Growth/Communities/How to introduce yourself as a mentor
You are interested to become a mentor? Thank you!
Please check our resources about how to interact with newcomers and then introduce yourself as a mentor.
Presentation on the Homepage
The Newcomer Homepage is designed to help newcomers on their first steps on Wikipedia. The Homepage will randomly assign your name to a newcomer: you will be their mentor.
On the Homepage, a space gives you the opportunity to introduce yourself to those newcomers. By default, the presentation is: "This experienced user knows you're new and can help you with editing.".
Please introduce yourself in a short way: 240 characters max. That limitation is set to avoid long text that would overload the information already visible on the Homepage. Wikitext will not be rendered for the same reasons. To know more about you, newcomers can visit your user page, linked from the Homepage.
You username will already be displayed on the Homepage. No need to remind newcomers who you are in your presentation.
(Due to translations, the examples below may exceed the 240 characters limit.)
You can introduce yourself with something very neutral:
- "I am here to help you navigating Wikipedia, please feel free to ask!"
You have enough experience to reply to any question. Don't let people think you can only help them about something specific.
- Don't write "I edit articles about football." Newcomers may think that they can't ask you about anything else than football.
- Prefer to write: "I'm mostly contributing about football but I can help you with any other topic, as far as I can."
You can invite people to contact you:
- "I can help you with your questions about editing Wikipedia. I'm mostly contributing about football. What would be your area of contributions?"
- "I was as confused as you are now. But asking questions to experienced users helped me. Please feel free to ask me any question!"
How to add your presentation to the mentor list
The mentor list for your wiki is listed on Wikidata.
Add your name to the list, using the following syntax:
* [[User:Trizek]]|I contribute about many topics and I will be very happy to help you!
Do not add wikitext, HTML and CSS to the description: it will break it.