The autoblock will duplicate most of the block settings, including if the block is sitewide or partial, but does not include the original duration, blocking email, and hardblock.
- 回顾为列表Special:BlockList，搜索用户的帐户名称。 这是一个区分大小写的搜索。
- 确定关联的编号 #xxxxx。 如果搜索这个编号，请确保包含 "#" 号
- 点击 "解除封禁" 链接解除对 #xxxxx 的封禁
有时“自动封禁已禁用”一词将出现在封锁消息中。 这意味着当一个用户被封禁时，只有他们的用户名被封禁，但其他使用相同 IP 地址的用户依然可以自由地编辑。
当自动封禁发生时，用户可能因为使用相同互联网服务提供商的另一个用户的行为而被封禁。 因此，不同的用户可能最终会被封锁，即使他们个人没有做错任何事情。 这被称为「附带损害」。 例子：
- 用户:Susan，管理员，封禁用户:Bort为24小时 Susan并不知道，Bort使用AOL编辑维基，并且实施封禁的时候自动封禁是开启的。
- Steven receives a "You have been blocked" message when he clicks "Edit", doesn't understand what an autoblock is, and angrily demands to know why admin Susan has blocked him.
- Steven tries to edit from his work computer (which does not use AOL). He learns that autoblocks only propagate from usernames to IP addresses, and decides to resume normal editing there.
用户需要理解，管理员并不设置自动封禁，这很重要；一旦他们在自动封禁选项开启的情况下封禁了一位用户，自动封禁都是由 MediaWiki 软件设置的。 自动封禁不会出现在管理员的封禁日志里，并且管理员也不会收到它们的通知。 这是保护已登录用户的 IP 地址私有的必要措施。 所以，虽然每次编辑的 IP 地址都会被 MediaWiki 软件记录下来，但即使是管理员、即使在用户已经被封禁的情况下，也无法访问到这一信息。
当cookie设置，和用户尝试编辑一个页面，页面将加载在cookie指定原封禁和防止用户制作编辑。 This does not, however, create a new autoblock for the new IP address. That only happens if the user logs into the original blocked account.
This form of tracking is dependent on the user's browser retaining the cookie, and so will not work for all blocked users in all situations. The feature is intended to provide a small extra level of protection against blocks being circumvented.
When a block is issued, autoblocking is usually turned on by default, except for common dynamic IP ranges, such as those used by AOL.
A list of such automatically exempt IP ranges can be set in MediaWiki:Autoblock whitelist.
Lines starting with
* indicate whitelisted addresses, with the text after being an IP range (leading and trailing whitespace is ignored).
All other lines are ignored and may be used as comments.
An example of such a page is Wikipedia's MediaWiki:Autoblock whitelist.
Administrators can disable autoblocking at the time of blocking a user, by unchecking the checkbox. Once an "enabled" block is placed, it can also be fixed by modifying the user's block, but this should not be done unless absolutely necessary.
There is an internal autoblock expiry time variable,
$wgAutoblockExpiry, which is set to 24 hours, meaning that autoblocks only last for 24 hours.
However, in the case of dynamic IP address pools (such as those used by AOL), this may affect hundreds of users before the block expires.
So in the case of an indefinite block, autoblocks may continue to be set by the software, weeks or months after the initial block has been set.
Older indefinite blocks, dating from before the autoblock exemption whitelist and the option to disable when blocking, may also trigger autoblocks.
Manually lifting the original account block automatically lifts every auto block that was created as a consequence of that block. (If the original block merely expires automatically, any dependent autoblocks are not immediately lifted.)
When IP addresses are autoblocked, they appear in Special:Ipblocklist (but not in the admin's block log) with a special mask that prevents the IP address from being seen. Instead, the block is identified by the block ID and is labeled "Autoblock #xxxxxx" in the BlockList. Autoblocks register on Special:Ipblocklist, Special:AutoblockList and in the banner available to the blocked user, with the name of the admin that set the original block. However, the admin is not notified that an autoblock has been placed. Diligent administrators who lift a block early may wish to check the blocklist in order to check for any autoblocks that need to be cleared.
- It is helpful for all involved, especially AOL users, who are often chronically autoblocked by collateral damage, to remain patient and remember that it is the software that is responsible for the autoblock, not the administrator who is unfortunate enough to have their name appear on the block log.
- If more than two IP addresses are autoblocked within seconds/minutes of each other, it is a good indication that it is a dynamic IP address pool and the blocks are collateral damage.