Release status: beta
|Description||Logs perceived latency measurements from client-side|
|Author(s)||Asher Feldman, Ori Livneh, Patrick Reilly|
|Latest version||0.0.1 (2013-03-16)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
Translate the NavigationTiming extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The NavigationTiming extension allows logging perceived latency measurements, exposed by browsers as part of the proposed W3C Navigation Timing, which "defines an interface for web applications to access timing information related to navigation and elements".
What data is logged?[edit | edit source]
- See the EventLogging schema for NavigationTiming.
- Browsers accounting for about 11% of Wikimedia traffic (as of April 2013) are not supported. See http://caniuse.com/nav-timing.
How is the information used?[edit | edit source]
Engineers at Wikimedia Foundation intend to use this data to assess the impact (positive and negative) of changes to code or server configuration, and thus to help guide ongoing work on site performance.
Sample configuration[edit | edit source]
require_once "$IP/extensions/EventLogging/EventLogging.php"; // required dependency require_once "$IP/extensions/NavigationTiming/NavigationTiming.php"; $wgNavigationTimingSamplingFactor = 10000; // log 1:10,000 requests.
Additional resources[edit | edit source]
- Navigation Timing API, specification from the W3C.
- Annotated Timing object: simplified descriptions of the measurements.
- Measuring Page Load Speed with Navigation Timing, HTML5 Rocks.
- Wikimedia Performance: Data from Navigation Timing, performance.wikimedia.org.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|