Release status: stable
|Description||هڪ خاص صفحو شامل ڪريو ڏسڻ ۽ انٽروڪي ٽيبل کي مينيوپليٽ ڪرڻ لاءِ|
|Author(s)||Stephanie Amanda Stevens, SPQRobin|
|Latest version||3.2 (2019-07-15)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Example||See Extension:Interwiki/Sites using this extension|
|Quarterly downloads||128 (Ranked 68th)|
|Public wikis using||4,929 (Ranked 181st)|
|Translate the Interwiki extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The extension can be retrieved directly from Git [?]:
- Some extensions have tags for stable releases.
- Select the tag
- Click "snapshot"
- Each branch is associated with a past MediaWiki release. There is also a "master" branch containing the latest alpha version (might require an alpha version of MediaWiki).
- Browse branches
- Select a branch name
- Click "Continue"
Extract the snapshot and place it in the extensions/Interwiki/ directory of your MediaWiki installation.
If you are familiar with Git and have shell access to your server, you can also obtain the extension as follows:
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php file:
wfLoadExtension( 'Interwiki' ); // To grant sysops permissions to edit interwiki data $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['interwiki'] = true; // To create a new user group that may edit interwiki data // (bureaucrats can add users to this group) # $wgGroupPermissions['developer']['interwiki'] = true; // delete the comment indicator # as appropriate
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- The configuration that comes with MediaWiki will not grant permission to any user group.
- To enable transclusion from other sites, you'll need to enable
- To disable adding prefixes through the Special:Interwiki interface, set
interwikimessage item defined per locale in
SpecialInterwiki.i18n.php. Its value is انٽروڪي ڊيٽا ڏسو ۽ سنواريو.
To set up interlanguage links using this extension, make sure that
$wgInterwikiMagic is set to
$wgHideInterlanguageLinks is set to
false (they are like this by default, you don't need to change them usually).
$wgInterwikiViewOnly also needs to be set to
false (which it is by default).
Then go to Special:Interwiki as a user with the ability to edit interwikis. That is controlled by the
interwiki permission, and by default, no user group has this permission, so it needs to be added to a user group with, e.g.
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['interwiki'] = true;
Once on Special:Interwiki, you can either click the "Add an interwiki or language prefix" link at the top of the table, or click the "Edit" or "Delete" links in the table row of an existing interwiki prefix.
Choosing to add or edit an interwiki prefix will take you to a separate page with a form with various fields to be filled. The main fields are "name", which is the prefix that would be used for the links, and "URL", where you put the full URL pattern. For example, setting
URL=http://fr.foowiki.tld/wiki/$1 would make
[[foowiki:Blah]] point to http://fr.foowiki.tld/wiki/Blah.
There are also two checkboxes labeled "Forward" and "Transclude". See Manual:Interwiki table for a full explanation of the forward (
iw_local) and transclude (
- Enabling forwarding ('local' true) is normally done between all languages and projects in the same group, as it allows a link to any one of the languages to be used as a gateway to the others. The English-language Wikipedia, for instance, sets the 'local' bit true for all of the other-language Wikipedias and for projects like commons:, wikinews: or wikivoyage:. A user on a wiki outside Wikipedia where the wikipedia: interwiki prefix points to en.wikipedia.org could create a link like wikipedia:fr:Encyclopédie. That link goes initially to "fr:Encyclopédie" on the English-language Wikipedia. The en.wikipedia server immediately recognises fr: as a 'local' interwiki link, so replies with a redirect to la Wikipédia where fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopédie displays the requested French-language Wikipédia page [[Encyclopédie]] et voilà.
- Enabling transclusion is rarely done, as it allows an article on one wiki to use templates from some other wiki. This is referred to as 'scary transclusion' as it will cause problems if the other wiki changes the template unexpectedly. A few wiki farms use this to create one 'central wiki' with various templates which are made available to other wikis in the same farm. If you don't need this, don't enable it.
Since version 3, Interwiki supports defining a global/central database and pulling defined interwikis from there as well as from the local table. This functions essentially as a table merge, with local interwiki definitions overriding central. Language links are not pulled from the central table; these are set up as local-only due to a central table likely serving more than one project (with each having its own languages).
The central table is the interwiki table of the central wiki. This means that as far as the central wiki is concerned, it is basically just a normal non-global setup. There are therefore no special rights associated with the central (global) table, though it is likely you may want to be more picky about how you assign the 'interwiki' edit right on this wiki.
- This was decided by looking at current possible use cases (ShoutWiki's hub, Uncyclomedia's central wiki, and Meta-Wiki) where the central wiki isn't going to have anything extra anyway.
- This might change in the future, but anything more intelligent will require schema updates.
- This probably doesn't work with table prefixes because of how the table is accessed.
To set up a central interwiki table, simply provide the name of the database of the wiki you want to use:
// To enable pulling global interwikis from a central database $wgInterwikiCentralDB = 'mw_central';
Replace 'mw_central' with the name of the database.
For those using table prefixes here is an alternative solution for "pool_example_wiki" tables.
$wgSharedDB = 'example_wiki'; # The $wgDBname for the wiki database holding the main interwiki table $wgSharedPrefix = 'pool_'; # The $wgDBprefix for the database. Defaults to the prefix of the current wiki if not specified $wgSharedTables = ['interwiki'];
You can use protocol-relative URLs (PRURLs), so that users accessing your wiki over either HTTP or HTTPS can uses that same protocol to access interwiki links.
To use a PRURL, first ensure the destination server supports HTTPS; if it does, then simply remove the
https: portion of the URL in the link table.
For example, change
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|This extension is included in the following wiki farms/hosts and/or packages:|