Community metrics/October 2012
First monthly Metrics report of the Wikimedia technical community. Work in progress. Feedback welcome!
Code[edit | edit source]
The Wikimedia community includes about 464 code contributors active in the past 12 months. A total of 746 developers have contributed code to Wikimedia projects since the first MediaWiki commit in April 2003. The total sum appears to be more than 5,4M lines of code.
All projects are showing a steady growth year-over-year! More: See https://www.ohloh.net/orgs/wikimedia
MediaWiki[edit | edit source]
MediaWiki is the largest project by far, with more than 900k lines of code written by a total of 328 contributors, from which 140 have been active in the past 12 months.
- 660 commits, keeping the trend of the past months.
- Code contributions came from 51 sources, matching September's all-time high.
- 2 new contributors: ankur and Jakub Vrana.
- 6927 commits, down -440 (5%) from previous 12 months. The decrease probably is due to the different approach to commits on SVN (past) vs Git (now). Nothing to worry about, apparently.
- 139 contributors, up +64 (85%) from previous 12 months. WMF hires and Git adoption might seem to be the main causes of this great increase. Some cases of multiple email addresses for one contributors are also suspected / expected. Still, it's a clear YoY increase.
Supported extensions[edit | edit source]
Aggregated data from 125 MediaWiki extensions used and supported by the Wikimedia Foundation. More than 1,2M LOC written by 270 contributors.
- 2298 commits, keeping the average of the past months.
- 76 contributors, an all-time high.
- 6 new contributors: jdforrester, nishayn22, moremegil, Spage, Lockal, schmir.
- 25757 commits Up +12258 (90%) from previous 12 months.
- 180 contributors Up +92 (104%) from previous 12 months.
A lot of fresh code!
Other hosted extensions[edit | edit source]
Aggregated data from additional 296 extensions hosted at gerrit.wikimedia.org. More than 1,1M LOC (and growing fast) written by 306 contributors.
- 2272 commits, keeping the trend since May.
- 89 contributors, an all-time high (was 77 in July).
- 12 new contributors: S Page, Anja Jentzsch, CSteipp, Tpt, Munaf Assaf, luft-on, dev.mtyeh411, Burthsceh, Noël Weidenhammer, tisane, Nischayn22.
- 20467 commits, up +10931 (114%) from previous 12 months
- 227 contributors, up +143 (170%) from previous 12 months
A lot of fresh code!
Top 10 projects[edit | edit source]
Summary of activity over the last 30 days of the 10 projects with most commits over the past 12 months.
- Wikimedia Puppet: 459 Commits by 26 Contributors, including 1 new: Adminxor. Stable.
- MediaWiki: see above.
- Wikibase: 471 Commits by 18 Contributors, including 1 new: Anja Jentzsch. Stable.
- mwEmbed: 210 Commits by 6 Contributors. Stable.
- Parsoid: 259 Commits by 5 Contributors. Stable.
- Visual Editor: 166 Commits by 8 Contributors, including 1 new: jdforrester. Stable.
- Wiktionary Mobile: 5 Commits by 1 Contributor. Almost idle.
- Wikipedia Mobile: 76 Commits by 4 Contributors, including 1 new: Tpt. Stable.
- Education Program: 47 Commits by 6 Contributors, including 1 new: Kaldari. Stable.
- WLM Mobile: 5 Commits by 1 Contributor. Almost idle.
About[edit | edit source]
DISCLAIMER: Ohloh is still polishing the refresh rate, and we might have missed relevant repos. But you probably don't need to send a rocket to Saturn with this data anyway.