Discovery/Status updates/2019-03-25

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This is the weekly update for the week starting 2019-03-25

Discussions[edit]

Search[edit]

  • ElasticSearch upgrade to v6:
  • Trey finished a deep dive [1] into the performance of language identification for cross-wiki searching (example [2]) and punctuation-related problems, and discovered things are working pretty well overall, but the Chinese language model is a bit off.
  • Erik noticed that the inlabel / incaption keywords should highlight the label/caption but were not [3]
  • David worked on fixing an error code that Elasticsearch 6 nested_path and nested_filter are deprecated [4] and _retry_on_conflict was deprecated [5]
  • We worked on migrating mjolnir to stdout/syslog/cee logging output [6]
  • The team worked on upgrade to elasticsearch 6.5.4 for cirrus / codfw (specifically) [7] and for eqiad [8]
  • Erik worked on the implementation and testing of glent m0 integration with wmf infrastructure [9]
  • David did a lot of work to update the mw-config to use the psi&omega elastic clusters [10]
  • David found that the auto_generate_phrase_queries is deprecated and ineffective [11]
  • The team fixed an old bug where we were getting fatal errors - "cannot perform this operation with arrays" from CirrusSearch/ElasticaWrite (using JobQueueDB) [12]
  • Gehel worked to make spicerack more robust when unfreezing writes to elasticsearch / cirrus [13] as well as creating a cookbook to reset frozen write state on elasticsearch / cirrus [14]
  • Stas moved WikibaseLexeme search code to WikibaseLexemeCirrusSearch extension [15]
  • We noticed that Elasticsearch indices went read-only, causing a huge lag [16]
  • We also saw where search exceptions handling was printing response information on the screen [17]
  • The team fixed an issue where mwgrep was not working [18]
  • We also fixed an issue where Elasticsearch 6 needed to silence deprecation warnings to avoid logspam [19]
  • We needed to create an extra elasticsearch clusters in the beta cluster [20]
  • We also needed some alerts so we know if mjolnir starts misbehaving [21]
  • We also converted check_elasticsearch.py icinga plugin to py3 [22]
  • We needed to start using local nginx reverse proxy for connections reuse [23]
  • The version of curator that we currently use (5.2.0) isn't compatible with elasticsearch 6. Which causes issues in a few cron on logtash servers (see blelow). Version 5.6.0 supports both elasticsearch 5 and 6.....so...we updated it [24]
  • We also did some cleanup of the reprepro configuration for elasticsearch-curator [25]
  • Getting a centralized way to inspect the content of the search profiles might be helpful when investigating search behaviors. In the same vein as other dump debug APIs (mapping/settings/cirrusdoc) David suggested that we should add a new simple API to dump the profiles (cirrus-profiles-dump) [26]
  • David also found that a call to a member function toArray() on a non-object (null) in vendor/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Client.php:736 and fixed it [27]

--