Design Systems Team
Our mission is to develop an overarching strategy for front-end design and engineering across Wikimedia. This includes building and maintaining a design system that provides tools and guidelines for building user interfaces in an efficient, scalable, and equitable way. This work supports audiences that are critical to developing new knowledge experiences by ensuring that they are successful in creating, maintaining, and extending front-end features across Wikimedia with consistency and ease.
To provide a comprehensive, reusable, extensible way to design and build front ends on Wikimedia platforms, by following a universal Design Style Guide and a shared development kit that codifies the visual and experience principles and guidelines in a library of user-interface (UI) components.
Current Work Streams
Codex, design system for Wikimedia and user-interface library
The Codex design system for Wikimedia is the place where all of the components and patterns that designers use to create products are systematically organized, in such a way that they are easy to find, modify and create new parts. The design system is grounded in a set of principles and guidelines designed with for consistency, efficiency, web accessibility and internationalization by default.
Wikimedia's medium-term Platform Evolution plan set out to prioritize modern engineering practices, performance, and ease-of-use for contributors of varying experience levels. As a result, the Design Systems Team organized the Vue.js Developer Summit 2021 which led to the decision to adopt Vue.js as the official programming framework for MediaWiki.
Senior Platform Product Manager
Principal Software Engineer
Senior Engineering Manager
Staff Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
User Experience & Product Designer (WMDE)
Bárbara Martínez Calvo
Senior User Experience Designer
Lead User Experience Engineer
- Request help from the Design Systems Team - Includes Phabricator task template.
- Current Status - High-level overview of Design Systems Team work streams.
- Planned Components - A list of components we have planned to take on in time.
- FAQs - Frequently asked questions.
- Design System Governance Model - Design/development flowchart for new Codex components and additions.
- History of user-interface libraries and frameworks in MediaWiki - How we arrived here.
- Resources - Our "Rolodex" of helpful resources about the Wikimedia Design System, the Design Systems Team, Codex, and front-end technology.
You can volunteer and help us!