|IMPORTANT: The content of this page is outdated. If you have checked or updated this page and found the content to be suitable, please remove this notice.|
Release status: stable
|Description||Provides syntax highlighting in wikitext editor|
|Author(s)||Pavel Astakhov (pastakhovtalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the CodeMirror extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The CodeMirror extension provides syntax highlighting in MediaWiki's wikitext editor. It adds the button with icon to toolbar that allows switch on/off syntax highlighting. It supports the 2010 WikiEditor toolbar as well as the VisualEditor toolbar.
By default it is switched off. When switching on, it will replace the standard textarea with the editor provided by CodeMirror library. When switching off, it will be the opposite effect.
All browsers supported by MediaWiki are supported. Modern mobile browsers tend to partly work.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'CodeMirror' );
- Configure as required.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension() If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.24 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'CodeMirror' );, you need to use:
# Enables use of CodeMirror by default but still allow users to disable it $wgDefaultUserOptions['usecodemirror'] = 1;
Add the above code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php.
For color and style customization, see meta:Community Tech/Wikitext editor syntax highlighting#Color and style customization.
If your MediaWiki extension adds a new tag and you want to make sure CodeMirror properly highlights the content within it, you can add CodeMirror support to your extension. Here are two examples: Cite extension and PhpTags extension.
- highlighting definition lists ( ;foo :bar ) (phab:T170042)
- auto-completion (phab:T95100)
- brace matching (phab:T15302)
- code folding T166098
- highlighting inside gallery tag (<gallery> foo | bar </gallery>)
- User:Remember the dot/Syntax highlighter
- Community Tech/Wikitext editor syntax highlighting (includes information on customizing the colors)
- c:Category:MediaWiki extension CodeMirror
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|