This is the weekly update for the week starting 2016-06-20
- Trey took a quick look at detecting when users on English and Russian Wikipedias were using the wrong keyboard. It looks like more than 1% of Russian Wikipedia queries may be in Russian but typed on the English keyboard!
- We're still discussing how to handle query-final question marks. Comments and suggestions welcome on the Phab ticket.
Events and News
- Testing software upgrade for logstash.wikimedia.org at kibana4.wmflabs.org
- Installed 16 new servers in our elasticsearch cluster to replace the older ones
- Katie, Deb and Jan are in Esino Lario for Wikimania 2016 along with many other WMF members and about 1,000 of our closest friends all sharing in the sun, fun and humidity.
- The Hackathon was well attended: about 160 people all collaborating together for two days; there will be a showcase of some of the efforts tomorrow night.
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday are all about the main program and it's gonna be grand!
- Best highlight so far (to be fair, it's only end of day Friday as I'm writing this): Simone Cortesi talking about OSM and some of the great work that the Discovery Interactive team has done to get maps into the wiki projects, specifically Wikivoyage.
- <mapframe/maplink> no longer need zoom and location - it can figure out the location on its own if missing, based on the geojson data.
- Most of the geoshapes backend code is now in place, and should be available soon - it will allow both graphs and maps to get "geoshapes" - location outlines (e.g. state of New York, or a park, or the whole country - as a geometry, based on Wikidata ID.