Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
This page lists random wishes and ideas from many years ago.
Hence it is probably historical, definitely outdated.
Potential work planning happens nowadays in an actual task tracking software.
See phab:tag/MediaWiki-extensions-Gadgets or phab:tag/Gadgets-2.0.
Somewhere in there is also room for "gadget options" (which Salvatore started with; see phab:T110014). However I haven't been able to get back at that because other projects have a higher priority right now.
- Centralized localisation (MediaWiki:-namespace,
mw.msg(), RL2: Loading of extra messages for gadgets)
- No more manual editing of gadgets definition, everything should have its GUI to change the underlying JSON definition
- Gadget JS/CSS should still be stored on wiki pages
- ResourceLoader-V2 plans to create a way for client modules to be registered (T29561?), perhaps via Gadgets (hide modules from view, but usable as a dependency), perhaps via Core (mw.loader.register ? )
- Hidden gadgets
- Centralized (global) gadgets repository (on MW.org? Meta-Wiki? on a dedicated wiki?).
- See Requests for comment/Global scripts.
- Projects still may define local gadgets (for example, gadgets related to specific policies/guidelines)
- Customization of gadgets without polluting Special:Preferences
- User-level repositories (replacing core "user scripts" with "user gadgets"). These would not all be promoted directly on Special:Preferences, but instead the gadget preferences page would include gadgets of repos you have trusted. By default that would be the local wiki, a global one (if we get one), and your own user. You could "add" other users or wikis in some way (eg. by adding a JSON url?)
- Present gadget preferences as a browsable offering instead of a flat-list with checkboxes.
Sites may want to enable a global gadget for everyone by default-> T15742 / rev:85902 Create ResourceLoader modules on-wiki to be shared between gadgets. Just like gadgets that have their modules, but are not available for people to select explicitly.
- User:Salvatore Ingala/Notes
- User:Salvatore Ingala/RL2 integration
- User:Krinkle/Gadgets 3.0
- User:Legoktm/Gadgets 2.0 Audit
- Talk:Requests for comment/Redesign user preferences#Gadgets (suggested wireframe and notes)
- m:Gadgets (April 2014 last update)
- en:Wikipedia:Database reports/User preferences#Gadgets (June 2014 last update)
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T21288#240675 (request for detailed numbers)