Core Platform Team/Initiative/API Gateway/Initiative Description
This project will curate a selection of APIs and present them in a favoured service to make it easier for client developers to work with our systems.
- Significance and Motivation
We have many different API endpoint and modes of access. We'd like to establish a best practice, recommended API framework that works as we want APIs to work in the future.
The outcome of this project will be a single virtual API service that developers can use for all their Wikipedia project needs.
- Baseline Metrics
- many APIs
- different calling paradigms (RPC, REST, query, ...)
- document-oriented datatypes
- User-Agent for client IDs
- Sessions for user IDs
- Target Metrics
- Increased OAuth 2.0 key registration by X%
- Reduced 503 errors (service not available) by X%
- More evenly distributed API traffic
- Developer Advocacy
- Product Infrastructure
- Known Dependencies/Blockers
- Epic 1 of the Core REST API, to have a basic document-level REST API available for all projects
- OAuth 2.0 with client IDs (API keys)
- availability of api.wiki[mp]edia.org
- developer portal