Jump to navigation Jump to search
On 2014-12-05, we tried disabling ConfirmEdit altogether on MediaWiki.org: no captcha at all for account registration, edits adding URLs etc.
- Some users more were registered.
- There might have been some more userpage spam than usual , sometimes by unregistered accounts.
- We're mostly slowing down generic spambots which don't target MediaWiki (they don't even try to login or use valid wikitext)     
- Special:AbuseFilter/24 tweaked, to disallow and block
- Some simple linkspam, of a kind which regularly gets through, might have become faster 
- Unclear yet about user registration
- Effects may be worse on wikis with less sophisticated abuse filters. Disabling captchas on MediaWiki.org can be useful to determine what rules should be moved to global abuse filters.