Amsterdam Hackathon 2013/Topics
This page is to gather possible topics for the Amsterdam Hackathon 2013. The hackathon is a open-structured. If there's something you intend to work on, please add to the list or chime in your support on a particular topic. Based on the suggested topics we can all decide what to work on and define goals for the Hackathon.
- MediaWiki - Of course
- ContentHandler -- new in MW 1.21
- MediaWiki API
- Lua/Scribunto scripting
- complete/extend pr0n : a module to convert Indo-Arabic numerals to locale prononciations strings.
- A security training
- Writing "acceptance test" criteria for use in automated QA
- Implementing the tests
- Editor Engagement tools like Echo, Flow
- Skinning system / Vector cleanup & migration to core / Outdated documentation
- Designs for mobile versions of existing projects.
- Usability testing for Wikimedia projects.
- Contribute components to Agora
- Structured data push support for recent changes
- Mobile web performance
- Gnome desktop integration of the mediwiki environement
- desktop integrated login service
- wiktionary and gnome-dictionary
- wikimedia projects and the gnome-shell search bar
- WMF platform/ops joint tasks e.g.: Bug 40025 - unfortunately needs specific permissions
- Translate extension
- I18n: How to make interface messages dependent on wiki configuration or user-created content translatable via Translate extension. (??)
- Auto-generation of image credits; seeen:Wikipedia talk:Manual of Style/Captions #RfC: Requiring photo credits in footnotes for copyrighted images
- Developping a Getting Things Done task mananger within mediawiki?
- Integration with MediaWiki, skins
- Integration with non-MediaWiki platforms
- Visual template editing for fun and profit
- Writing plugins for new features
- Non-Wikipedia needs from VisualEditor
- HTML storage
- DOM-based templating with support for visual editing
- Fragment caching
- Data models for extension content
- Toolserver and tool labs: Ongoing hacking corner for people interesting in migrating tools to Labs, accompanied by hands-on help and on-the-fly improvements to the documentation
- Integrate dictionaries for translation tools, Wikisource
- Wiktionary tools
- Advanced word search (such as these).
- w:WP:ACC/w:WP:UTRS migration to labs, code cleanup, restructure core code, etc.
- MediaWiki promotion
- WMF devs vs. communities
- IRC bots in developer channels (we've wanted to move "spamming" bots out of #mediawiki for a long time, maybe it's finally a time to sit down together and sort this out) / eventually discuss some improvements regarding IRC
- Documentation structure
- Some kind of Wiki Loves Monuments sprint that includes photo upload from mobile devices
- Wiki Loves Public Art tooling
- Wiki Loves Monuments tooling
- GLAMwiki toolset project
- QRpedia: where now? (I can lead this discussion - Pigsonthewing (talk))
- production tile server
- OSM tools in labs / toolserver
- OSM gadgets
- Wikimaps I can present Susannaanas (talk) 21:14, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- Discussion: How we can connect OSM with Wikidata?
- other OSM hacking
- future of the extension math
- math for mobile devices
- making math accessible (for disabled persons)
- Architectural principles document - guidance on use of design patterns, code structure, object hierarchy depth, refactoring best practices, etc.
- Consider extension for Incubator: SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin
- Hack VisualEditor for SignWriting viewer / editor
- Add American Sign Language user interface from TranslateWiki to Labs or Incubator
- Rebuild server for the ASL Wikipedia Project on Labs
- Font hacking with FontForge and TrueType
- Cosyne: Multilingual Content Synchronization with Wikis
- mediawikixml2meteor2phonegap, tool to turn an MW XML dump into a meteor.com app and consequently a phonegap app that can be used while offline, which is great for hitchwiki (link to Google Play)
- making a tool to make epub containing a dump of all current featured articles of a wikipedia chapter
- CatGraph or: how to search the Wikipedia category structure recursively, fast
- It would be really cool if someone could give a small guided tour / walk around Amsterdam!