MediaWiki Group Ahmedabad
This group aims to conduct hackathons, meetups and develop in-house technical expertise so that we can make Gujarati Wikipedia more functional and easier for editors to write on. With the help of some guidance from WMF staff and other community members we have already implemented HotCat, Popups and Reference Tooltip on GU WP. The group can also prepare User script, Gadget, Extension, guidelines, tutorials and useful material that can be passed on for other Indian language Wikipedia communities to refer.
We believe that there is a solid need to work on MediaWiki, especially in the Indian context because the readership numbers are going up drastically but the number of editors are still very low. This might be because of the difficulties in typing, unavailability of tools and more.
Areas of collaboration:
- Localize Gadgets for Gujarati Wikipedia and Wikisource
- Create New Gadgets and extensions
- Bug solving for Gujarati Wikipedia and WikiSource and also other MediaWiki related Bug solving for all Indian languages
- Translate into Gujarati Language, i.e. translatewiki.net
- 2012-12-21: Group proposal submitted to the Affiliations Committee.
- 2012-12-14: Proposal announced to wikitech-l and other lists.
Who is interested
- More Promoters are welcome
- Noopur28: I am on the non-technical side and can help with translations to Gujarati and managing the mailing list or organizing meetups and such.
- Dhaval Shah:Being conversant with programming,I am keen to contribute to MediaWiki using my technical knowledge at best.At present I am an active contributor in Gujarati Wikipedia.
- Samkit:Having coding practices, I am used to wikipedia scripts and want to contribute to MediaWiki. I am also actively contributing to Gujarati Wikipedia.
- Akash:I will be happy to become part of it.I would love to preserve my mother tounge.
- Hitarth:I am currently studying in Engineering.I can help on technical as well as non technical side.
- Dishant:Coding enthusiast. Keen to contribute in MediaWiki. Active on Gujarati Wikipedia.
- Arjun:I would like to contribute on technical as well as non technical side.I would Love to Preserve the Mother Tongue.
- Yuvi: Would be glad to help with contributions on the Technical side - can conduct small hackathons / trainings too!
- Rangilo Gujarati : Endorsing in full support of Harsh, this group with help of Yuvi and other members can aim for small technical outreach events too !!
- Kondi: Let there be MediaWiki Group Ahmedabad!
- Ansuman Giri: My support! :) Ported many gadgets to Odia Wikipedia, would love to join you guys whenever possible.
- Harsh has been actively interested in the creation of this group and the right ways to proceed since we announced Groups. His questions have helped defining the process itself. He is involved in the MediaWiki community and it is great to see him putting time and energies in creating this group.--Qgil (talk) 21:59, 13 December 2012 (UTC)
- A great initiative. Best wishes and all the support from my side. --Sucheta Ghoshal (talk) 16:47, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
- Harsh has indeed volunteered to pick a MediaWiki extension Project idea and seem to be willing to be more active in technical community. The proposal looks good. --Dereckson (talk) 18:59, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
- Best wishes to Harsh and all the Gujarati techies! :-) BPositive (talk) 07:48, 3 January 2013 (UTC)