You will not be able to switch to visual mode if you comment contains this syntax. See Reply tool visual mode limitations.
- The tool will only show on:
- Pages in talk namespaces
- Pages in namespaces which have been configured to show the 'add signature' tool (
$wgExtraSignatureNamespaces). For most Wikimedia wikis this is the project and help namespaces.
- Pages which have manually added the Add topic button using
- The Reply tool is visible when it detects a link to a user account and a timestamp on the same line. Some custom signatures will not be detected. See Why can't I reply to this comment?.