Release status: stable
|Implementation||Parser extension, User interface|
|Description||Allows the articles to be highlighted.|
|Author(s)||Apekshit Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org) (apeksharmatalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License|
You can see the demo here
Translate the Article Highlight extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix.|
Firstly, please post your suggestions on the 'discussion' and help me improve it. I strongly feel that it can be very useful to people using wikipedia. If you also think that this functionality can be useful in wikipedia ( or in other scenarios), then also, post it (whatever you feel) . It will make me feel good that atleast my effort was worthwhile. :)
What can this extension do?
It is a common practice to highlight stuff when we read. It increases productivity and is very helpful for future references. This extension allows exactly that. An editor can easily highlight the article (with help of WikiEditor). The extension provides various categories in which the contents can be highlighted. The categories are as follows:
- Basic, Moderate and Advanced: These have been defined keeping in mind the technical articles. Instead of reading whole articles to find the "right" stuff for yourself, reader can use these highlight categories as per his level of understanding and requirement. The idea actually originated from this. I myself use wikipedia a lot to get the basic knowledge about lot of stuffs and advanced of some (:D) . And to find basic stuff from such a huge article is really impossible without reading it whole( x-( ). Also sometimes , when i came across interesting stuff in wikipedia, i felt like underlining or highlighting it. So the outcome is: this extension. :)
- Humorous: As the name suggests, this is for highlighting humorous stuff in articles.
- Interesting, Important
- Unsafe: This highlighter is not actually "highlighter". This can be used to mark the unsafe(adult)contents in an article. The reader can either "highlight" it which actually renders it unreadable, or hide it, which removes that content from the article.
If this extension proves out to be useful, then further additions which are in my mind are :
- Editor of the article can add new categories.Right now there are only some categories like basic, advanced, important, etc, but in many articles there might be need of other highlight categories.So, editor can add a new category and give it a desired name.
- User can set their color preferences ( if they don't like default :D ) for the categories, in their 'preferences'.
- I18n extension.
WikiEditor provides with a drop-down in "Advanced" toolbar. Usage is similar to "bold", "italics", "heading", etc.
Download the extension from here.
Please place the contents of this rar in folder
To install this extension, add the following to LocalSettings.php:
require_once( "$IP/extensions/articleHighlight/articleHighlight.php" );
Run the script
Currently in use by
If you find this extension useful and will be using it in your wiki, please make an addition to the below list.
|Language:||English • русский|