Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, User identity|
|Description||Merges references from one user to another user in the Wiki database - can also delete old users following merge|
|Author(s)||Tim Laqua, Thomas Gries, Siebrand Mazeland|
|Latest version||1.10.1 (2019-05-31)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the UserMerge extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The UserMerge extension allows wiki users with the usermerge permission (Bureaucrat by default) to merge one Wiki user's account with another Wiki user's account.
The extension allows to
- merge (refer contributions, texts, watchlists, edit count of a first account A to a second account B)
- delete the first account A after the merge (option box)
- you cannot delete a user A without having merged the user A to B
- you cannot merge your own account (logged-in user) into a different user
- if you omit the "New User" field, then the extension auto-populates the New User as "Anonymous" (user_id 0), and ask you to confirm a merge to Anonymous. This is used for user deletion: you first empty (merge to user 0) contributions of a user A, and then delete the user A.
- If your version of the extension complains about an empty "New User" field you can fill in "Anonymous"
- the extension creates a User Merge log and logs all User Merge extension activity.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'UserMerge' ); // By default nobody can use this function, enable for bureaucrat? $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['usermerge'] = true; // optional: default is array( 'sysop' ) $wgUserMergeProtectedGroups = array( 'groupname' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.25 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension(). If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.25 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'UserMerge' );, you need to use:
- follow Installation Instructions
- a new Special Page Special:UserMerge with the title Merge and Delete Users is created
- unmergeable users can be defined (examples):
# Allow all users to be merged (by default, the 'sysop' group is unmergeable) $wgUserMergeProtectedGroups = array(); # Disallow merging of the users in the 'sysop' or 'awesomeusers' groups $wgUserMergeProtectedGroups = array( 'sysop', 'awesomeusers' );
You can use RevisionDelete extension installed by default to replace the UserMerge logs information with neutral information.
Active RevisionDelete in LocalSettings.php with :
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['deletelogentry'] = true; $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['deleterevision'] = true;
Then, from Special:Log/usermerge, you can check and disable the logs content resulting from modifications made by UserMerge with simple check box.
A better approach would be with CleanMediawiki.sh script for delete massive spam user and all logs : https://github.com/ZerooCool/cleanmediawiki
- since version 1.2
- Extension:BlockAndNuke - Extension to block and delete users.
- hideuser right - Allows to "hide" users from various lists when indefinitely blocking them
- phab:T8397 - Flag to mark accounts locked/hidden (aka remove/delete user)
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|