| Auto Create Category Pages
Release status: stable
|Description||Creates stub category pages automatically|
|Author(s)||Dror S. [FFS] (maintainer), created by Merrick Schaefer,Mark Johnston Evan Wheeler & Adam Mckaig at UNICEF|
|Latest version||1.0.3 (2017-05-10)|
|Compatibility policy||Master maintains backward compatibility.|
|MediaWiki||1.25+ (see #MediaWiki compatibility)|
|License||GNU General Public License 3.0|
|Translate the Auto Create Category Pages extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
Auto Create Category Pages (what a mouthful!) automatically creates stub pages for non-existent categories as soon as they are linked to, avoiding the confusing default behavior of "There is currently no text in this page..." or redirecting to the edit page.
For MediaWiki 1.25+, use the master branch - that is always the most recent stable version. You can download it by clicking on "Download snapshot" and then selecting "master".
Version 1.0.0 and above only works with MediaWiki 1.25.0+. Version 1.0.3 was successfully tested with MW 1.29, 1.34 & 1.35.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'AutoCreateCategoryPages' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Auto Create Category Pages has the following 3 messages in the MediaWiki namespace, which can be changed to accommodate your preferences:
|autocreatecategorypages-stub||Used as stub when creating a category page. Parameter $1 is replaced with the category's title.|
|autocreatecategorypages-createdby||Used as an "edit summary" when creating a category page.|
|autocreatecategorypages-editor||Used as username when creating a category page automatically.
If the user does not exist, it will be created automatically.
The text of 'autocreatecategorypages-stub' can also be overridden using
$wgAutoCreateCategoryStub, which can contain wikitext as well.
It is recommended to use a template as the stub, so you always change the default text for all created stubs.
Auto Create Category Pages was originally created as "Uniwiki Auto Create Category Pages" by Merrick Schaefer, Mark Johnston, Evan Wheeler & Adam Mckaig, as part of the Uniwiki project for UNICEF.
As Uniwiki extensions for MediaWiki are not maintained by the original developers anymore, according to an e-mail by Mark Johnston from Nov 9, 2012, the maintenance of this one extension was taken up by Dror S. [FFS].
- Version 1.0.3, 2017-05-10: [bugfix] The extension caused page save to fail if no it had no categories
- Version 1.0.2, 2017-03-25: A much improved query of pre-existing categories, by Brent Laabs (labster)
- Version 1.0.1, 2016-02-01: Fix bug where only the first new category page was actually created
- Version 1.0.0, 2015-05-24: Convert to extension registration for MW 1.25
- Version 0.2.0, 2013-10-28: updated to work with MW 1.21.x & MW 1.22alpha.
- Version 0.1.0, 2008-08-01: original release.