Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Search Roundtable
- Our timeslot competed with a NASA talk and something else popular
- Low attendance, but Damon was there. Good conversation.
- At the hackathon in general
- Talked more about WDQS, maps
- Talked with Lydia about WD generally, as well as WDQS
- Greg had insights
- People were curious about the "Discovery" part
- Good first run as a team to talk collectively.
- Met w/people like Nemo, talked about front page redesign
- Lots of notes. Nemo met Wes.
- Jon Katz was running user research sessions
- One user said he never searches in wp--didn't know that feature even existed
- Attended a design session
- We made our presence felt
- Met with several college students
- Distributed James's API docs
- Wes added cool map ideas to Dan's document
- David was also there. Nice to meet and interact with him.
- Graph Extension presentation went very well; lots of feedback
- German wiki now has created good templates that were ported to other langs
- Someone wanted to create maps with graph ext for wikivoyage
- Worked with pywikibot community on minimalistic API specification
- Lots of maps conversations
- Worked with 2 people who came to hackathon specifically to work on brining maps to Wikipedia
- Started putting together list of all suggestions on mw.o discovery maps page
- Hackathon closing ceremony (2 min per person) was excellent. Informative.
- Spent most of time with David, learning elastic search internals
- Spent most of time learning from Erik
- Met Wes, Dan, Yuri and Giuseppe. Very nice to meet everyone.
Wikimania (Mexico City)
- We have a session scheduled
- This Monday's presentation is prep for that one
- We should have a better presentation ready for wikimania than we did for the hackathon
- Wikimania is bigger
- Venues have a bit impact on how the events turn out
- We should be extra vigilant about what we will do, who will be there (on wikimania wiki)
- "50 shades of wiki" presentation (about reusing content)
- Over next couple weeks, identify stuff we can demo
- Planning to attend education-related talks; how to use students in testing
- Whoever of us is in Mexico City should at least have a dinner together
- Wikimania is exhausting, but worth it
- Maybe try to engage with outsiders more than people you normally work with (e.g. wmde)
- Last year heard lots of good ideas, several of which were implemented that afternoon
- People went away happy
- When you get active editors in a room, they will ask questions (some random)
- Make it clear what your role/interests are, and people will come to you
- This is an opportunity to do more together as a team