Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This handbook was created as part of a project to improve documentation for hackathon organizers. We developed a new structure for the documentation and improved it with new content. We hope you will use it and build upon it! |
Please refer to the talk page for more information on this project and the sources used to create its content. Thank you!
- Organizer team
- Team roles and responsibilities.
- Finances and sponsors
- Sample budgets, how to find and approach sponsors
- Venue and wifi
- How to choose the right venue and how to set it up. From room sizes to help desk to sockets.
- Prepare for emergencies
- Make sure everyone knows what they should do when something goes wrong.
- What you can do to encourage diversity and inclusivity in the community.
- Food, drinks, snacks
- So important that they get their own chapter.
- A year of Hackathon planning.
- Manage participants
- Registration, scholarships, visa, travel, accommodation, payment process.
- How to reach new participants and create an awesome experience for first-time attendees.
- Volunteer roles
- Give participants the option to contribute to the event in different ways, from venue setup to mentoring to blogging.
- How to get MediaWiki power-users and people who use MediaWiki in their business involved in the event.
Communications + Outreach
- Promotion and press
- Make your event known within the community and beyond, and find stories for the press.
- Design and print materials
- Everything from name badges and T-shirts to banners and info posters.
- Communicate with participants
- When to reach out to your participants and in what way. Email templates, Telegram channel, etc.
Schedule + Program
- Program and sessions
- Scheduling content and sessions before and during the event.
- Social events
- Karaoke, quiz night, dancing party or wine tasting – fun activities before and during the event.
- Suggestions for future hackathons
- Get inspired by a couple of new ideas from both participants and organizers, just waiting to be tried out.
- Design Your Mentoring Program
- Ideas and tips to help design a mentoring program that works for your own event and community
- Mentoring Program Examples
- Specific examples of past or ongoing mentoring programs & buddy programs
- Mentoring Tips
- Ideas, tips and lessons for mentors themselves
The Big Day(s)...
- Event week
- Show time! Prepare as best as possible by creating a plan of action and a packing list.
... and what comes after
- After the event
- Wrapping up with participants, feedback, documentation and reporting.
|Please help to add any useful content from these pages into the above documentation!|
|Page||What's on the page?||Is all relevant content on this page already included in the documentation on /Hackathons and its sub-pages?|
|Project:Calendar/How to schedule an event||Tips for all kinds of events, like meetups, developer summit, IRC office hours, etc.
It is in need of being re-done eventually. The part that is most important there is the scheduling tech-talk details.
|m:Wikimania_Handbook||Big Handbook for all Wikimania organizers.||YES|
|m:Wikimania_checklist||A brief checklist as an addition to the Wikimania handbook.||YES|
|m:User:Phoebe/Wikimania#Things_to_consider_and_tips||Started by User:Phoebe, There are some great tips in there.||If you find useful tips here that aren't in the handbook already, please merge them into the correct section/chapter of the handbook!|
|User:Jean-Frédéric/Hackathon handbook||A handbook started by User:Jean-Frédéric in 2014, after the London Wikimania Hackathon, before the major documentation for hackathon organizers was put into place.||If you find useful tips here that aren't in the handbook already, please merge them into the correct section/chapter of the handbook!|
|m:Category:Hackathon_learning_patterns||Learning patterns.||If you find a useful pattern that's not linked already, please link it in the according section/ chapter of the handbook!|
|m:Category:Event_patterns||Learning patterns.||If you find a useful pattern that's not linked already, please link it in the according section/ chapter of the handbook!|
|m:Events/Checklist||A small list of things to have during the event, not maintained, not complete. It could maybe me moved or redirected.||YES|
|m:Events_kit||A small selection of resources (not complete).||YES|
plus the Learning Pattern that breaks this down:
|A link to this is included in /Hackathons/Before you start planning.||YES|
|m:Events/FAQ||Very brief, concerns stands and exhibitions booths. *not* targeted at hackathon organizers.||YES|
|https://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2011/09/01/0||Personal experience + Tips from Wikimedia hackathon organizer Sumana||If you find useful tips here that aren't in the handbook already, please merge them into the correct section/chapter of the handbook!|
|https://lists.gt.net/wiki/foundation/312412||[Wikimedia-l] Run a local tech training event - I can help you start (2012-11-11)||If you find useful tips here that aren't in the handbook already, please merge them into the correct section/chapter of the handbook|
- What Do Women Want At Hackathons? NASA Has A List
- skim http://blog.okfn.org/2012/10/26/hackathons-the-how-to-guide/