Wikibase is the software that runs Wikidata, but is also usable for other projects beyond that. Wikibase allows the collaborative editing of structured data on top of MediaWiki. It is optimized for graph-like, schema-poor data, not for tabular and strongly pre-structured data. If you want to give it a try, let us know - we would be curious and probably can help. Wikibase is an open source project, and everyone is welcome to join in development.
Features[edit | edit source]
Wikibase is an extension to MediaWiki, and relies on MediaWiki's features to provide all the functionalities of a wiki - but for structured data.
- full histories of all previous versions of the knowledge base, including by whom the change was made
- a web-based interface with a number of features for wiki gardening, user security and identity, etc.
- a platform known to be scalable for millions of readers and tens of thousands of editors
- world-class internationalization and localization into more than 200 languages
On top of that, Wikibase adds:
- functionality to create and manage a knowledge base, including user-defined properties
- mechanisms to access the knowledge base from other wikis and to update them on changes
- a data model that takes knowledge diversity and multi-lingual usage serious
- exports of the data in a number of formats like JSON, RDF/XML, N3, and YAML
Installation[edit | edit source]
The easiest way to install Wikibase is to take a newly setup MediaWiki installation, and use Composer to install the Wikibase Repo ("wikibase/wikibase") and all its dependencies into the extensions folder of your MediaWiki install.
In order to do that, put a composer.json file with the following content in the root directory of your MediaWiki installation:
If you plan to contribute to Wikibase, add --prefer-source to the composer command line.
Development[edit | edit source]
Similar projects[edit | edit source]
There are numerous other projects to support the collaborative editing of structured data.
- Semantic MediaWiki: widely used family of MediaWiki extensions for enabling to managed structured data in a wiki together with its text.
- Freebase: Google's project of an open knowledge graph.
Todo on this page[edit | edit source]
- Getting started for people to set up the page, for users of Wikibase, and for developers to start developing and contributing
- Contacts to the current community (IRC, mailing list, etc)
- Tracking pages for code changes, bugs, for activity in general
- News around the project
- check out the SMW website and see what to steal from there
- Do not duplicate, but point and aggregate
- Change README, INSTALL, etc. to markdown, and link to them on github from here directly as the installation
- blockers for first release: (0.5?) ??? anything WIkimedia- or Wikidata-specific, release of the components (set up bugs for this and mark them as blockers for release)
- blockers for 1.0: order, ranking, numbers, UI rewrite (set up bugs for this and mark them as blockers for release)