Somewhere in there is also room for "gadget options" (which Salvatore started with; see phab:T110014). However I haven't been able to get back at that because other projects have a higher priority right now.
- Centralized localisation (MediaWiki:-namespace,
mw.msg(), RL2: Loading of extra messages for gadgets)
- No more manual editing of gadgets definition, everything should have its GUI to change the underlying JSON definition
- Gadget JS/CSS should still be stored on wiki pages
- ResourceLoader-V2 plans to create a way for client modules to be registered (T29561?), perhaps via Gadgets (hide modules from view, but usable as a dependency), perhaps via Core (mw.loader.register ? )
- Hidden gadgets
- Centralized (global) gadgets repository (on MW.org ? Meta-Wiki? on a dedicated wiki?). See Requests for comment/Global scripts.
- Customization of gadgets without polluting Special:Preferences
- Projects still may define local gadgets (for example, gadgets related to specific policies/guidelines)
- User level repositories (replacing core "user scripts" with "user gadgets"), instead of using Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets, allowing users without sysop rights to create their own gadgets (visible only to them)
- Instead of scaring people with a huge list, provide a selection UI with category-based browsing
- Full-text search on repositories (T25359)
Sites may want to enable a global gadget for everyone by default-> T15742 / rev:85902
Create ResourceLoader modules on-wiki to be shared between gadgets. Just like gadgets that have their modules, but are not available for people to select explicitly.
- Gadget Studio
- User:Salvatore Ingala/Notes
- User:Salvatore Ingala/RL2 integration
- User:Krinkle/Gadgets 3.0
- User:Legoktm/Gadgets 2.0 Audit
- Talk:Requests for comment/Redesign user preferences#Gadgets (suggested wireframe and notes)
- m:Gadgets (April 2014 last update)
- en:Wikipedia:Database reports/User preferences#Gadgets (June 2014 last update)
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T21288#240675 (request for detailed numbers)