Although the grant-funded Multimedia usability project ended in December 2010, work on the wizard was continued; Neil Kandalgaonkar added new features and fixed bugs, aided by Ryan Kaldari and now Ian Baker.
Throughout June and July of 2012, Mark Holmquist continued work on the wizard, fixing bugs that had been outstanding for months or years.
In preparation for WikiLovesMonuments 2012, some bugs in UploadWizard were worked on during two weeks in August by Ryan Kaldari and Mark Holmquist. The goal is to fix some longstanding bugs in UploadWizard as well as possibly integrate the drecodeam's GSoC work.
Rationale[edit | edit source]
- If you’ve ever tried to upload a file to Wikimedia Commons, you may have grown frustrated. Our new upload wizard aims to make it easier to contribute multimedia works to Wikimedia projects, and the first test results look promising.
- Wikimedia Commons is the media library associated with Wikipedia; it is a central repository for all Wikimedia projects, and any media file shared there can be used in any Wikipedia page in any language. Wikimedia Commons is curated by a multilingual community and recently reached 7 million files.
- Wikimedia Commons relies on MediaWiki, the same software that powers Wikipedia. Because MediaWiki was primarily developed for text-based content like Wikipedia articles, contributing multimedia works has always been a challenge.
- In July 2009, the Ford Foundation awarded a $300,000 grant to the Wikimedia Foundation to improve the tools and workflows related to multimedia participation. The following Multimedia usability project started in October with a phase of preliminary research, and we worked with the Wikimedia community to identify the key issues and design solutions.
More details can be found in the grant proposal.
Design documents[edit | edit source]
Most of the initial documentation pertaining to the Upload wizard was hosted on the Usability wiki.
- User requirements & specifications
- Original user interface design document; Additional design recommendations
- Software design document; Front-end software design document
- Message parser document
- Geolocation feature design document and use cases
Legacy documents[edit | edit source]
Operations[edit | edit source]
- Assessment of the upload wizard on Wikimedia operations
- Bandwidth comparison with the legacy upload tool on Wikimedia Commons
Testing[edit | edit source]
- Test plan & prototype wiki
- List of things to do to make prototype server ready for formal testing
- Commons:Prototype upload wizard feedback
Usability testing[edit | edit source]
June 2010[edit | edit source]
May-June 2011[edit | edit source]
Testing sessions done through usertesting.com:
- May 5, 2011 — 3 testers
- May 9, 2011 — 3 testers
- May 17, 2011 — 3 testers
- May 17, 2011 — 3 testers: legacy Wikimedia Commons upload form, to compare tester success/performance with UploadWizard.
- June 7, 2011 — 4 testers
- June 25, 2011 — 3 testers: Tester 'hrhme' demonstrates blacklist issues very well
- June 26, 2011 — 3 testers: Tester 'zazazing' fails on 'two files with the same title' bug
Additional documents[edit | edit source]
- Multimedia usability project report on meta-wiki.
- All files uploaded with UploadWizard on Wikimedia Commons
- commons:Special:UploadWizard: upload wizard on Wikimedia Commons
- Media files about the Multimedia usability project on Wikimedia Commons
- Task management: The development of this extension is primarily being tracked by bugzilla:27260. See also the full bug list
- Status updates