Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is an extension for managing structured data in your wiki and for querying that data to create dynamic representations: tables, timelines, maps, lists, etc. The actual homepage of Semantic MediaWiki, including user documentation in multiple languages, is semantic-mediawiki.org. There are various other pages in the MediaWiki and Wikipedia space related to SMW, but the homepage is the most up-to-date source of information.
There are a large number of "spinoff" extensions that require the presence of Semantic MediaWiki; see the category Semantic MediaWiki extensions for the full list (some of these extensions are obsolete).
Download and Installation
The respective instructions are located on the help page about installing Semantic MediaWiki.
If your wiki has also Cargo or Wikibase installed you need add the following to your "LocalSettings.php" file to have Semantic MediaWiki work:
$smwgEnabledCompatibilityMode = true;
- Wikidata - a project to get similar functionality onto Wikipedia
- Semantic Bundle - a bundle of SMW-related extensions
- Similar extensions
- Wikibase including DataValues + ValueParsers + ValueFormatters + ValueValidators (extensions used by Wikidata project to represent and manipulate with structured data)
- DynamicPageList (can extract data from articles, especially template variables, current version)
- WikiDB (provides database features, somewhat similar to semantic properties)
- Cargo (allows for the storage and querying of data contained within templates)