These are good first steps:
- Register and add some info about yourself in your user page.
- Follow the News and our social media channels.
- Subscribe to wikitech-announce to receive email notifications about new activities.
- Join more. IRC channel and perhaps
- Make sure you have an email confirmed and email notifications enabled in your mediawiki.org preferences.
- "Watch" (click the star icon of) the pages you want to follow and perhaps contribute to.
- All the better if you find a MediaWiki Group that matches your location or interests!
- Please read the FAQ before asking.
- State your problem immediately and wait for a response. Don't ask "is there anyone here" or "can someone help me". This is normal IRC etiquette and allows participants to multitask effectively.
- Expect to wait for some time for an initial response, especially in off-peak times. Despite this, out of courtesy for the volunteer who is helping you, try to answer their questions promptly.
If you don't get an answer, this could mean one of a number of things:
- Nobody was around at the time of day you chose. If the channel is generally quiet, come back later.
- You're asking a question which nobody knows the answer to, or which requires a lot of work to answer.
- You're asking a question which is in the FAQ, the help, the manual, or other documentation, and the volunteers in the channel feel it would be best if you found it yourself.
Questions relating to problems with your particular installation of MediaWiki are generally best answered on IRC, since they often require a back-and-forth exchange to isolate the problem, which is tedious when performed on the mailing lists.
There are several mailing lists available. The recommended ones are:
- mediawiki-l (或者經Gmane) (或者經你嘅新聞組閱讀器) 係一個高流量問嘢嘅郵件名單。
- wikitech-l (或者經Gmane) (或者經你嘅新聞組閱讀器) 係一個高流量開發統籌嘅郵件名單。
- mediawiki-announce (或者經Gmane) (或者經你嘅新聞組閱讀器) 係一個低流量嘅新MediaWiki發行版同埋保安更新嘅郵件名單 (另外響 mediawiki-l 都會收到呢度嘅訊息)。
Follow the MediaWiki accounts:
More details at Social media.
- Wikimedia's Meta-Wiki was formerly where documents were managed and proposals were discussed before this site was started. There is still a lot of content there that has yet to be moved.
- Phabricator is where feature requests and bugs may be reported or browsed.
- Project:Current issues討論一啲成個網站基本所關注到嘅，同埋討論有關政策嘅問題。