Annoying little bugs/da
This page provides a list of little software bugs and small missing features in several Wikimedia projects (not only MediaWiki core and its extensions). The tasks in the lists should be relatively easy to fix for a new developer.
This is one way to start getting familiar with the code in Wikimedia projects.
Note that the tasks linked below do not have assigned mentors. You will be mostly "on your own". We recommend to work on software projects with mentors: Check out the list of software projects that we recommend.
No matter which software project you work on, you must have read the "Suggested reading" section to understand workflow and communication expectations.
If you decide to work on MediaWiki core or MediaWiki extensions, you must have read How to become a MediaWiki hacker to understand the infrastructure and workflow.
- 1 Potential tasks to work on
- 1.1 MediaWiki core and extensions
- 1.2 Wikidata
- 1.3 Multimedia
- 1.4 VisualEditor
- 1.5 Discovery / Search
- 1.6 Skins
- 1.7 Collaboration
- 1.8 MediaWiki core
- 1.9 Semantic MediaWiki
- 1.10 Standalone projects
- 1.11 Pywikibot
- 1.12 Mobile Apps
- 1.13 Huggle
- 1.14 Analytics
- 1.15 Cross-project areas
- 1.16 Documentation
- 1.17 Design
- 1.18 Strings
- 1.19 Og mange flere...
- 2 See also
Potential tasks to work on
The following sections describe a few example areas in which you can contribute, but you are not limited to these areas!
If the software project uses Wikimedia Phabricator, the upper right corner of a task shows the project that the problem is located in.
This provides you a hint about the Git repository that the code is located in, and about the development team which you could contact if you want to discuss it in a "broader" way (as comments in bug reports should preferably refer to the specific problem described in the report only).
MediaWiki core and extensions
- New Developers — Wikimedia software projects which offer mentors. Recommended for new contributors.
- I've mm — For hacking on MediaWiki core or MediaWiki extensions.
- Hvordan kan jeg bidrage? — Learn about more ways how you can contribute to MediaWiki and the free culture community (e.g. translation, documentation, …)
- Triage tasks in Phabricator — If you want to get an idea of issues in the software and help developers to save some time