Outreach programs/Recommended steps for participants
Application process steps
If you are considering to apply, follow the steps in the order in which they are listed:
- Understand Wikimedia's technical areas There are a lot of technical areas in which you can contribute (e.g. Gadgets, Extensions, Skins, Bots, etc). Knowledge of these areas will help you a lot in choosing a project.
- Express your interest in working on a project by commenting on the corresponding task on Phabricator. Ask intelligent and explicit questions ("Could you tell me more about this?" is a bad example), do your research thoroughly, don't expect spoon-feeding.
- Communicate with project mentors Discuss with them your ideas for implementation and learn about their availability and willingness to mentor.
- Learn basic skills required for development If you are planning on contributing to a project that involves MediaWiki codebase, learn how to start hacking here. The Hands-on suggestions section on the same page includes information about how to get involved in other projects.
- Fix small bugs Ask mentors to point you to some bugs. You could also fix smaller bugs in that project (but note that mentors might not be available). This help candidates understand the skills required for a project and mentors whether the candidate has these skills.
- Read a few good proposals that were accepted for the previous round. Here they are: example 1, example 2, example 3.
- Submit your proposal on Wikimedia's Phabricator using the pre-populated application template here.
- Discuss your own project idea with a possible mentor If you couldn't find anything interesting in our project ideas, you could reach out to a possible mentor here.
If you get accepted, here is what we will encourage you to do to have a successful project:
- Write weekly reports
- Stay up-to-date with your goals as outlined in the timeline
- Communicate regularly with mentors and keep them updated about your progress and challenges
- Submit evaluations on time
- Attend any program-related meetings we host
- Follow any guidelines we share to involve you in our community and process.
- Join the wikitech-l mailing list to receive Wikimedia technical news, including program updates. You can select the digest mode and read just the summary, or take part in discussions already.
- Some MediaWiki updates are also on the Wikimedia Foundation technology blog, Twitter and Facebook.
- Ask us almost anything on the Freenode IRC channel .