Extension:Semantic Image Annotator
This extension is currently not actively maintained! Although it may still work, any bug reports or feature requests will more than likely be ignored.
|Semantic Image Annotator
Release status: unmaintained
|Implementation||Page action, Ajax, Special page|
|Description||Allows to add, edit and observe semantic annotations to images|
|Latest version||0.7.2 (2017-06-08)|
|MediaWiki 1.36||Not formally tested|
|MediaWiki 1.34||Not formally tested|
|MediaWiki 1.32||Not formally tested|
- Download, extract and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'SemanticImageAnnotator' );
- Before using the extension, go to special page Special:SemanticImageAnnotator, press "Install" button and reload the page (Ctrl + F5).
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
In the following is the usage and functionality of Semantic Image Annotator described. It starts with establishing annotation Categories, creating new annotations, and edit and delete annotations.
Link PageForms to Annotations
Semantic Text Annotator has a special page Special:SemanticImageAnnotator which allows to Link existing Page Forms to Annotation Categories. Thus, users are very flexible in providing meta-information about an annotation, based on a Page Form. The Special Page is currently structured under the section Other Special Pages
On the Special Page, users can add and delete linked Forms to Annotation Categories, as well as colours. The currently supported colours are red, green, yellow, blue and grey. The linked Page Forms to the Annotation Category defines the called Page Form for entering meta-information about the text annotation.
On a Uploaded File Page (Namespace: 6) appears on the navigation bar an additional icon, called Annotate Image. By clicking on this button, the Annotation Mode starts. The Semantic Image Annotator Extension loads all dependencies.
Existing annotations are highlighted in the image. To create an annotation, draw with the mouse by clicking and holding on the image a rectangle. Afterwards, a popup is displayed that allows to enter a comment (optional) and select a PageForm. The categories were created and linked to the corresponding Page Forms on the Special Page (see above).
After clicking on create, a Popup is shown that allows to enter more meta-information about the marked text via Page Forms. The Page Form that appears is the corresponding one that was selected on the small window or rather linked on the special page.
After saving the Page Form, a new wiki page with the corresponding content is stored, which can be queried. The marked are in the image is marked as annotated.
Edit and Delete Annotation
To edit or delete an annotation, simply move with the mouse over the annotation which should be edited or deleted and click on the corresponding button on the top right of the mouseover-window.
For every Image that was annotated via the Semantic Image Annotator, an additional page within the Namespace Annotation is created (Namespace 248). This page lists all annotations for the corresponding wiki page. Users can jump on the specific annotation page, which contains all entered information by the user (Comment, Information from Page Forms), as well as some additional information (Modification Date, Modification Users, etc.)
The corresponding Query Syntax is depicted in the following.
- Using the same Form for Semantic Text Annotator and Semantic Image Annotator might lead to messy visualisations.
Include Reinstall Button
- Include Repair Mode
- Update on 07.06.2017: Issue solved in which non-permissioned users were allowed to create annotations.
- Update on 07.06.2017: Only sysops users can now access the Special Page of the Semantic Image Annotator.
- Update on 08.06.2017: Version 0.7.2 published with a reinstall button.
- Link to authors
- Link to information pages
- Semantic Image Annotator Information about Semantic Image Annotator on AIFB page
- AIFB (KIT): Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods
The idea of the Semantic Image Annotator is based on a previous extension by Felix Obenauer and Basil Ell. For the Semantic Image Annotator is the JS Library annotorious used.