You can provide feedback on the player here or file bugs here
I have been trying the mwEmbed gadget on and off on the English wikipedia, and while some features are very attractive there are usability problems that dissuade me from keeping the gadget enabled for more than just experimentation. Here are some of the problems:
- the menu bar does not always hide itself and remains covering up the bottom part of the video, I found this in w:en:Out of the Inkwell and w:en:Betty Boop - see Betty's signature "Pen and Ink" song theme (nine-second clip)
- This might have been an old bug.. having trouble recreating it, is it still doing it for you now? ( r126 )
- there is no easy way to click through to the description page of the video, this differs from the behaviour of images; I suggest a short link symbol, maybe in the menu bar itself
- This is exposed at the end of the video with the "credits" screen or clicking on "menu" then "credits", but we may want to give it even more viability.
- (this maybe a wikimedia server problem) I use the Firefox extension Firebug to show me what is being downloaded, and I noticed several repeating GET calls to a small fragment of the video, each sized around 10 to 20 kilobytes. These repeating calls appear to cause a several second delay to the total page load. If this is the mwEmbed player doing this, why? Is it trying to get a video still frame as a snapshot?
- This is firefox's download play algorithm. it grabs a few segments via http ranged requests to get the duration of the video and to enable seeks.
And here are a few things I like, and should be kept:
- clicking the pause button keeps the video image area clear of any symbols; other video players on the web annoy me by placing a large "pause" symbol in the video center
- closed captions
- download option
- choice of players, but please allow the user to also choose the native player of the browser
- Thanks for the feedback will cc your talk page Mdale 17:54, 1 June 2010 (UTC)
MwEmbed Player - Feedback
I really like the player and would like to see this gadget enabled to all Wikimedia projects, for all users and languages. To that end, there are still some functionalities which do not work as they should, and which should be improved if possible. I use Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7.
- Change subtitle language on fullscreen mode does not work. Scenario: I have subtitle English enabled, and choose the fullscreen button of the player, so that the player plays the clip fullscreen in the browser. When I then want to change the subtitle language to German, the subtitle menu opens, but the controls do not work, no change of language is possible.
- Subtitle menu does not open correctly after revert from fullscreen to minimized mode. Scenario: Continuation of the previous. When I switch the Fullscreen button of the player to minimize the video, and then open the subtitle menu of the player, it opens on the right-hand side of the browser window, where it would have opened in fullscreen mode (only that now the player window is minimized). This only happens when I had used the subtitle menu button in fullscreen mode. It does not happen when I had not chosen the subtitle button in fullscreen mode, e.g. start video - go fullscreen - minimize video - choose subtitle menu.
- Real fullscreen mode: When I choose fullscreen in the player, it is only fullscreen in the browser tab. I would like it to go fullscreen on the entire LCD-Screen, also covering the browser menus. I know I can choose this mode with right-click in the video an choosing fullscreen, but in this mode I only have the Firefox (simple) html5-player as control, and there are no subtitles available.
I am really pleased with the progress so far and am looking forward to the new subtitle / transcription facilities. I put yesterday some subtitles in English and German to this file about the first supersonic flight: File:Yeager supersonic flight 1947.ogg Your work is relevant and appreciated! :-) Longbow4u 10:09, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
Hi, How can i install this extension in my mediawiki and where is the download link?