Release status: beta
|Description||xowa is a desktop app for reading wikimedia wikis offline|
|Latest version||18.104.22.1684 (2017-04-27)|
|License||GPLv3 / Apache2|
|Check usage and version matrix;|
xowa is a desktop application that can read Wikimedia Foundation wikis offline.
XOWA is a desktop Java application and has its own installation requirements.
To install the binaries, see the README.md file at https://github.com/gnosygnu/xowa
To install from source, do the following:
- Download the latest source from the Git repository at https://github.com/gnosygnu/xowa/archive/master.zip
- Unpack the archive on your hard drive.
- When you're done, you should have a directory called xowa/ (containing sub directories such as "400_xowa", and many others.)
- You may want to move this directory to your home directory, or some other appropiate location.
- Load the project in Eclipse
- Do "File -> Switch Workspace" to /where/you/moved/xowa/
- Select all projects and do "File -> Refresh"
- (workaround for v0.8.3) Eclipse will report build path problems.
- Create an empty folder for xowa/110_gfml/xtn
- Select all projects and do "File -> Refresh" again
- The project should now compile
- Setup the application
- Xowa uses files that are present in the binaries only (xowa.gfs; image files). These will be added to GitHub in the future.
- For now, setup the application
- Download the right release for you (e.g. "xowa_app_linux_v4" on Linux) from https://github.com/gnosygnu/xowa/releases
- Unzip to '/where/you/have/xowa/'. When you are done you should have a file called
xowa_linux.jarin there, as well as many others.
- Run the source in Eclipse
- Go to Run -> Debug Configurations -> Xowa_main -> Program Arguments
- Add an argument for "--root_dir /home/your_user_name/xowa/"
- Click on Debug
Xowa should now work.