Stato della release: stabile
|Descrizione||Allows to render mathematical formulas|
|Cambi della base di dati||Sì|
|Licenza||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Traducete l'estensione Math se è disponibile su translatewiki.net|
|Verificare uso e versione della matrice.|
|Problemi||Compiti aperti · Riportare un bug|
The Math extension provides support for rendering mathematical formulae. An overview of what can currently be done with this extension is found at the English Wikipedia's documentation.
More information about installing and configuring this extension, including for older versions, can be found at Extension:Math/advancedSettings.
The Math extension tries to deliver MathML output, with fallback to SVG or PNG images respectively. Depending on the capabilities of the device you are using, the sort of output is chosen. Basic math support works for all browsers. However, for optimal rendering specific tuning may be needed:
- For Firefox or other Gecko browsers, it is required to install the Native MathML extension and math fonts. Accessibility support is provided by NVDA, VoiceOver or Orca. Additionally, NVDA requires the MathPlayer plugin to read mathematics.
- For Safari or other WebKit browsers, you may also install math fonts and enable native MathML rendering by inserting some CSS rules into the custom style sheet of your browser preference.
- For Chrome you must insert some CSS rules into the custom style sheet of your browser preference in order to get accessibility support via ChromeVox or visual rendering via the MathJax plugin.
- In some versions of Internet Explorer, it is possible to use MathPlayer as an assistive technology.
- If using Vagrant, install with
vagrant roles enable math --provision
- Manual installation
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'Math' ); // See below for installation requirements and configuration settings:
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- To see math beyond a plain text output, follow instructions below for enabling various math output modes.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
You should additionally go to the page Special:MathStatus to see whether all of the components of the Math extension now work. For any problems you see, the best option is to create a task on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org
In addition, there is a Guide for Installing and Setting up Mediawiki with Restbase and Mathoid in MW1.28.
Math output modes
The setting $wgMathValidModes holds an array with the names of output modes that can be used for rendering. If multiple modes are enabled, logged-in users can set a personal preference in the appearance pane of their user preferences page.
You can also use the $wgDefaultUserOptions setting to set which of these modes should be the default, e.g.:
$wgDefaultUserOptions['math'] = 'mathml';
Mode: 'mathml' (pre-July 2015: MW_MATH_MATHML)
For MW 1.23 and higher, you can use a Mathoid server that uses MathJax to convert texvc input on the server side to MathML+SVG rendering. This is the most recommended option; Mathoid is the rendering mode that will be used on Wikipedia in the future.
Mathoid as a service
To use Mathoid as a service, resulting in performance benefits, the following settings are recommended:
// Set MathML as default rendering option $wgDefaultUserOptions['math'] = 'mathml'; $wgMathFullRestbaseURL = 'https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_';
Mathoid's CLI interface
To use Mathoid's CLI interface, which is possibly easier to set up and resulting in less permanent memory consumption, while degrading performance, the following settings are recommended:
// Set MathML as default rendering option $wgDefaultUserOptions['math'] = 'mathml'; // Please create a config.yaml in advance. Templates are in the Mathoid repository. $wgMathoidCli = ['/path/to/mathoid/cli.js', '-c', '/path/to/mathoid/config.yaml']; // Raise MediaWiki's memory limit to 1.2G for mathoid. $wgMaxShellMemory = 1228800;
If you run MediaWiki under system containing SELinux and you get
Mathoid cli '/path/to/mathoid/cli.js' is not executable message from the error log, you can run
setsebool -P httpd_execmem 1 setsebool -P httpd_setrlimit 1
to make sure the Apache server allow to change system limits.
Mode: 'png' (pre-July 2015: MW_MATH_PNG)
This is the mode that requires the most setup work, since at least the texvc utility has to be installed for it to work, and ideally texvccheck as well. See Installing texvc for how to install both of these.
Mode: 'latexml' (pre-July 2015: MW_MATH_LATEXML)
Uses the LaTeXML utility. The rendering is done via an online service (set with $wgLaTeXMLUrl, which has a default value).
Mode: 'source', (pre-July 2015: MW_MATH_SOURCE)
This mode will forward the Latex input without rendering, presenting it in a <span> element, surrounded by $ :formula $.
Make sure to set $wgMathDisableTexFilter to 'always' (see below) if you only want the raw latex formula, else an error will appear due to the failed check for PNG depictions.
List of significant configuration settings
|Setting name||Default value||Descrizione|
||Defines the mode allowed on the server.|
||Option to disable the tex filter. If set to true any LaTeX expression is parsed this can be a potential security risk. If set to false only a subset of the TeX commands is allowed. See the wikipedia page Help:Math for details. Use "always" to disable this feature.|
|$wgMathFullRestbaseURL||false||The math extension gets the default config from the Visual Editor, if available. Details.|
Tips and tricks
- You can use the Firefox MathML copy addon to copy formulae to other applications such as Microsoft Word (video), or Google docs with the g(Math) plugin (video)
- You can override the user preferred and default rendermode by adding the
forcemathmodeattirbute to the <math> element. eg.. to force an image being rendered <math forcemathmode="png">...</math>.
If something is wrong with the math extension you can report that at Phabricator. In addition you should check how your problem relates to the automated unit tests that are generated from the page CoverageTest.
See Extension:Math/advancedSettings for old versions and further information.
- Estensione:SimpleMathJax - an alternative way to provide support for rendering mathematical formulas on-wiki, without texvc or LaTeX
- texvc - description of texvc
- Texvc PHP Alternative
- LaTeX on a shared host
- Another alternative is to use: LaTeX with google chart
- Manual:Enable TeX/problems
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|